A most annoying commercial

rip

Elite Member
There is currently running on American TV a commercial showing an Italian chef in a Italian restaurant bemoaning the loss of his business to Bertoli Pasta, clearly an Italian product, by singing something set to the Habanera from Carmen, an opera written by a Frenchman, in French and set in Spain. NB to commercial ad execs: All opera is not Italian!

Miket61

Elite Member
There is currently running on American TV a commercial showing an Italian chef in a Italian restaurant bemoaning the loss of his business to Bertoli Pasta, clearly an Italian product, by singing something set to the Habanera from Carmen, an opera written by a Frenchman, in French and set in Spain. NB to commercial ad execs: All opera is not Italian!

People of a certain age would also remember Carmen because of:

The Dorothy Dandridge/Harry Belafonte movie Carmen Jones, in English, or;

The episode of Gilligan's Island where they stage Hamlet as an opera to the music of Carmen.

rip

Elite Member
People of a certain age would also remember Carmen because of:

The Dorothy Dandridge/Harry Belafonte movie Carmen Jones, in English, or;

The episode of Gilligan's Island where they stage Hamlet as an opera to the music of Carmen.
Being of such a certain age, Belafonte's rendition of La fleur que tu m'avais jetée, although done in English, is forever in my memory.

ajo

Being of a certain age I remember Malcom McLaren's version of Carmen which I though caught the sprit of the piece and of the times.

And for that matter does anyone remember the flamenco version of the opera? Was it by Paco Penna?

Canadian

To say nothing of the local radio ad where an elderly female garage owner implores us to get our cars serviced because it will extend their lifetime by 20 years.

I have never owned a car which could even theoretically run for 20 years with the number of miles I put on it. I'm talking low end luxury sedans (Buicks) mind you, but my 04 Ion sure wouldn't have made it 20 years and it was in the shop more often than a Rolls.

To say nothing of my desire to own an ancient low end sedan. My friend's 96 Infiniti G20 is as old as I'd ever dare to climb into for a trip longer than a few blocks.

Thomas

Miket61

Elite Member
I have never owned a car which could even theoretically run for 20 years with the number of miles I put on it. I'm talking low end luxury sedans (Buicks) mind you, but my 04 Ion sure wouldn't have made it 20 years and it was in the shop more often than a Rolls.

The only twenty-year-old cars I see on the road with any regularity, in good condition, are Mercedes-Benzes and Volvos.

The longest I've ever kept a Buick was fourteen years; a 1990 Century was traded in on a 2004 LeSabre. The Century had been my grandmother's car and rarely used until 1998; when she gave it to me I alternated between it and a 1995 Riviera. The Riviera gave out after thirteen years and about 160,000 miles.

rip

Elite Member
Being of a certain age I remember Malcom McLaren's version of Carmen which I though caught the sprit of the piece and of the times.

And for that matter does anyone remember the flamenco version of the opera? Was it by Paco Penna?
Carlos Saura directed it, with Antonio Gades and Laura Del Sol, (with Paco de Lucia as the guitar player, whom you may be confusing with Paco Pena). It is part of his flamenco trilogy along with Bodas de Sangre (Blood Wedding) and El Amor Brujo. I saw Blood wedding first, and was so entranced by it that I sat through it twice more.

Last edited:

Arnold Gingrich fan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Along these lines...

The "theme song" of El Pollo Loco, a chain of Mexican fast food restaurants, is "Guantanamera", a quintessentially Cuban tune with lyrics from a poem by Cuba's national hero, José Martí.

You can imagine how Cuban-Americans feel about El Pollo Loco's advertising campaign.

Miket61

Elite Member
You can imagine how Cuban-Americans feel about El Pollo Loco's advertising campaign.

I'm always irritated by barbecue places with smiling pig mascots. Don't they know they're going to be eaten?

Then there's local Mexican chain El Taco Veloz. The mascot is a taco with a head, legs, and a big sombrero. And he's running for his life. Maybe he could get a side job educating pigs?

rip

Elite Member
Along these lines...

The "theme song" of El Pollo Loco, a chain of Mexican fast food restaurants, is "Guantanamera", a quintessentially Cuban tune with lyrics from a poem by Cuba's national hero, José Martí.

We do have this "interchangeable ethnic" mentality in the US, seeing, for example, no significant difference between Cubans and Mexicans and any other Hispanic group (or, for that matter, between any darker-skinned peoples). In the aftermath of 9/11, a friend of mine who is Mexican, was beaten by a roving gang of "whites" who kept calling him an Arab.

Miket61

Elite Member
In the aftermath of 9/11, a friend of mine who is Mexican, was beaten by a roving gang of "whites" who kept calling him an Arab.

A friend's son was wearing dreadlocks around the time of 9/11. Someone shouted at him at a red light, "go back where you came from!" and called him an Arab. He responded, accurately, "I'm Italian, you a$$hole!"

Relayer

Most irritating TV commercial to me is the Coke Zero series with the lawyer "lets sue, deport them, etc etc" thing.

On the other hand, I used to flail at the remote to quickly change the channel when the Sonic guys at the drive through commercials came on. Now, I think that whole series is brilliant. I'm hoping they release them all on dvd.

rip

Elite Member
Most irritating TV commercial to me is the Coke Zero series with the lawyer "lets sue, deport them, etc etc" thing.

On the other hand, I used to flail at the remote to quickly change the channel when the Sonic guys at the drive through commercials came on. Now, I think that whole series is brilliant. I'm hoping they release them all on dvd.
For a very different reason, the Sonic drive-in commercials irritated me because there wasn't one within 100 miles of me, yet they were on the local cable channels... go figure!

rgrossicone

Elite Member
For a very different reason, the Sonic drive-in commercials irritated me because there wasn't one within 100 miles of me, yet they were on the local cable channels... go figure!

The closest Sonic to us in the metro NY area is West Virginia, Charleston I believe. I actually called their 800 number to ask if they had any plans to open Sonic's around NYC, the answer was no...:( Yet, every sporting event has at least 2 Sonic commercials on NY tv.

By farthe most annoying commercials for me are the Spanish Singers doing "877-353-4-4-4-8" and the stupid Geico commercials with the lizard.

I do thoroughly enjoy, and laugh out loud, at the Sprint commercial where the purple dinosaur can't come to the 6 year old b-day party, and they send a T-Rex instead...kids screaming and crying and a T-Rex roaring...hilarious!

jackmccullough

Honors Member
I make a practice of muting the commercials when they come on, so I don't hear them and often don't know what they're advertising.

That said, I do find the GEICO cave man commercials annoying, although not as annoying as I would have found their TV show. (Seriously, what's the mentality that says "Let's take the annoying commercials and inflict them on people for a half hour in a row every week"?)

The other trend in commercial that bugs me is the commercials where they take video of live actors and alter it to make it look like animation. I think Charles Schwab has some, but they're not the only advertiser to do that. Why do they think that makes an appealing commercial?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange