Regillus

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Right, what Obamacare is - is a Republican idea - Newt Gingrichlike Mitt Romney, Orrin Hatch, the Heritage Foundation, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon and most other leading Republicans — were FOR health care mandates before they were AGAINST them.
The idea of National Health Insurance has been around since FDR:

During FDR’s reign:
Wagner-Murray-Dingell Bills: 1943

The Wagner Bill evolved and shifted from a proposal for federal grants-in- aid to a proposal for national health insurance. First introduced in 1943, it became the very famous Wagner-Murray- Dingell Bill. The bill called for compulsory national health insurance and a payroll tax.

This Day in Truman History
November 19, 1945
President Truman's Proposed Health Program

The most controversial aspect of the plan was the proposed national health insurance plan. In his November 19, 1945 address, President Truman called for the creation of a national health insurance fund to be run by the federal government. This fund would be open to all Americans, but would remain optional. Participants would pay monthly fees into the plan, which would cover the cost of any and all medical expenses that arose in a time of need. The government would pay for the cost of services rendered by any doctor who chose to join the program. In addition, the insurance plan would give a cash balance to the policy holder to replace wages lost due to illness or injury.

...President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed a kind of universal health care.

Eisenhower asked Congress for $25 million to fund what he called health "reinsurance."

Under the Eisenhower plan, private insurance companies who extended benefits to uninsured Americans would be reimbursed by the federal government should they incur excessive [losses]. In a way, the government was insuring the insurers.
---------------------------------

What derailed national health insurance this time around was one man: Sen. Joe Lieberman. He objected to the inclusion of a "public option" i.e. publicly-paid for health insurance because he thought it was too expensive. Lieberman isn't running again, so if a democrat tide sweeps into office in 2013; voted in by angry unemployed workers and foreclosed-upon homeowners; maybe next time around mandatory national health insurance will at long last pass.

Last edited:

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
[h=1]The ‘War on Women’ loses a general after Sandra Fluke rejected by California voters[/h]The hollow and silly “War on Women” narrative may never truly disappear. Democrats will need to marshal grievance among young and single women like never before if Hillary Clinton becomes the party’s standard-bearer in 2016. But the 2014 elections have dealt this vacuous yarn a blow from which it may never recover.

https://hotair.com/archives/2014/11...sandra-flukes-rejection-by-california-voters/

SG_67

Connoisseur
I'm not convinced that Hillary is going to be the nominee.

She's quite the lousy candidate actually. She's terrible in the stump, thin skinned, doesn't come across as authentic and plain unlikable.

Of course I'm biased but that an objective opinion. I don't agree with Bill's politics but he seems genuine, likable and interesting and fun to listen to. Hillary can't connect, Bill can. I can hangout with Bill. Hillary reminds me of a grade school nun.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
I'm not convinced that Hillary is going to be the nominee.

She's quite the lousy candidate actually. She's terrible in the stump, thin skinned, doesn't come across as authentic and plain unlikable.

Of course I'm biased but that an objective opinion. I don't agree with Bill's politics but he seems genuine, likable and interesting and fun to listen to. Hillary can't connect, Bill can. I can hangout with Bill. Hillary reminds me of a grade school nun.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: This country would have been much better off if Hillary Clinton had become president instead of Barack Obama. She was, and is, ready. Obama would have been a very good president, I think, if he had gained more experience in Washington before going to the White House. We will never know, of course.

While your points on Hillary are well taken, I think that she would make a good president, and I that think she will be the nominee. I don't see anyone else at this point, but there's still time. I don't think she'll win the White House, and I think that's a shame because I think she'd be a good president. She's pretty sharp on her own, but I also think that she's smart enough to listen to her husband, who is hands-down the smartest living politician in this country. I don't see a Hillary Clinton administration getting quagmired. Her best shot of making the White House is if Jeb Bush somehow gets the GOP nod. I think that she could beat him.

Whether you'd want to have a beer with her or not, the level of hatred toward Hillary--and her husband--in this country has always astounded me. I've never found anyone who hated them deeply, and there are lots of people like that, who could say just what it was in their policies that prompted such hatred. It has always been "Hillary is a b---h," or "Bill couldn't keep his zipper shut and lied about it." OK, fine. Would you rather have Mister Rogers in the White House?

SG_67

Connoisseur
^ I'm sorry but while there is no definitive "previous work experience" required to be the POTUS, how exactly is she ready?
What has she done and what have been her achievements other than being married to a philanderer who happens to be charming?

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
^ I'm sorry but while there is no definitive "previous work experience" required to be the POTUS, how exactly is she ready?
What has she done and what have been her achievements other than being married to a philanderer who happens to be charming?
Exactly what I'm talking about. People have a visceral reaction to the Clintons that's based on personalities, not abilities.

She is ready by virtue of having lived in Washington for a long time. She knows how that town works, and doesn't work. She is ready because she's been secretary of state. International experience. She is ready because she's served in the Senate. Legislative experience. She is ready because she has suffered the slings and arrows, and thrown a few herself, and lived to tell the tale.

Can you think of any potential candidate with the breadth of experience that Hillary Clinton possesses? Good luck.

Now, you may disagree with her politics. You may not like her because you think she's a b---h (and I'd say that's a double standard--when a man exhibits the same qualities, he is considered hard-nosed). You may not like her for a lot of reasons. But I don't think you can say that she doesn't have experience. She is, arguably, the most experienced candidate for the office in U.S. history outside of incumbents and Grover Cleveland.

I think you have to give Hillary Clinton a lot of credit. What other woman in U.S. history can match her accomplishments in terms of offices held, both elective and appointive? What other woman has come as close as she has to winning the presidency? She's a serious candidate, and she is taken seriously. You and I can never know, being men, but I suspect that climbing as high as she has is tougher for a woman than it would be for a man, and that might explain why she can come off as gruff. She didn't get ahead by asking the menfolk whether she can brew up a fresh pot of coffee for them.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^While I agree with your observation that Hillary C. is far better prepared than Barrack Obama to occupy the Oval office, she spends too much of her time concealing the truth, calling to mind images of a 'cat covering their own excrement. It's time we, the electorate restored some degree of integrity to the Presidency. Frankly I see no one on either side of the aisle, presently being considered that I would be comfortable seeing in the White House. If John McCain were a few years younger, he would be my choice, but frankly I doubt he has sufficient years left on this Earth to serve out one, let alone two terms as President! :(

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
^^While I agree with your observation that Hillary C. is far better prepared than Barrack Obama to occupy the Oval office, she spends too much of her time concealing the truth, calling to mind images of a 'cat covering their own excrement. It's time we, the electorate restored some degree of integrity to the Presidency. Frankly I see no one on either side of the aisle, presently being considered that I would be comfortable seeing in the White House. If John McCain were a few years younger, he would be my choice, but frankly I doubt he has sufficient years left on this Earth to serve out one, let alone two terms as President! :(
What politician doesn't?

Hillary Clinton, in my opinion, has been and is being held to a higher standard than any other candidate. If she has more to explain and, perhaps, cover up, it is because she has a longer track record. It is very easy for young whipper snappers to come in howling about Benghazi and the like. They should try being the man, so to speak, in the arena for awhile before they start casting stones. She has tons more integrity than Dubya and Dick Cheney and a lot of other scuzz bags who were never fit to hold the offices they reached.

Hillary Clinton, in my estimation, has more balls than the whole Bush clan put together, and then some. She certainly has more brain cells than most other potential candidates. And still we keep hearing "stuff" about how she shouldn't be president. I like McCain but he is too knee-jerk to be in the Oval Office, in my opinion. And let's not forget the savings and loan scandal. McCain was one of the Keating Five. Hillary Clinton never prostituted herself the way that he did.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
You might find this amusing, Eagle:

[video=youtube;reRTXJSyTjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRTXJSyTjo[/video]
LOL. Well played. Thank you Jovan for what will, in all probability, prove to be my best laugh of the day! Although, I'm somewhat embarrassed...should we be laughing that hard in the wee hours of a Sunday morning? ;)

MaxBuck

Elite Member
^^While I agree with your observation that Hillary C. is far better prepared than Barrack Obama to occupy the Oval office, she spends too much of her time concealing the truth...
I know this is an old-fashioned viewpoint, but we could use a bit less candor in the White House. The most honest Presidents in my lifetime have been the worst, an exception perhaps being the incumbent.

This shouldn't be regarded as a statement of support, however, for Ms. Clinton, though I reserve the right to vote for her if the GOP nominates a clueless dweeb like Bachmann, Palin or Cruz.

In fact, I'm a lot more inclined to support Michael Palin than Sarah.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.