Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Aristocratic-style polka dot tie (navy w/white) will arrive tomorrow. Do you think it will work well with that?

View attachment 56352 #
View attachment 56353
Hard to say. It will depend on the texture of the tie and the scale of the polka dots. The color should be fine, but the two noted details will matter a lot.

While I like your outfit - a nice modern casual take on trad, your pants look very long as they billow out at your ankles. It could just be the shoes or something.

HBNTrader

Hard to say. It will depend on the texture of the tie and the scale of the polka dots. The color should be fine, but the two noted details will matter a lot.
The dots will be probably quite small.

While I like your outfit - a nice modern casual take on trad, your pants look very long as they billow out at your ankles. It could just be the shoes or something.
I think I forgot to roll them up, and should do so next time.

TKI67

Advanced Member
The dots will be probably quite small.

I think I forgot to roll them up, and should do so next time.
Europeans may approach the matter of rolling cuffs differently, but in the US it is frowned upon, witness the critiques on the More from Ralph thread. Many modern American Trads tend towards cuffs and minimal to no break. Some of us older New England products even enjoy slightly high water pants and 1 3/4" cuffs.

As regards pairing a tie with that outfit, I would favor either a deeply colored ancient madder paisley or a solid navy or burgundy knit. There are some beautiful bold repeating prints that are not traditional paisleys or neats. One of those in an olive or a deep orange background would look great. I would save the polka dots for crisp shirts and dark suits. However, those are just my preferences, and the fun and terrific thing about this board is that whatever works for one person may not work for others but is still respected.

Last edited:

never behind

^^^

Yes to all that. Nice crease with the corduroys, tuff to do (and keep). About the coat, USN without fouled anchor buttons? A switch before purchase, or your choice?
Actually original issue. When doing my research before purchasing the coat, I learned that in the 1970s the U.S. Navy replaced the traditional buttons with pewter buttons similar to the brass ones worn on officer coats. I think it only lasted a handful of years before they went back to the fouled anchor buttons.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Actually original issue. When doing my research before purchasing the coat, I learned that in the 1970s the U.S. Navy replaced the traditional buttons with pewter buttons similar to the brass ones worn on officer coats. I think it only lasted a handful of years before they went back to the fouled anchor buttons.
I have a 1970 USN peacoat with the anchor buttons once owned by my brother-in-law.

never behind

I have a 1970 USN peacoat with the anchor buttons once owned by my brother-in-law.
There is an excellent thread on Fedora Lounge regarding pea coat dating. I double checked now to verify the info. Pewter buttons first began in 1974 and became standard issue in July 1976. I was off in that the pewter buttons lasted until 1984. My coat was issued in 1975. Looking back at that thread reminded me how often the details on USN pea coats changed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.