WouldaShoulda

Suspended
"Pulls Out??"

I think they could have said it more discretely.

Don't you?? :crazy:

https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57390492/a-7th-advertiser-pulls-out-of-limbaughs-show/

NEW YORK — A flower company is the seventh advertiser to pull its ads from conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh's radio program in reaction to his derogatory comments about a law student who testified about birth control policy.

ProFlowers said Sunday on its Facebook page that it has suspended advertising on Limbaugh's program because his comments about Georgetown University student Sandra Fluke "went beyond political discourse to a personal attack and do not reflect our values as a company."

The six other advertisers that say they have pulled ads from his show are mortgage lender Quicken Loans, mattress retailers Sleep Train and Sleep Number, software maker Citrix Systems Inc., online data backup service provider Carbonite and online legal document services company LegalZoom.

..."The contraception debate is one that sparks strong emotion and opinions on both sides of the issue," Premiere Networks said in a statement emailed Sunday by spokeswoman Rachel Nelson. "We respect the right of Mr. Limbaugh, as well as the rights of those who disagree with him, to express those opinions."

Clear Channel Media and Entertainment operates more than 850 radio stations in the U.S., and Premiere says it's the largest radio content provider in the country, syndicating programs to more than 5,000 affiliate stations.

When asked which companies or organizations were the largest advertisers on Limbaugh's show, Nelson said that that information was "proprietary." Nelson declined to say how much revenue the company will lose with the advertiser defections or how much revenue Limbaugh's show brings in.

Clear Channel's parent company was taken private in 2008 by private equity firms Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital.

I was affraid for a momment that they would omit the Bain dig, but heck, they can't "slip that one past the goalie!!"

Last edited:

FJW

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
"Pulls Out??"

I think they could have said it more discretely.

Don't you?? :crazy:

https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57390492/a-7th-advertiser-pulls-out-of-limbaughs-show/

Clear Channel's parent company was taken private in 2008 by private equity firms Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital.

I was affraid for a momment that they would omit the Bain dig, but heck, they can't "slip that one past the goalie!!"
...and Laura Ingraham is still waiting for President Obama to call her after Ed Shultz used the same word when referring to her.

Has Bain Capital now become the Halliburton of this election?

mrkleen

...and Laura Ingraham is still waiting for President Obama to call her after Ed Shultz used the same word when referring to her.
If you cant see the difference between a person who insults people for a living - getting insulted by a fellow pundit - and a public citizen being slandered by a loud mouth, convicted drug addict, I dont know what to tell you.

FJW

No, I can certainly see the private v public person difference but I thought it was the 'word' that prompted President Obama to make the telephone call and although he called for a toning down of the rhetoric...no one seemed to have gotten memo!

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
No, I can certainly see the private v public person difference but I thought it was the 'word' that prompted President Obama to make the telephone call and although he called for a toning down of the rhetoric...no one seemed to have gotten memo!
I agree with turning down the rhetoric, but just to be clear Ms. Fluke quite voluntarily chose to become a public figure. I don't think the double standard can be excused so easily.

mrkleen

I agree with turning down the rhetoric, but just to be clear Ms. Fluke quite voluntarily chose to become a public figure. I don't think the double standard can be excused so easily.
Ms Fluke was asked to testify in front of congress, she did. BIG difference between her and a talk show host (who spends her day passing judgement on and insulting people for a living.)

You guys TOTALLY see the distinction, but it doesnt suit your current position to admit it.

Jovan

Honors Member
Rush Limbaugh needs to take a good look at himself before he passes morality judgment on others.

He gave a very half-hearted apology recently and claimed, "the left made me apologize". Apparently not just the left, many Republicans found his rhetoric disgusting as well! Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum didn't do much to denounce him though. Maybe they're afraid of losing the vote of misogynistic, thrice divorced political pundits with prescription drug addictions.

dks202

Ms Fluke was asked to testify in front of congress, she did.

Fluke was never asked to testify before Congress and she never did, the committee did not want to hear her. Issa denied her testimony citing the inability to vet Fluke.

After being turned down, some democrats held a press conference that was STAGED to appear like a congressional hearing. It meant nothing other than a feminist and some democrats getting her message on tv despite being turned down by Congress.

Leighton

Fluke was never asked to testify before Congress and she never did, the committee did not want to hear her. Issa denied her testimony citing the inability to vet Fluke.

After being turned down, some democrats held a press conference that was STAGED to appear like a congressional hearing. It meant nothing other than a feminist and some democrats getting her message on tv despite being turned down by Congress.
If it was your daughter/niece/grand-daughter/etc, would you take Limbaugh's comments in stride?

Regillus

From the Washington Post:

"Two more national advertisers — online giant AOL and tax service Tax Resolution — said Monday that they were suspending their sponsorship of Limbaugh, bringing the total number of companies fleeing Limbaugh to nine. In addition, two local advertisers, Hadeed Carpet and Rug and window-replacement company Thompson Creek said they have pulled their ads from WMAL AM-FM, which airs Limbaugh’s show in the Washington area."

So that makes 11 total advertisers who've cancelled ads. I wonder how many it would take to get the show cancelled. It was wrong of Limbaugh to slander a private citizen who had been requested by Congress to testify. Worse, nothing that Limbaugh said about her was even true. Limbaugh "jumped the shark" because his show and his influence are fading. If people really wanted his show off the air; an organized boycott of his advertisers would do it.

Last edited:

mrkleen

She sat in a room in the Capitol, in front of a microphone and members of congress about an issue which she was ASKED to speak on. The fact that Issa used some BS argument for excluding her does not change any of the facts.

Not sure what the difference is to this argument. Are you suggesting that a statement is less slanderous if it is spoken about a person at a press conference than a person in a congressional hearing?

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
Ms Fluke was asked to testify in front of congress, she did. BIG difference between her and a talk show host (who spends her day passing judgement on and insulting people for a living.)

You guys TOTALLY see the distinction, but it doesnt suit your current position to admit it.
Actually mrkleen it is you who TOTALLY understands that Ms. Fluke is a public figure of her own choosing, but you care only about winning an argument and not a whit about truth. That said, the status of Ms Fluke and Ms. Palin does not excuse the rhetoric, and Limbaugh was right to apologize, just as Maher et al were right to apologize (oh wait ....).

Last edited:

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
If it was your daughter/niece/grand-daughter/etc, would you take Limbaugh's comments in stride?
Limbaugh is a dick!!

Ms. Fluke is simply not a very astute shopper!!

https://www.weeklystandard.com/blog...friends-are-going-broke-pay-pills_632955.html

Georgetown Students Go Broke to Buy Birth Control? Target Sells Pills for $9 Per Month

Nancy Pelosi held a congressional hearing on Monday with a single witness, Georgetown student Sandra Fluke, to testify about the need for Obamacare to mandate that religious institutions provide free contraception and abortifacients under their health insurance plans.

“Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they struggled financially as a result of this policy,” Fluke testified regarding the Catholic university's policy of not covering birth control. “Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school.”

But Fluke's testimony was very misleading. Birth control pills can be purchased for as low as $9 per month at a pharmacy near Georgetown's campus. According to an employee at the pharmacy in Washington, D.C.'s Target store, the pharmacy sells birth control pills--the generic versions of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Ortho-Cyclen--for $9 per month. "That's the price without insurance," the Target employee said. Nine dollars is less than the price of two beers at a Georgetown bar.

It strains credulity to believe that a single Georgetown student can't afford $9 per month for birth control. But this is the justification the mandate's supporters give for forcing religious institutions to purchase insurance that violates their religious and moral convictions.

FJW

It strains credulity to believe that a single Georgetown student can't afford $9 per month for birth control. But this is the justification the mandate's supporters give for forcing religious institutions to purchase insurance that violates their religious and moral convictions.

And the arguement seems to have jumped from religious freedom to women's rights.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
And the arguement seems to have jumped from religious freedom to women's rights.
It's not even a "religious or moral" issue for me. Any individual or employer that wants to limit or restrict any coverage option to save money on premium dollars, should have the opportunity to do so without a Federal Mandate.

Even local mandates here in Maryland are out of control.

They do not make coverage less expensive as we are promised, they drive up the cost of insurance as any amateur economist can predict.

mrkleen

Actually mrkleen it is you who TOTALLY understands that Ms. Fluke is a public figure of her own choosing, but you care only about winning an argument and not a whit about truth. That said, the status of Ms Fluke and Ms. Palin does not excuse the rhetoric, and Limbaugh was right to apologize, just as Maher et al were right to apologize (oh wait ....).
Mike - you as a lawyer should know best what slander is. When Mr. Limbaugh is forced to pay Ms Fluke a nice tidy sum in the near future, I invite you to come out here and explain what happened

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals