A Trad "What are you Wearing"

thegovteach

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Wow there were some great rigs over the weekend. Here is my meager contribution to kick off the last week of October. It is brisk enough to layer up in NYC today (40s now but we'll see how the afternoon warms up).

57a7f5bc12ae8c4b6f0c1c597a53e285.jpg

Beaver Brand fedora
LE sports coat
Who.am.i sweater (a bargain at $10 a few years ago)
Uniqlo OCBD
Robert Talbott tie
JPress olive garbardine pants
AE shoes

love this rig too!

thegovteach

Katniss and I......

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket and tie, L L Bean OCBD shirt, Jim Thompson pocket square, Orvis moleskin trousers, and Allen-Edmonds khaki grain McTavishes......

12036933_10153650456733396_3294504021721719862_n.jpg

Not a clue what you do, but you remind me of an European History prof I had in college....sharp look...

YoungSoulRebel

Inactive user
F'n love it!

Not sure if I fit the true definition of Trad, but here is what I am wearing on this Monday. Please excuse the mess in my shared work space.

Jacket: Vintage Unbranded Corduroy Blazer (kinda digging the huge lapels)
Shirt: Sonoma (Target brand I think)
Jeans: J Crew Matchstick
Shoes: Timberland Suede Bucks (I thought about tan desert boots also)
Scarf: Cashmere Made in Scotland
Glasses: Ray Ban New Wayfarer Tortoise
Watch: Momentum M1 Pro SE Diver's Watch
Pipe: VIntage Jobey with Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

thegovteach

Not sure if I fit the true definition of Trad, but here is what I am wearing on this Monday. Please excuse the mess in my shared work space.

Ive got to admit, I like it!

Duvel

Connoisseur
Welcome, Dave. In all honesty, there's nothing I like here but kudos for the auspicious debut. I'll jump in and echo the above resoundingly that there is nothing trad here. Not remotely. Vintage does not mean trad, nor does a scarf made in Scotland.

I won't ask the inevitable "why" question as I don't want to put you on the defensive. Instead, as my best supervisor might have put it, Please tell me more about how you wanted to post something like this in a forum devoted to Amercian trad style. Please help me understand.

gamma68

Honors Member
I agree that there isn't a strong Trad foundation in davestradamus' post. However, a cashmere scarf made in Scotland is most definitely Trad. I suppose pipe smoking was more of a Trad habit 40-some years ago.

Probably the best way to become indoctrinated in this forum is to spend some time perusing WAYWT posts, checking out random pages from past years, to gain a strong sense of what Trad attire is all about.

sskim3

Welcome, Dave. In all honesty, there's nothing I like here but kudos for the auspicious debut. I'll jump in and echo the above resoundingly that there is nothing trad here. Not remotely. Vintage does not mean trad, nor does a scarf made in Scotland.

I won't ask the inevitable "why" question as I don't want to put you on the defensive. Instead, as my best supervisor might have put it, Please tell me more about how you wanted to post something like this in a forum devoted to Amercian trad style. Please help me understand.

It may not be the traditional TRAD, but I do appreciate a different sense of style. The cord blazer is pretty cool, but the lapels are HUGE for my liking.

From a trad standpoint, the winners are the accessories: glasses and pipe. Even the Momentum is nice as it is the functional, affordable watch from our friends in Canada.

The overall rig is definitely a more modern take. And I have seen others like YSR put his own twist on TRAD and I totally love his sense of style.

davestradamus

Starting Member
Thanks for the replies and comments everyone! I know my Monday digs are not super Trad. Nor are they anywhere close to classic menswear. My style is definitely influenced by old New England and the classic Ivy League but with a modern twist that serves to fit clothes to form and includes modern elements.

I do apologize if I have offended some. Out of every men's style forum I have come across, this seems to fit my personality and history the best. Especially SoulRebel's (I think thats him) posts.

Duvel

Connoisseur
Not offended! Amused, perhaps.

Dare I say it... it makes me think "h*pster trad." Which to my tender sensibilities is a painful contradiction in terms.

As for the scarf, perhaps the only true trad item (I'm on the fence about an ostentatious pipe), sure, it's made in Scotland. But much of what makes anything trad is also context.

At the same time, in its own right, trad or not, it does display verve. It's stylin'.

It may not be the traditional TRAD, but I do appreciate a different sense of style. The cord blazer is pretty cool, but the lapels are HUGE for my liking.

From a trad standpoint, the winners are the accessories: glasses and pipe. Even the Momentum is nice as it is the functional, affordable watch from our friends in Canada.

The overall rig is definitely a more modern take. And I have seen others like YSR put his own twist on TRAD and I totally love his sense of style.

sskim3

Dare I say it... it makes me think "h*pster trad." Which to my tender sensibilities is a painful contradiction in terms.

As for the scarf, perhaps the only true trad item (I'm on the fence about an ostentatious pipe), sure, it's made in Scotland. But much of what makes anything trad is also context.

At the same time, in its own right, trad or not, it does display verve. It's stylin'.

HA! Hipster trad definitely made me laugh out loud at my desk just now!

Flairball

I woulc say his style does have elements of trad, but falls a wee bit short. If a few things were a bit different I think his rig would have been more in line with the rest of this forum.

For example, the colors all seem pretty good. I think if he wore the scarf differently, so the shirt was more visible, had narrower lapels on the SC, and maybe wore steel grey chinos or moleskin this rig would look totally different. Seems like a bit of fine tuning is all that's in order.

But that pipe,....it is funky.

Oldsport

And on this day Triathlete declares a new style term: HRAD!

QUOTE=Duvel;1741603]Not offended! Amused, perhaps.

At the same time, in its own right, trad or not, it does display verve. It's stylin'.[/QUOTE]

YoungSoulRebel

Inactive user
The feeling is 100% mutual my friend!

davestradamus

Starting Member
Hello Gents! After a daring introduction yesterday, I think this might please some of you.

Jacket: J. Crew Navy Blazer
Shirt: J. Crew Button Down Oxford
Pants: J. Crew Bowery Twill Pant
Tie: Vintage Land's End Wool
Shoes: Unbranded Made in USA
Socks: L.L. Bean
Watch: Victorinox Chrono

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange