A Visit to the Brooks Bros Clearance Center in Garland, NC

CMDC

Honors Member
Last week was spent on family vacation in Hilton Head, SC. On the drive back I convinced my wife that we should take a "back country North Carolina adventure" to Garland. Having built up a week of good behavior credit with my in-laws, she was a good sport.

If anyone finds themselves in the area, the trip is about 45-60 minutes from I-95. There's not really a straight shot from the interstate. Once you find yourself in Garland, you can't miss it. Across the street from the Piggly Wiggly.

Selection was, as to be expected, hit and miss. It must have been a bad week for ocbd's because there had to be only about two dozen total and just one in my size (blue) which I grabbed. They had a larger selection of various dress and casual shirts but the sizing tended to favor the very small. I did grab a blue ocbd popover in my size.

The suit/sport coat selection was also disappointing and I struck out there. No sacks in any size that I could see. They, for some reason, had a lot of Rubinacci sport coats in stock. Not sure what the connection is. There were a few that were just a bit big otherwise it would have been a much more fruitful visit.

No men's shoes and negligible trouser selection. A handful of sweaters but nothing I couldn't live without.

The best offerings were in the ties. I came away with 5 total including two nice grenadines.

All in all it was a fun trip if for no other reason than to see some off the beaten tracks NC and I'm glad I went. That said, I can't imagine making a special trip of any distance to go. The prices are good, I suppose, but not worth the trip unless you find a ton of stuff. Dress shirts $25; sport coats $80; ties $18; sweaters $40.

Himself

All in all it was a fun trip if for no other reason than to see some off the beaten tracks NC and I'm glad I went. That said, I can't imagine making a special trip of any distance to go. The prices are good, I suppose, but not worth the trip unless you find a ton of stuff. Dress shirts $25; sport coats $80; ties $18; sweaters $40.

I feel the same way. Even with outlet-shopper family in Myrtle Beach, the 4-plus hour round trip plus gas and food seems like a waste, especially with so many more interesting outings in this part of the country. Sartorially speaking, try King St. in Charleston, even if all you do is browse and people-watch!

Last edited:

CMDC

Honors Member
how much was that popover? slim? i might have to call and have them ship me one.

Popover, as with all the shirts, was $25. I don't think they ship things out. I could be wrong though. It's a pretty low tech operation.

amemovox

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Last week was spent on family vacation in Hilton Head, SC. On the drive back I convinced my wife that we should take a "back country North Carolina adventure" to Garland. Having built up a week of good behavior credit with my in-laws, she was a good sport.

If anyone finds themselves in the area, the trip is about 45-60 minutes from I-95. There's not really a straight shot from the interstate. Once you find yourself in Garland, you can't miss it. Across the street from the Piggly Wiggly.

Selection was, as to be expected, hit and miss. It must have been a bad week for ocbd's because there had to be only about two dozen total and just one in my size (blue) which I grabbed. They had a larger selection of various dress and casual shirts but the sizing tended to favor the very small. I did grab a blue ocbd popover in my size.

The suit/sport coat selection was also disappointing and I struck out there. No sacks in any size that I could see. They, for some reason, had a lot of Rubinacci sport coats in stock. Not sure what the connection is. There were a few that were just a bit big otherwise it would have been a much more fruitful visit.

No men's shoes and negligible trouser selection. A handful of sweaters but nothing I couldn't live without.

The best offerings were in the ties. I came away with 5 total including two nice grenadines.

Be mindful the semi professional "flippers" snag the quality merchandise for resale. They are tipped off when shipments arrive and descend in buying furry.

Glad you found a couple of items that suited you.

MDP

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've been out to Garland a handful of times since moving to Durham for grad school as it's less than two hours away. On my first trip I ended up with a Fitzgerald fit, made in the USA, Saxxon wool suit in navy herringbone for $80--haven't seen anything in my size for suits or blazers since though (36R).

Ties are definitely the most consistent thing (sub$20)--always something interesting. Sometimes it takes a while to go through the seconds to find something without a defect on the front, but if you like feeling cloth as much as I do, it can be fun.

Never seen any mens shoes. I asked the staff about it, and they said they rarely get any. They had a decent selection of outwear in the spring but it had dwindled the last time I went.

I plan on making a couple more trips before I graduate next spring.

Bandit44

My family did a day trip to Wilmington a few weeks ago and we stopped by. I found a poplin suit that was a perfect fit, but I just recently purchased a similar one earlier this summer, so I walked away empty-handed. With my 2 year old and wife in tow, I didn't have time to pan for gold.

adoucett

I have a feeling people scoop up stuff from this location to list on eBay. I see "NWOT" or "NWT" shirts from towns near Garland, North Carolina all the time, usually priced around $50 BIN.

If they are initially around $25, that means the sellers are more or less doubling their investment which isn't a bad enterprise. This also might explain the lack of OCBD stock, however.

Just bought one last week...so we'll see what the outcome is.

Ekphrastic

In response to the earlier question: no, they won't ship (unfortunately). I've called and asked. However, if you call ahead, they will (if I remember correctly) give you an idea of what's in stock.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange