A Barbour Question

drpeter

I have several Barbours, all in generally good condition. This morning I noticed a couple of stains on the one I wear most frequently, a Bedale -- one small set of quarter-inch spatters on the back near the right shoulder, the other slightly larger (an inch across, half and inch wide) on the right sleeve. This jacket is about ten years old. The stains look a bit like oil, although I am sure that it is unlikely to be motor oil, since I don't wear this while working on my car. No idea how I got it, and I am fairly careful with this jacket, it being rather expensive.

I am aware that stains on waxed jackets are hard to remove, and a simple sponging with water did not do any good. My question: Will re-waxing the jacket professionally (at the Barbour Outlet in Maine or New Hampshire) remove or cover up these small stains? Since the outlet is currently closed this will be a project for the late summer or early Fall. If any of you have any experience with these stains, I would love to have your advice. If nothing can be done, I will simply chalk it up to character and patina, LOL.

Last edited:

drpeter

I'd go for the patina. I mean, have you ever seen HRH the POW's Barbour? Now that's character!
Thanks! I'll look for a pic of the POW's Barbour. It's not quite like searching for any port in a storm, LOL. But good to know I am in Royal company.

drpeter

Barbour in Maine can do miracles. You can drop the coat at a local Orvis store to send it in.
Thanks. Your confidence is reassuring. I have no idea where my nearest Orvis shop is. I'm in the middle of Wisconsin. But I'll do some searching, and perhaps calling. I did check the Barbour websites and they say they are not accepting any garments for re-waxing or repairs at the moment. And that's quite all right -- I don't mind waiting for a few months if necessary. I can happily wear the jacket at this time, since it is an everyday jacket and it's the tail end of spring. And soon it will be summer and I'll be wearing T shirts and polo shirts!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
6c343d36aa8fc117cb6f4710cc1d5e6c.jpg

He's been wearing it for 40 years!

drpeter

View attachment 43198

He's been wearing it for 40 years!
Yes, I found this picture too. But one reporter states that it is actually a John Partridge coat and not a Barbour! I have a John Partridge jacket as well, but it is wool and not a waxed cotton model. It's a wonderful jacket! Thanks, though. Mine has a long way to go before it gets to that stage.

I like old things maintained to a certain level, although the POW is rather extreme. I do have Bill's Khakis trousers that are patched, and they have such cachet...Also a beautifully beat-up and scratched brown leather jacket that I will not part with for anything!

mhj

Yes, I found this picture too. But one reporter states that it is actually a John Partridge coat and not a Barbour! I have a John Partridge jacket as well, but it is wool and not a waxed cotton model. It's a wonderful jacket! Thanks, though. Mine has a long way to go before it gets to that stage.

I like old things maintained to a certain level, although the POW is rather extreme. I do have Bill's Khakis trousers that are patched, and they have such cachet...Also a beautifully beat-up and scratched brown leather jacket that I will not part with for anything!
My mother always said that when you're rich you can get away with anything. If I wore that Barbour people would be offering me quarters.

drpeter

Prince Charles doesn't stop at gardening jackets. The old boy patches a jacket from an A & S suit, and a handmade shoe as well. It's called the Old Money look. Well, he's about as Old Money as they come, I suppose.

1588127931980.png

1588127967283.png

David J. Cooper

When I bought my Beaufort I decided that it would be my all purpose winter jacket. At the time I worked in a boat yard. I was helping a co worker mix up a batch of epoxy for a repair and got some on the zipper cover. It was one component so it did not cure but rather soaked into the waxed cotton. It became a stain about the size of a tortellini.

I chose not to obsess about it. Eventually it seemed to fade. When I had the jacket waxed it all but disappeared. These are country jackets and are meant to be used. A stain here and there shouldn’t bother the wearer.

And I understand he has his clothes and shoes patched because he objects to the cost of new ones. And this is the heir to the British throne!
My understanding is that since there is a strong minority republican sentiment resenting the fact that the royal household is essentially “on the dole”, the POW uses these visuals as a foil to convey a disproportionate sense of frugality vs. some sentimental attachment to tattered remnants of his 1980s wardrobe.

I am a fan no matter what the underlying truth. More power to him and his support of sustainability and local manufacturing!

Cheers,

BSR

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange