A Trad "What are you Wearing"

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I have to ask - are you guys finding these great BB sport coats now or are these pieces you all have purchased in the past? I can never find anything on their website, and I’m not sure if anything is there or my search skills are terrible. I feel like my only options for 3/2 rolls are J Press and O’Connell’s (not that those are bad, but my wallet complains).
Press is having their warehouse sale. Strike fast.

never behind

I have to go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today and Mother Nature decided to crank up the heat! I need the sun so I’ll spare you my pasty legs. Maiden voyage of my new surcingle belt.

OCBD - Proper Cloth (summer fabric)
Poplin Shorts - Bill’s
Surcingle - Leather Man
Boat Shoes - Sperry

945A59D9-7838-40B0-BF36-138B175F0A4B.jpeg

165D59DC-3FF4-44E2-9CAE-0B6136C306CF.jpeg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I have to go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today and Mother Nature decided to crank up the heat! I need the sun so I’ll spare you my pasty legs. Maiden voyage of my new surcingle belt.

OCBD - Proper Cloth (summer fabric)
Poplin Shorts - Bill’s
Surcingle - Leather Man
Boat Shoes - Sperry

View attachment 57869
View attachment 57871

Nicely done. If you untucked your shirt, you could almost be a "lost photo" from "Take Ivy:"
tipfaaactdn.jpg

August West

Follow up post to share that I recently received an email from Press telling me they could not fulfill my order, that the suit had "sold out". One would think an ecommerce site should have measure in place prevent something like that from happening. Very dissapointing.
On top of that the poplin trousers don't fit correctly. Tight in the crotch and overly slim for what I would expect from Press. They were a whopping $29 though, so not the end of the world I suppose.

never behind

Follow up post to share that I recently received an email from Press telling me they could not fulfill my order, that the suit had "sold out". One would think an ecommerce site should have measure in place prevent something like that from happening. Very dissapointing.
On top of that the poplin trousers don't fit correctly. Tight in the crotch and overly slim for what I would expect from Press. They were a whopping $29 though, so not the end of the world I suppose.
Maddening. That happened to me once - ordered a tweed coat and a day or so later they call me to say it sold out.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Last week it suddenly turned into summer. I dutifully folded and stored the flannels and Viyellas and big old Filson wool shirts, and dug out and hung the madras, seersucker, short sleeves, aloha and summery shirts.

Then the temps dropped like a tungsten head nymph tied on a jig hook. Of course.

This is why we have sweatshirts and cotton sweaters.

I have amassed a large collection of what eBayers refer to as "safari" shirts. My old ones have split collars and years' worth of fishing-related grime baked in.

So I scoured eBay, discount sites and the usual suspects and came up with a dozen or so mostly tan or beige shirts from Filson, Orvis, Cabelas, Australian Outback and Eddie Bauer (which still exists, sort of). Some have epaulets and some don't. I prefer to go without, the field promotion contingency being somewhat remote.

Plus there is the danger of being mistaken for Stewart Granger.

Combined with some new LL Beanflex plain open collar sport shirts in beige and olive, I am set for the fishing/camp season.

I also got some new Space Age fabric fishing shirts for the really hot weather, the old ones having become even grimier than the cotton safari shirts. Those I picked up during the winter when the purveyors of fly fishing clothing, who make ordinary fashion vultures seem benign by comparison, unveil the latest gimmickry and unload last year's at fire sale prices.

Everything gets treated with permethrin. I dislike ticks.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
Last week it suddenly turned into summer. I dutifully folded and stored the flannels and Viyellas and big old Filson wool shirts, and dug out and hung the madras, seersucker, short sleeves, aloha and summery shirts.

Then the temps dropped like a tungsten head nymph tied on a jig hook. Of course.

This is why we have sweatshirts and cotton sweaters.

I have amassed a large collection of what eBayers refer to as "safari" shirts. My old ones have split collars and years' worth of fishing-related grime baked in.

So I scoured eBay, discount sites and the usual suspects and came up with a dozen or so mostly tan or beige shirts from Filson, Orvis, Cabelas, Australian Outback and Eddie Bauer (which still exists, sort of). Some have epaulets and some don't. I prefer to go without, the field promotion contingency being somewhat remote.

Plus there is the danger of being mistaken for Stewart Granger.

Combined with some new LL Beanflex plain open collar sport shirts in beige and olive, I am set for the fishing/camp season.

I also got some new Space Age fabric fishing shirts for the really hot weather, the old ones having become even grimier than the cotton safari shirts. Those I picked up during the winter when the purveyors of fly fishing clothing, who make ordinary fashion vultures seem benign by comparison, unveil the latest gimmickry and unload last year's at fire sale prices.

Everything gets treated with permethrin. I dislike ticks.

If you can't fuel your passion adequately on eBay, the Columbia PFG stuff we get at Academy is pretty fine for hot weather fishing. Loved the tungsten nymph reference!

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
A note on grime:

There is a difference between well-worn and disgusting. The late Marty Keane, an expert on antique fishing tackle, used to call signs of wear and tear "honorable use."

Honorable use on a shirt is a small bloodstain that won't come out. Depending on the audience, the stain may be attributed to a) a gigantic brown trout that bit the angler or b) the time the angler rescued a small, child who had just been bitten by a giant brown trout.

Grime is a dark ring around the collar that yields to no known solvent. Similar in function if not chemical composition to the combination of dust and grease that always settles on top of the refrigerator.

Grime is also a smell -- an odor that invokes, in no particular order, memories of high school locker rooms, stale Fritos, mothballs, kerosene and that strange uncle from childhood, the one with the murky past who collected stuffed owls.

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Lotta references to fishing, and grime. Didn't know it was a particular dirty endeavor, but dropping a shirt in a bucket of almost-boiling, sudsy water at the end of a day is a helluva cure. I am big on clean. And there's this...

Screenshot_20210526-071608-01.jpeg

Medical tape. It's not the thick, sticky stuff of yore. A foot long strip on the inside of the collar stays tight, comes off easy, no residue. Ten foot roll at $Tree. Or the transparent kind, on-line, for a little more.

Unlike mosquitoes, who can pierce through cloth, a tick has to attack directly on skin and unless you're swaddled mummy style, they will crawl to skin. They are very slow and you cannot feel the bite or the attachment. A self examination daily during tick season, tactile more than visual, is best. You have 24 or so hours after attachment before infection, and the tick itself has to be infected to infect you. It's called anaplasmosis, I've had it, in '17. It came with a three-day hospital stay. This time of year I am outside constantly. Currently cleaning dead leaves and debris from a 200' stone wall. Hands and knees stuff. Yesterday at martini time (ice water for me, please) I pulled a tick from my ear.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
Lotta references to fishing, and grime. Didn't know it was a particular dirty endeavor, but dropping a shirt in a bucket of almost-boiling, sudsy water at the end of a day is a helluva cure. I am big on clean. And there's this...

View attachment 58174
Medical tape. It's not the thick, sticky stuff of yore. A foot long strip on the inside of the collar stays tight, comes off easy, no residue. Ten foot roll at $Tree. Or the transparent kind, on-line, for a little more.

Unlike mosquitoes, who can pierce through cloth, a tick has to attack directly on skin and unless you're swaddled mummy style, they will crawl to skin. They are very slow and you cannot feel the bite or the attachment. A self examination daily during tick season, tactile more than visual, is best. You have 24 or so hours after attachment before infection, and the tick itself has to be infected to infect you. It's called anaplasmosis, I've had it, in '17. It came with a three-day hospital stay. This time of year I am outside constantly. Currently cleaning dead leaves and debris from a 200' stone wall. Hands and knees stuff. Yesterday at martini time (ice water for me, please) I pulled a tick from my ear.
Encourage possums. They eat loads of ticks and are very traditional dressers.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.