A Trad "What are you Wearing Tonight"

Flip Richards

Enjoy the daily dose of the WAYW thread, a forum basic.

But it occurred to me that it only shows what we wear for half the day. The other half is completely in the dark.

I am wondering what other people do for sleepwear / nighttime / evening lounging, and it seems like posts about the night / lounging / sleep would only clog the WAYW thread, so it probably deserves it own. What to do after dinner when coming home; do you take off the tie, untuck the shirt, do you 'change' into shorts or lounge pants, remove shoes, that sort of thing. Do you keep shoes in a hall closet, in garage, bedroom closet etc. And of course what sleepwear are you wearing. I always wonder about what to do after the 'work' day is over. I know if you are going to one of those dinners or formal event you can wear an evening suit, but most of the time it's casual. Do you make a second change for that part of the day? Or take off jacket / roll up sleeves? When to untuck the shirt, etc.

Tonight I will be wearing the same thing as last night. My shortie madras pyjamas. Made in USA (no more State o' Maine for me anymore, those were my old PJ's looked just like this but Made In China. And more expensive).

smmrfld

Elite Member
. I always wonder about what to do after the 'work' day is over. I know if you are going to one of those dinners or formal event you can wear an evening suit, but most of the time it's casual. Do you make a second change for that part of the day? Or take off jacket / roll up sleeves? When to untuck the shirt, etc.

I recognize that your posts are getting more and more comical...and I can't always determine which ones may be for real and which are just designed to provoke reactions...but really? You need direction on this topic? Please tell us you're joking...

Flip Richards

Thanks, Cardinals5. I appreciate it. I think the madras shorties are about the best trad option for summer. I think they beat the Brooks stripe shirts, and certainly by the price (aren't Brooks asking $79 for just the shirt?!?!)

Anyone try the Brooks Bros patchwork madras lounge pant?

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...lor=MULTI&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

I rather like it. Beautiful bright colors of melon, peach, strawberry, kiwi, blueberry and plum. About the best new madras pant out there.

There's a lot of winter options (I already have several) but we don't have to worry about that for some time.

Last edited:

Flip Richards

smmrfld, in the interests of how we wear our clothes (purpose of forum), I would like to know the how's when's and why's of it. One thing nobody is talking about lately is the second half of the day. Surely it's not the same as the first. Time for more casual trad. Time for walking the dog, or restaurants, or going shopping. Unwinding. Mowing the yard, errands, other duties. So it's a different outfit and look. Also sleepwear. But it's not just a list, it has to be connected to the first part of the day. We have been carefully noting our shoes, our outfits, the way we wear them. But blindingly. Only up until five o'clock. Do you ride home on the subway with your top collar buttoned, with your tie all the way up or is it loosened? Would you ever be seen with your shirt completely untucked? Do you change into shorts as soon as you get home?

This is the sort of thing that I think about.

EastVillageTrad

smmrfld, in the interests of how we wear our clothes (purpose of forum), I would like to know the how's when's and why's of it. One thing nobody is talking about lately is the second half of the day. Surely it's not the same as the first. Time for more casual trad. Time for walking the dog, or restaurants, or going shopping. Unwinding. Mowing the yard, errands, other duties. So it's a different outfit and look. Also sleepwear. But it's not just a list, it has to be connected to the first part of the day. We have been carefully noting our shoes, our outfits, the way we wear them. But blindingly. Only up until five o'clock. Do you ride home on the subway with your top collar buttoned, with your tie all the way up or is it loosened? Would you ever be seen with your shirt completely untucked? Do you change into shorts as soon as you get home?

If you have to think about it that hard, then you just don't get it, and the point is you shouldn't have to think about it. I know I don't...nor feel the need going into this topic with any depth.

When you need to go to a black tie dinner, change into black tie, when you need to walk the dog when you get home in 90 degree weather, put on shorts and a polo, what is so hard and though provoking about this?

TheWGP

... This thread is just a little scary, but in all honesty I'd be interested to hear what brands of pajamas folks have tried and how they liked them. Maybe that's another thread... from a different OP. ^^;

Flip Richards

Maybe my interest in clothing is a tad obsessive. It is my nature. It would be very nice to know what everybody else is doing. The morning photos only give us a small part of the picture. A lot of fellows wear ties and jackets in this heat, or seersucker suits. I am wondering what happens at night. Is dinner still in the tie? If you go to a restaurant after work, I venture to say yes. But if the meal is to be prepared and served at home, then is it time to dispense with the formality? And then is it khakis or chinos with a madras shirt, or is it shorts ... or what? And by late evening, does this move into the world of lounge wear, like the Brooks madras, or what. Finally sleep wear. In this heat I prefer the shorties that Vermont Country offers. I am just trying to piece it all together.

Trip English

Honors Member
Does Cruiser slip out of his burgundy dress shirt and white Donald Trump tie and into a black dress shirt and pale yellow Donald Trump tie?

Flip Richards

... from a different OP. ^^;

A bit surprised by non-trads so against any trad dress discussion on the trad forum.

Probably all of them are in the same situation as Cardinals5: not even sure what trad is. Strange situation. But I know the remedy. The Advanced Search feature at top of the screen is good. The archives here at AAAC are huge. Lots to learn. Search the Trad forum and you will find all kinds of good knowledge.

Flip Richards

Besides, NOBODY wants to see what I change into when I get home.

That's why I don't leave the house!!

So (without getting into details) would you say that in the morning out in public it's trad, but coming home after work it's strictly non-trad?

It's interesting to me. Also, I can't help but being clothing obsessed. And I still am very interested to know if anyone has tried that Brooks madras!

David J. Cooper

I have two pairs of Eddie Bauer lounge pants, my favorite are red Buffalo plaid which I match with various T shirts for making dinner, drinking wine and watching TV. When it's time to sleep I wear the most trad outfit of all.

boatshoe

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Usually when I arrive home I'll change into a shorty terrycloth robe and watch reruns of The Rockford Files while drinking a glass of Drambuie.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.