A tailor in Portland, and budgeting a wardrobe

Michael-Wallen

Starting Member
Good day everyone,

My name is Michael. I'm a University of Oregon undergrad, starting my senior year in the School of Journalism and Communications next month. I'm from a working class background, such that men in my family tend to not even own a suit, regardless of income (class and income being two separate things). In college, I've developed a taste for decent clothes, wanting to stand out from the sea of jeans, print T-shirts, and hoodies.

I've gone through Andy's site carefully, trying to educate myself. Now, through tragic circumstances (I'm now an orphan), I actually have money. While almost all has been prudently invested, I set aside $5,000 to build a wardrobe.

So it sounds like I'm giving my life story here, but I wanted to put this in context. I'm not looking for the best rotation in my budget for a suit and tie job. I need to fit in with a wide variety of people while looking good. Physically, I'm a pale redhead, 6'2", 155 pounds with a cyclist's physique. Coat size is 38L. Pants are 32 waist, 36 inseam. Without further ado:

Shirts
It's such a pain to find OTR shirts that fit. I'd like to go MTM. Is anyone here familiar with tailors in the Portland, Oregon area? Poking around, the one I get the best vibes from is Kash Ross. Six shirts at around $499 beats one of Andy's online recommendations (W.H. Taylor), with the advantage of actually being measured rather than attempting it yourself. Should I go for six conservative French cuff shirts (two white, two light blue, and...?) from Kash Ross, then use those measurements to build my wardrobe with purchases from, say, T. M. Lewin?

Pants, Casual
I have Levis 501 Original Fit button fly in each available color. I think I'm set.

Pants, Business Casual
I have 32/34 Louis Raphael washable 100% worsted wool in seven solid colors, with the cuffs let down to get my correct inseam. This brand may be beneath the gentlemen here, but I like wearing wool slacks without worrying about the dry cleaners. In the colder months, these are my every day pants, resorting to jeans only when I must.

What I need are cotton pants for the warmer months. Summer gets up around 95 F in Oregon, so I'm looking at Bill's Khakis poplin in four colors. What would folks here recommend for days between poplin and wool temperatures?

Informal
I have a thrifted charcoal suit. What I want is one really good solid navy double breasted suit. Kash Ross' website says he does full canvas starting at $500. That sounds too good to be true, so again, does anyone know of this tailor?

I think this post is long enough. I'll ask about more garments later.

Last edited:

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Michael-Wallen :

You'll get some great advice here, but while you're waiting... check the similar posts at the bottom of the page and the "My Favorite Store" feature linked from the Home Page!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.