DaveTrader

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hi all,

I've been looking to get some new trousers and am finding most OTR brands have too low of a rise. I am a 40 or 42 waist depending on the brand and I'm finding most pants are now made with a 10-11 inch rise - which does NOT suit me well.

Last night I measured my best fitting trousers and the rise was a 13! I've seen as high as 12 inch rises on Ebay but never more than that. What is the normal rise for a 42 inch waist trouser?

EclecticSr.

Hi all,

I've been looking to get some new trousers and am finding most OTR brands have too low of a rise. I am a 40 or 42 waist depending on the brand and I'm finding most pants are now made with a 10-11 inch rise - which does NOT suit me well.

Last night I measured my best fitting trousers and the rise was a 13! I've seen as high as 12 inch rises on Ebay but never more than that. What is the normal rise for a 42 inch waist trouser?
I myself deplore low rise trousers, I'm these days 38-39 waist but I do drop, when my willpower kicks in to 36. Currently many manufacturers cater to twiggy like emaciated teens who believe wearing trousers at pubic level is a look all should adhere to. The minimum rise I wear is 11 1/2" . Try shopping vendors that offer more traditional sized clothing. Andover shop, O'Connell's, J.Press, etc. Berle trousers come to mind also. Of course, bespoke always an option. Don't go by what is considered normal.

winghus

Everyone's trousers are cut different and measure differently. I need long rise trousers myself and can give you these measurements. I have a 39 waist most of the time and wear pants from 38-40 depending on cut. If you are measuring rise as distance from crotch seam to top of waistband, that's wrong since a fuller cut has a larger curve for the same amount of rise versus a slim cut. True rise is outseam minus inseam. That being said, I'll give you the measurement from crotch seam to top of waistband as it's just quicker.

LL Bean Double L chinos: In size 38 (which is actually a 40 inch waist) the rise is 12.5 inches on a fairly full cut.

Poston Price chinos: 39 waist (TTS) 12 inches not a slim cut but definitely slimmer than the LL Beans

Samuelsohn wool trousers: 40 waist full cut 12.5 inches.

The Poston Price ride the highest of these but not by much. These are the 3 highest rise trousers I have right now. I generally make do with a rise about an inch lower. I have 2 pairs of JPress trousers on the way (big sale right now) and will let you know. They are the Hertling-made "Gene" cut which is the highest rise cut Hertling makes. IIRC Press used to sell long-rise versions of some of their pants but I'm not seeing that on the site right now.

Edit: Just found long-rise on the Press site, it's only available on the Italian wool trousers.

DaveTrader

If you are measuring rise as distance from crotch seam to top of waistband, that's wrong since a fuller cut has a larger curve for the same amount of rise versus a slim cut. True rise is outseam minus inseam.
Ahh... so maybe I'm measuring wrong. I've found some very nice Brioni's on Ebay, but the rise is only 11. I'll remeasure my pants tonight using the outseam minus inseam method.

Thanks Wing!

DaveTrader

winghus

Ahh... so maybe I'm measuring wrong. I've found some very nice Brioni's on Ebay, but the rise is only 11. I'll remeasure my pants tonight using the outseam minus inseam method.

Thanks Wing!
Most ebay sellers and retailers use the crotch to top of waistband measurement. You just need to know that a fuller cut can have a longer measurement without actually sitting higher on your waist.

G

Guest-591929

Couldn't help coming across this thread. Make your life easier. Just go to the Jos. Bank website and order trousers in your waist size with a long rise. Been doing this for years, and with a 38 waist, they come in at a 13.5 rise. Fit me perfectly with plenty of room and good drape and I'm not an easy fit--I've got a paunch and a big ass, so I need every bit of room I get. They can be had cheap on the Clearance section of the site, too. I've got close to two dozen, on the theory that "dress pants" will go the way of the dodo in a few decades, so I want to get as many as I can while the getting is good.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Couldn't help coming across this thread. Make your life easier. Just go to the Jos. Bank website and order trousers in your waist size with a long rise. Been doing this for years, and with a 38 waist, they come in at a 13.5 rise. Fit me perfectly with plenty of room and good drape and I'm not an easy fit--I've got a paunch and a big ass, so I need every bit of room I get. They can be had cheap on the Clearance section of the site, too. I've got close to two dozen, on the theory that "dress pants" will go the way of the dodo in a few decades, so I want to get as many as I can while the getting is good.
Didn't one or several of our members report that Jos. A. Banks was going out of business?

Charles Dana

Honors Member
They declared bankruptcy in August.
Tailored Brands, the parent company of Jos. A. Bank and Men’s Wearhouse, filed bankruptcy last August. However, it was a Chapter 11 debt restructuring/reorganization rather than a Chapter 7 liquidation.

Some stores (I heard 500) will close. What’s the long-term outlook? Who knows?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.