A Pocket Square Thread

TMMKC

Honors Member
I love pocket squares (the collection keeps growing)

I wear them whenever I wear a sports coat, blazer or suit

They show a elevated sense of style

Women love them

They're cool

In this world of "business casual," pocket squares...in some respects...have replaced ties

...but, in the end, a pocket square is just of piece of cloth. I don't think less of anyone who doesn't wear one. It's a matter of choice.

EastVillageTrad

I have a variety of paisley and patterned conservative pocket squares which I wear to evening cocktail parties or other events, at the office w/ a suit they are a bit ostentacious, so I let them slide down into the breast pocket, whereas they are properly puffed in the evening...

Handkerchief always in the back pocket for the sneeze...

P Hudson

I almost always wear a square with a jacket because I am usually aiming for a relaxed look. Where I teach, a jacket is already "dressed up". I think it is obviously more casual to shove a piece of cloth in your pocket than to tie a tie. Furthermore, it adds variety to the large and uninterrupted field of cloth created by the jacket.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Prior to my association with AAAC, I cannot say that I ever wore a pocket square. While I still do not display a PS on a regular basis when wearing a suit or sport coat, I do choose to do so on an occasional basis, as the mood strikes! At present, mine are all white linen and the only fold I use is the TV fold. Quite frankly, in the circles I frequent these days, I cannot say that I have seen anyone, other than myself, wearing a pocket square...to each his/her own, I suppose! ;)

mcarthur

Connoisseur
I love pocket squares (the collection keeps growing)

I wear them whenever I wear a sports coat, blazer or suit

They show a elevated sense of style

Women love them

They're cool

In this world of "business casual," pocket squares...in some respects...have replaced ties

...but, in the end, a pocket square is just of piece of cloth. I don't think less of anyone who doesn't wear one. It's a matter of choice.

nephew,
very well stated

TradMichael

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If I'm wearing a suit, I'm wearing a ps. Ditto for jacket and tie.

Sports coat or jacket without tie and I won't have a ps either. (The breast pocket will mostly likely have a pen in it then)

The Rambler

Honors Member
Don't use my breast pocket for anything. . . hmmm hadn't thought it that way.

Still, who really puts a used handkerchief back in their breast pocket? Or maybe you all do.

I do. It's easy with nice linen. Don't like polishing my glasses with my tie, and my snotrag (right rear pocket) might be, well, don't want to polish glasses with it, or offer it to anyone.

I quite agree with TMMKC and PH that the pocket square is evolving as an acceptable substitute for a necktie in certain situations.

dek40206

Starting Member
Wear one any time I wear a suit or sport coat. I'd feel a bit naked without one at this point. As I tend to wear, and always have worn, a silk knit tie, a little foulard in the pocket is a subtle way to introduce pattern to something otherwise very plain.

Dingo McPhee

I see a lot of tongue in cheek comments like this: "looks good but where's the pocket square?"
I don't see this as tongue-in-cheek. Maybe I'm just missing the joke, but I interpret it as "not bad, but would look better with a pocket square."

R0ME0

i wear pocket squares whenever I wear suits that are not sack suits but whenever I wear a suit with peak lapels, side vents, I do add on a pocket square.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange