Mike Petrik

Honors Member
I agree with most part of the chart except why cant you wear wingtips with a suit?
Wingtips with a suit is classic standard business-wear in the US, especially balmoral wingtips. Note the chart displays blucher wingtips, which usually are sub-optimal (meaning not the best choice, but not necessarily inappropriate) for suits.

Last edited:

El_Abogado

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
An amateur men's fashion enthusiast made a helpful guide to choosing appropriate footwear.
All I needed to read from the article, because unnamed amateur fashion enthusiasts on the internet are just who I want dictating my fashion decisions.

RogerP

Connoisseur
I imagine this chart would be of help to a great many men who haven't the first clue when it comes to footwear. Don't even get me started on the guys who wear running shoes with a suit while commuting. You certainly wouldn't go wrong adhering to the listed suggestions. I do find the suit selections far too restrictive, however. I wear a suit almost every day of the week, and wouldn't like to be forced to choose from only among those very plain offerings. And I have never bought into the concept that one should only wear balmorals with a suit.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
I imagine this chart would be of help to a great many men who haven't the first clue when it comes to footwear. Don't even get me started on the guys who wear running shoes with a suit while commuting. You certainly wouldn't go wrong adhering to the listed suggestions. I do find the suit selections far too restrictive, however. I wear a suit almost every day of the week, and wouldn't like to be forced to choose from only among those very plain offerings. And I have never bought into the concept that one should only wear balmorals with a suit.
Bals are more formal than bluchers only if all other things are equal. The type of leather (smooth versus pebbled), degree of brogueing, the shape or last, and the color all contribute to a shoe's degree of formality or informality. Plenty of bluchers pair better with suits than plenty of bals. While I rarely wear bluchers with a suit, that is mostly because of personal preference and the options in my closet. I agree that it is definitely *not* wrong per se, and many well-dressed men wear bluchers with suits.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange