TKI67

Elite Member
If you lived in a place with long, hot summers and were picking a summer suit and had narrowed it to oyster poplin, olive poplin, or blue and white seersucker, which would you pick? Main uses would be church, likely outdoors.

G

Guest-253861

If you lived in a place with long, hot summers and were picking a summer suit and had narrowed it to oyster poplin, olive poplin, or blue and white seersucker, which would you pick? Main uses would be church, likely outdoors.
Olive poplin.

delicious_scent

If I had to pick, olive poplin. I'm a sucker for anything olive coloured in any season.

With that said, any cotton suit being worn outside in a hot summer sounds really uncomfortable. I'd rather look for a tropical wool suit*.

*I've never worn a tropical wool suit, but I read it's preferred in hot climates.

fishertw

Elite Member
I find that Olive is my preference however, I currently have navy poplin and a tan seersucker, but being retired, I have few occasions to wear them.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
If you lived in a place with long, hot summers and were picking a summer suit and had narrowed it to oyster poplin, olive poplin, or blue and white seersucker, which would you pick?
No.

Nuh-uh. It doesn’t work like that. Sorry.

This is a clothing forum. You don’t get to narrow possible outfits down to just one choice. That Marie Kondo stuff won’t wash here. It’s anathema. At all times you must embrace sartorial surfeit, or risk having your membership privileges revoked. Being retired doesn’t get you off the [coat] hook.

(In the event you won’t listen to me, then go ahead and heed smmrfld’s advice. He correctly pointed out that the olive poplin suit would be the most versatile.)

TKI67

Elite Member
No.

Nuh-uh. It doesn’t work like that. Sorry.

This is a clothing forum. You don’t get to narrow possible outfits down to just one choice. That Marie Kondo stuff won’t wash here. It’s anathema. At all times you must embrace sartorial surfeit, or risk having your membership privileges revoked. Being retired doesn’t get you off the [coat] hook.

(In the event you won’t listen to me, then go ahead and heed smmrfld’s advice. He correctly pointed out that the olive poplin suit would be the most versatile.)
I stand admonished. Consider it a question of prioritization. I get enough use from summer suits in our March to November summers that adding to whichever is first has some inevitability. I think the olive is a great call, but how can you not love the others as well?

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I get enough use from summer suits in our March to November summers that adding to whichever is first has some inevitability. I think the olive is a great call, but how can you not love the others as well?
Oh. Now I understand. You’re going to add to an existing wardrobe of summer suits, but by just one more increment.

That’s a different story. Versatility is not necessarily paramount in that case. Then if I lived in the southern part of the USA, I’d get the seersucker suit if I already had a few non-seersucker summer suits.

TKI67

Elite Member
Oh. Now I understand. You’re going to add to an existing wardrobe of summer suits, but by just one more increment.

That’s a different story. Versatility is not necessarily paramount in that case. Then if I lived in the southern part of the USA, I’d get the seersucker suit if I already had a few non-seersucker summer suits.
Actually I am rebuilding from ground zero in my new correct size, sufficiently different from my prior size that alterations would have been costly and likely more magic than my tailor could make, or so she said.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Actually I am rebuilding from ground zero in my new correct size, sufficiently different from my prior size that alterations would have been costly and likely more magic than my tailor could make, or so she said.
Then get two suits to begin with: the olive poplin and the seersucker. That would be harder on your pocketbook but easier on my keyboard.

😁

Last edited:

Dr.Watson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If in South Carolina maybe seersucker (I'd go with grey and white, personally, as it's easier on the eyes to me), just because it's so de rigueur there in the summer. Anywhere else probably oyster poplin. Seersucker may be as common in the Deep South as in SC, I just haven't spent much time there so I can't confirm. I hardly ever see people in seersucker here in NC, but I live in Durham which is mostly people who moved in from out of state so that might explain it.

TKI67

Elite Member
If in South Carolina maybe seersucker (I'd go with grey and white, personally, as it's easier on the eyes to me), just because it's so de rigueur there in the summer. Anywhere else probably oyster poplin. Seersucker may be as common in the Deep South as in SC, I just haven't spent much time there so I can't confirm. I hardly ever see people in seersucker here in NC, but I live in Durham which is mostly people who moved in from out of state so that might explain it.
I love grey seersucker, but I cannot find it in the cut I prefer.

drpeter

If I had to pick, olive poplin. I'm a sucker for anything olive coloured in any season.

With that said, any cotton suit being worn outside in a hot summer sounds really uncomfortable. I'd rather look for a tropical wool suit*.

*I've never worn a tropical wool suit, but I read it's preferred in hot climates.
One possibility is a linen-cotton blend. The linen is very cool (in terms of temperature, that is) and the cotton will guard a bit against wrinkles, not quite as prone as linen to wrinkle. I actually don't mind some wrinkles in my clothes, they are meant to be lived in, after all.

There's also fresco cloth, but that is not easily available in ready made clothing.

challer

Sorry, long hot summers mean linen and lots of it. I find poplin warm wearing and would take a tropical worsted or finmeresco over poplin. Linen is the ultimate. DC summers are long hot and very humid. You’d probably have to go MTM to get the fabrics discussed.

drpeter

Some other materials:

A wool-linen blend, like a cotton-linen blend will also be fairly comfortable in hot weather. Remember that wool helps to keep the heat out, and away from the body. I have worn wool and wool-blend trousers ten degrees north of the equator and been reasonably comfortable.

Silk, and silk-blend fabrics are also classic summer suitings. A silk suit can be quite elegant, if cut and draped properly. Here too, there is some likelihood of wrinkles. Silk appears to be rarer these days as suiting. I have silk sportcoats that look lovely, and are light and comfortable, especially tussore/tussah silk. Certain hopsacks and twist flannels are also good for warm weather.

Tropical-wear fabrics, like fresco and finmeresco, are usually high-twist, which means, it is made of a weave that is more porous and breathes better. Holland & Sherry, Fox, Dugdale and other companies come highly recommended for these fabrics.

In the end, one simply has to experiment a bit and figure out what suits you best. LOL, my summer suits mostly hang in the closet these days, and my usual wear would be shorts and a T shirt, or poplin slacks and a polo shirt. Maybe a seersucker sports jacket (I have two or three), and occasionally a pair of seersucker trousers. I do not own a seersucker suit.

Last edited:

drpeter

Come to Wisconsin, old boy! We'll tour the estate in that Cutlass, and then depart for thrift shops everywhere. I think it might end up like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Or maybe Thelma and Louise...although there is hardly a cliff to drive off in this flat part of the world. A few rolling hills, maybe. I used to say carpenters don't need levels in Illinois, and Wisconsin comes close.

All seriousness aside, however, in 37 years of living in this beautiful state, I have never seen a man (or a woman, for that matter) in a seersucker suit. Maybe those Mainers wear them.

Dhaller

Elite Member
If the uses are "church and maybe outdoors", I'd go with the seersucker. It just has that "garden party" look which works milling around after church or at some kind of terrace-bound post-church brunch.

If you feel it looks too "stripey" you can go white/grey rather than white/blue.

But that's *me*: I'm usually a bit tan (cyclist), thin, and silvering in the hair and beard department, so the lighter suit looks better than a darker olive would. Your mileage may vary, depending on your complexion.

The "oyster" suit, to me, just evokes Peter Sellers in "The Party", so that kind of ruins it for me, but if I did want to go "whiter" on the suit, I think I'd go not with a poplin but with a linen or linen-cotton blend, because it needs the texture.

Going off-list - and speaking as someone who has lived, worked, and worn suits in hot cities (Manila, Tokyo, and Bangkok) - tropical wools (like fresco) are actually more comfortable, because of their moisture-wicking properties. The closest approximation in a cotton suit would be linen or seersucker.

DH

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Come to Wisconsin, old boy! We'll tour the estate in that Cutlass, and then depart for thrift shops everywhere.
I worked third shift in Milwaukee in '73. The city smelled like hops. The Brewers were new and I went to a couple of games when they played the Red Sox, at County(?) Stadium. And I went to the Wisconsin State Fair. And to Bariboo (?SP), the circus town. I liked Wisconsin, all nine months of it.
I have never seen a man (or a woman, for that matter) in a seersucker suit. Maybe those Mainers wear them.
In the summer all Mainers wear shorts and a halter top. Including the guys. Quite a sight. I own seersucker in a number of configurations, including a large kerchief in which I tie up a few belongings and attach to the end of a long stick which I throw over my shoulder when I run away from home.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.