Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Ah, a Fellowes drawing! His signature is shortened, just FELL in this drawing, which I don't recollect seeing. Unless of course it is a different artist altogether. I love Fellowes' art, and it's good to see it pop up here on our forum now and then. Some time ago, I bought that book with a collection of his drawings and I do look at them from time to time.

Also, regarding Esquire, I had been borrowing bound volumes of the magazine now and then from my university's library for the last couple of years, just to look at the old adverts and also to read some of the articles and stories. A lovely treat! The library has a complete collection from Vol 1 onward. I have been focusing on the 1950s and 1960s, but may go back to an earlier period.

My borrowing was cut short when the lockdown hit, and the library was completely shut down from March-April until August 10th, when they opened it to university students, faculty and staff -- but alas, not to the general public. Unfortunate, because I firmly believe that a state university should be very open to the public in general, and in the past, I have tried to foster more interactions between town and gown on my campus and in my city. Ah well, the virus is playing havoc with many things.
I would agree that it's a Fellows' illustration, but it isn't his best work. Also, I'm not aware of a "Fell" illustrator doing Esquire/Apparel Arts work at that time.

I'm sure you've seen it, but just in case, AAAC member @Flanderian ran a long and outstanding thread of all the '30s and '40s "Esquire" illustrations starting here: #1

And by chance, is this the book you are referencing #61 or is the one you got a book only on Fellows' work? If the latter, I'll start looking for one for myself if you recommend it?

drpeter

It's the same book, Men in Style. We both bought copies, I may have paid something like $100 for it at that time!

And yes, I have seen the Flanderian Collection. It is indeed quite remarkable. I myself put together a set of Fellows illustrations picked up here and there from the net, but nothing as extensive as Flanderian's. More power to him!

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Hi everyone! I recently found out about the forum via the Ivy Style Facebook group. I am excited to be joining others who are interested in American traditional style.

Here is a photo of today’s trad combination featuring my favorite 3/2 Andover Shop vintage blazer that was manufactured in the 1960s and gifted to me nearly 20 years ago.

View attachment 49073
Welcome, glad you joined. Outstanding outfit.

TKI67

Hi everyone! I recently found out about the forum via the Ivy Style Facebook group. I am excited to be joining others who are interested in American traditional style.

Here is a photo of today’s trad combination featuring my favorite 3/2 Andover Shop vintage blazer that was manufactured in the 1960s and gifted to me nearly 20 years ago.

View attachment 49073
Welcome! Love the Argyll and Sutherland tie, too!

Pardon the edit. I just love autocorrect (not).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

View attachment 49073
Welcome to AAAC member blazerandbuttondowns and what a great way to start. Navy blazers are the cornerstone rig of so many of our wardrobes! I am looking forward to your future postings. ;)

Beefeater

View attachment 49073
Harris? Just kidding, great rig.

andrewdc

Starting Member
Today, a navy gingham pattern button down from J. Press (and shorts). Yesterday, for an interview on zoom, white oxford button down & Oxxford navy suit with very small checks.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Yesterday I attended a social event for the first time since...

I forget.

I have a friend, Bill, who is a big New York Jets fan and owns many otherwise ordinary household items sporting the team's logo - pop-up tent, folding chair, beach towel. He also has things like a green styrofoam hat shaped like ...you guessed it...a jet, a Jets garden gnome, and...

Bill is an NFL owner's dream come true.

So normally this group (including, sometimes, me) goes down to the stadium on New Jersey several times a year and tailgates before the game. It's quite involved.

Nobody in this crew is a drinker either, so we never get arrested.

This Year of the Plague obviously demanded sacrifices. Bill led the way by purchasing a gigantic television set which he set up in the garage. Then he put the tent up in front of the garage door. That way we could sit more or less under the tent and still see the screen.

The other half of the garage had the food. Lots of food. I brought back more than I brought with.

The Jets played very badly, thus reminding us that not everything in 2020 is upside-down.

I don't have a team jersey or anything like it. I have a Jets ballcap somewhere but I couldn't find it. So I settled on a green camp shirt from Eastern Mountain Sports, very worn Lands End chinos, LL Bean Jackman mocs and Wigwam socks as it was just slightly chilly.

It's the first time in months I actually thought about what to wear.

I also need a haircut. I look like Prince Valiant.

Bill is the guy with the shaved head, MSNBC glasses and Rasputin beard.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmWC4Wy3j]

]
[/URL]

]
[/URL][/url]

andrewdc

Starting Member
Channeling the rest of my family's affinity for the Pittsburgh Steelers today. Black 3 button cashmere sweater with a collar, yellow/gold golf shirt from Oakmont Country Club, Patagonia lightweight hemp/cotton shorts, York River Traders green webbing/ribbon belt. (York River made belts, cufflinks with nautical themes, based in Maine. Sadly closed their doors in '19).

TKI67

Channeling the rest of my family's affinity for the Pittsburgh Steelers today. Black 3 button cashmere sweater with a collar, yellow/gold golf shirt from Oakmont Country Club, Patagonia lightweight hemp/cotton shorts, York River Traders green webbing/ribbon belt. (York River made belts, cufflinks with nautical themes, based in Maine. Sadly closed their doors in '19).
Miss YRT, love the Steelers, having a hard time envisioning this as Trad, but it does sound fun.

DCR

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Probably the last opportunity to don Summer weight attire before I change over the wardrobe to Fall. Slightly different combination than last time

Sportcoat: BB mi-Italy
Shirt: BB
Tie: vintgage Rooster madras
Belt: AE
Trousers: Ben Silver linen
Loafers: C&J Harvard II
IMG_20200917_132150-min.jpg
IMG_20200917_132503-min.jpg
IMG_20200917_132441-min.jpg

August West

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Yesterday I attended a social event for the first time since...

I forget.

I have a friend, Bill, who is a big New York Jets fan and owns many otherwise ordinary household items sporting the team's logo - pop-up tent, folding chair, beach towel. He also has things like a green styrofoam hat shaped like ...you guessed it...a jet, a Jets garden gnome, and...

Bill is an NFL owner's dream come true.

So normally this group (including, sometimes, me) goes down to the stadium on New Jersey several times a year and tailgates before the game. It's quite involved.

Nobody in this crew is a drinker either, so we never get arrested.

This Year of the Plague obviously demanded sacrifices. Bill led the way by purchasing a gigantic television set which he set up in the garage. Then he put the tent up in front of the garage door. That way we could sit more or less under the tent and still see the screen.

The other half of the garage had the food. Lots of food. I brought back more than I brought with.

The Jets played very badly, thus reminding us that not everything in 2020 is upside-down.

I don't have a team jersey or anything like it. I have a Jets ballcap somewhere but I couldn't find it. So I settled on a green camp shirt from Eastern Mountain Sports, very worn Lands End chinos, LL Bean Jackman mocs and Wigwam socks as it was just slightly chilly.

It's the first time in months I actually thought about what to wear.

I also need a haircut. I look like Prince Valiant.

Bill is the guy with the shaved head, MSNBC glasses and Rasputin beard.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmWC4Wy3j]
Thanks for sharing this Patrick. made me smile.
I'm a diehard Giants fan / season ticket holder. I tailgate with a group of about 16 other guys. I don't think collectively we own as much Giants gear as your friend Bill has for the Jets. His sign should read "Giant Stadium 100 miles" though. Nobody calls it Metlife.

Somebody in the group is planning a similar driveway tailgate for Sunday. I wasn't planning on going because it's about an hour from me. After seeing your photos, I am seriously reconsidering.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
My friend Bill lives about 45 minutes away

I say go for it. If you take reasonable precautions there's no reason not to give it a try. COVID-19 is serious but we can't hide out forever.

PS: I still say "Giants Stadium." Force of habit.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.