A Trad "What are you Wearing Tonight"

Titus_A

1. The Rockford Files should indeed be on at 8/9 Central.

2. In all fairness, I'm not sure Flip Richards wants to know whether we undo our collars at the end of the day so that he can analyze whether he should undo his collar. It's entirely reasonable simply to take a survey: as an empirical matter, what do modern Trad American men do? It's not a pressing question, but it could at least be interesting. Maybe Flip is an amateur anthropologist.

3. Or perhaps he is just a comedian. I would find this appropriate, but largely because his handle reminds me of Lionel Barrymore's character in Grand Hotel,who orders a "Louisiana flip" in every scene. That observation might be almost as odd as this thread.

andy b.

I only wear underwear to bed. That way if I die in my sleep it will make the mortician's job that much easier. I mean, wearing my burial suit to bed would just be gauche.

andy b.

maximar

I am curious on who will be the first to bite this idea. I haven't even posted anything on the "normal" WAYW thread.

The Rambler

Honors Member
A bit surprised by non-trads so against any trad dress discussion on the trad forum.

Probably all of them are in the same situation as Cardinals5: not even sure what trad is. Strange situation. But I know the remedy. The Advanced Search feature at top of the screen is good. The archives here at AAAC are huge. Lots to learn. Search the Trad forum and you will find all kinds of good knowledge.

Flip: you use the word "trad" about as often as Rudolph Giuliani used "9-11" when he ran for President, i.e., in every sentence. I know you're trying to make a point, but it's hard to care what it is, especially when you're so coy about it. Try "contemporary traditional:" maybe it's stupid, too, but it's closer to what most posters here care about. There is very little interest in totally faithful reproduction of the dress of 1961, and even less in some youth fashion that goes by that name. It's just the somewhat unfortunate name of the forum.

Trip English

Honors Member
Might I interject a moment of sincerity?

I'd hate to think that casual observers or guests of the site (which I assume can frequently outnumber participating members) who come here looking for information on how to dress traditionally feel like they are going to get knee-capped if they pipe up and ask question.

Just like those of us who've hung around here for a while have come to understand and appreciate the nuances of different types of clothing, we can also distinguish between a sincere inquiry and some boring attempt to stir the pot.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Flip: you use the word "trad" about as often as Rudolph Giuliani used "9-11" when he ran for President, i.e., in every sentence. I know you're trying to make a point, but it's hard to care what it is, especially when you're so coy about it. Try "contemporary traditional:" maybe it's stupid, too, but it's closer to what most posters here care about. There is very little interest in totally faithful reproduction of the dress of 1961, and even less in some youth fashion that goes by that name. It's just the somewhat unfortunate name of the forum.

LOL. Rambler: what do you mean by the comment "totally faithful reproduction of the dress of 1961?" Truth be known, I am just getting that stuff nicely broken in...should have at least a few years more use in it! Isn't that Trad? ;)

PS: Did I say that? Someone, please, kick me! :crazy:

Pgolden

Actually, it's an interesting question about how men dress when they arrive home from work. In the hey day of postwar trad--many men did not take off their ties, for instance, but would remove their jackets in favor of a cardigan and put on more casual shoes--loafers, perhaps, or moccasins. I remember eating dinner at a number of friends' houses where dad was still wearing a tie. Today, what I find interesting is that once men (and women) return home, they put on the most casual clothes imaginable: I've noticed sweat pants to be oh so popular. There are probably several reasons for this change. One that leaps to mind is the fact that women in the 1950s and 1960s were more dressed up when their husbands arrived home, and thus expected him to remain dressed. (See if you can catch a rerun of Leave it to Beaver. Ward is almost always in a tie, June in a dress.) To some degree, I think, today's behavior can be traced back to the childhoods of baby boomers, when clothing was divided into school clothes and play clothes (especially for boys), and once children came home from school they put on jeans and sweatshirts and sneakers, which were not even permitted in public schools, unlike today, when kids dress for the beach and then go running for the school bus.

Roycru

There must be someone out there besides me who wears Derek Rose pyjamas (proper Derek Rose pyjamas.....not the down market Derek Rose "Saville Collection" pajamas).

Jovan

Honors Member
Might I interject a moment of sincerity?

I'd hate to think that casual observers or guests of the site (which I assume can frequently outnumber participating members) who come here looking for information on how to dress traditionally feel like they are going to get knee-capped if they pipe up and ask question.

Just like those of us who've hung around here for a while have come to understand and appreciate the nuances of different types of clothing, we can also distinguish between a sincere inquiry and some boring attempt to stir the pot.
It's become pretty obvious that it was the latter. The inside references to a certain forum were a sure tip off.

boatshoe

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Do you think Garnervision would be a good name for a Rockford Files channel? How about GarNet?

I like GarNet. I'm not sure I'd support Rockford Files 24/7. I'd mix in some Simon and Simon and the occasional Columbo. (No Remington Steele would be allowed as it is profoundly stupid.)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.