Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAAC Informal Trad Thrift Store Exchange

10M views 32K replies 1K participants last post by  iam.mike 
#1 ·
Come one, come all Trads:

Welcome to the Unofficial Ask Andy About Trad Informal Thrift Store Exchange thread.

Here's how it works. Post a reply to this thread if you are interested in informally being a part of the exchange, that is, you occasionally stop by thrift stores, are willing to buy Trad items to exchange with Trad brethren, and you are willing to wear thrift store finds.

In your post, tell us your "measurements" and what items you might be looking for. At any time, you can edit your post to alter a size (yes, we all do gain and sometimes lose weight), or change what you're looking for. Some participants may wish to post pictures of items they've found. Please, if you do this, pull the pictures down when the deal's been made.

Deals should be made by private message only, and we will operate under the honor system. Since thrift store items tend to be cheap, you won't be out tons of cash, but it's easier if we all agree to agree up front. You set the price, but try not to gouge your fellow Trad. We can agree to do this because those of us who have been to a thrift store have all felt the abject pain of finding the perfect sack tweed in a 38L. Well, someone's bound to be a 38L around here.

Finally: I think this lives on the Trad Forum because I believe we need to limit ourselves to truly Trad items, or the profoundly exceptional non-trad items (a darted odd seersucker jacket with embroidered lobsters, for instance). Sack suits especially are so hard to come by that when we find them in vintage shops and in good condition, we need to share them with each other.

Now, I have Golden Fleece three-piece sack suit that I need to measure and take some photos of...just you wait until you see this beauty.

PM me if you think I need to edit this post in anyway.

Thanks gents,
JB

See less See more
#31,681 ·
BUMP - Make me an offer, these will be going to eBay soon.

Three pair of M2 Bills Khakis, new with tags, two 34 and one 32. These are pre-aquisition Bills I've had hanging in my closet for years, but no amount of wishing is ever going to make these work for me. The 34's fit in the waist but are too baggy in the butt and legs, the 32's fit the butt and legs but are way too snug in the waist. Just the reality of navigating my sixth decade I guess. Just want to get back what I have in these, so $60/pair shipped conus, or make an offer.

1. Bills Khakis Vintage Twill in British Khaki, new with tags, size 34x34. M2, flat front, 7.8 ounce (heavy) cotton twill.

2. Bills Khakis Vintage Twill in Olive, new with tags, size 34x34. M2, flat front, 7.8 ounce (heavy) cotton twill.

3. Bills Khakis Vintage Twill in Mustard, new with tags, size 32x34. M2, flat front, 7.8 ounce (heavy) cotton twill. These are a true mustard color, they appear more Khaki in the photos.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#31,682 · (Edited)
BUMP - Again, make me an offer! How about $60 for all of the BB's, and I'll throw in the LE? Going to eBay soon otherwise...

3 Brooks Brothers and a Lands' End OCBD. The BB's are alpha size Large, $25 each, the LE is 17x35, $15. All offers welcome.

1. Brooks Brothers OCBD, size L, pale orange (peach?) and white stripe. BB logo on the left chest, no pocket, excellent condition, nearly new. Measures 17 neck, 35 sleeve, 25 pit-to-pit. $25 shipped conus, or offer.

2. Brooks Brothers OCBD, size L, burgundy with navy and white stripe. BB logo on the left chest, no pocket, excellent condition, nearly new. Measures 17 neck, 35 sleeve, 25 pit-to-pit. $25 shipped conus, or offer.

3. Brooks Brothers OCBD, size L, solid white, heavy oxford cloth. BB logo on the left chest, no pocket, excellent condition, nearly new. Measures 17 neck, 35 sleeve, 25 pit-to-pit. $25 shipped conus, or offer.

4. Lands' End OCBD, 17X35, 25 pit-to-pit. Dark blue, with left chest pocket and locker loop. Missing a placket button (2 spares on tail) also has some pilling on collar (see photo). $15 shipped conus or offer. View attachment 26801

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#31,683 ·
Bump. I'm open to offers.

Almost new Kamakura pinpoint oxford. Size 15.75/32.33 in the Tokyo Classic fit. I've worn it once. It has been washed twice in cold water and hung to dry. It is a nice shirt but the fit just isn't going to work.

The color is a blue-green or maybe sage. I'm not good with colors. One pic shows it with a blue end-on-end shirt.

Asking $50 shipped CONUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31,684 · (Edited)
SOLD

Bump. It's a great belt! Open to offers.

Equus Leather bridle leather belt.

Only worn twice. Excellent condition.

Size: 40"
Color: Australian Nut
Width: 1.25"

Seven holes, 1" spaced. Has nickel West End buckle. Will ship in original box with bag.

New is $120 shipped from UK. Asking $85 shipped to CONUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31,685 ·
DROPS...

Brooks Brothers blue must iron ocbd
Made in USA
16.5 x 33

$20 conus

Brooks Brothers ecru must iron ocbd
Made in USA
16 x 33 Slim Fit

$20 conus

Brooks Brothers Country Club button down sport shirt
Made in USA
Size M Slim Fit
$20 conus

[/QUOTE]

#31,686 ·
DROPS...

Bills M2 in khaki
Excellent condition
35 waist; 30 inseam
Flat front; cuffed

$30 conus

Scotch House red lambswool sweater vest
Made in Scotland
Like new condition
Pit to Pit: 23.5
Length: 27

$27 conus

Drakes, Drakes, and Salvatore Ferragamo Ties
Excellent condition. 2nd Drakes appears unworn
3.5" width; 3.75" width; 3.75" width

$22 conus each

[/QUOTE]

#31,687 ·
DROPS...

Brooks Brothers worsted wool 3/2 sack blazer
Tagged 42S
Pit to Pit: 21.5
Shoulder: 19
Length BoC: 29
Sleeve: 23

$40 conus

Ralph Lauren Purple Label flannel trousers in chocolate brown
Pleated and cuffed w/side tabs
36 waist; 28 inseam

$37 conus

Canali charcoal nailhead wool trousers
Made in Italy
Flat front and cuffed
38 waist; 33 inseam

$28 conus

#31,688 ·
DROPS...

Sweaters...

Tricots St. James navy lambswool cardigan
Made in France
Excellent condition

Pit to Pit: 24.5
Length: 30.5
Sleeve: 34

$33 conus

Brooks Brothers cotton cricket sweater
Size M
Excellent condition

Pit to Pit: 23
Sleeve: 35.5

$30 conus

Brooks Brothers lambswool Fair Isle sweater vest
Bought new, worn about 4/5 times, now too small for me
Size M

Pit to Pit: 21.5
Length: 25.5

$28 conus

Brooks Brothers supima cotton sweater vest in tangerine
New with tags--still wrapped! Bought new, never worn, too small for me now
Size M

$30 conus

Pringle grey lambswool sweater
Made in Scotland
Tagged 42

Pit to Pit: 21
Sleeve: 32.5

$24 conus

[/QUOTE]

#31,689 ·
DROPS...

Oxxford navy wool/cashmere sportcoat
Extremely soft fabric. This is an interesting piece. Its a 3/2 sack with patch pockets (hip pockets unflapped) that is unvented. A really nice casual jacket.

Hand made in Chicago

Tagged 42R

Pit to Pit: 22
Shoulder 20
Length BoC: 30
Sleeve: 24

$85 conus

Samuelsohn dark olive windowpane sportcoat
Made in Canada
2 button, darted, side vents

Pit to Pit: 22
Shoulder: 20
Length 30.5
Sleeve: 24.5

$40 conus

Samuelsohn brown sportcoat
Made in Canada
2 button, darted, side vents
Hip pockets unflapped

Pit to Pit: 22.5
Shoulder: 19.5
Length 30.5
Sleeve 23.5 (+2)

$40 conus

[/QUOTE]

#31,690 ·
DROPS...

Two pair of Brooks Brothers, Madison fit, wool trousers
Charcoal gray and regular gray
Both appear unworn
Both flat front, no cuff
Both 35 waist; 30 inseam

$30 conus each; both for $52 conus

New with tags Hickey Freeman wool / cashmere trousers
Color is an oatmeal-ish grey
Single reverse pleat
36 waist; unhemmed

$32 conus

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece button down ocbd
New without tags--bought new, never worn
Size BB0--measures 16 x 33
Made in USA

$20 conus

Brooks Brothers ocbd fun shirt
Size L
$18 conus

Jos A Bank navy braces
Made in England
Appear unworn--like new condition
$15 conus

[/QUOTE]

#31,691 ·
GRAIL! Andover Shop 3/2 sack in Camelhair

Tagged 40L, this lovely jacket measures:

Chest: 21
Sleeve: 26 1/8 (+1 1/4)
Shoulder: 17 3/4
Length: 31

As you'd expect from The Andover Shop this is absolutely beautiful! Cut as a classic 3/2 sack from first-rate camelhair, this has a lovely fluid lapel roll and beautifully narrow lapels--as befits a jacket that likely dates from the 1960s.

It is fully canvassed and half-lined, and features lapped seams across the shoulder and down the center back. It has a single rear hook vent, and two button cuffs. Naturally, it has very natural shoulders. It is a vintage jacket, and has some minor fading from age in the lining of the arms, as shown, and so it is in Very Good/Excellent condition.

This also has a MYSTERY LABEL!

It states that The Andover Shop has four locations: Hyannis, Osterville, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach. There is no mention of either Andover, Mass., or Cambridge, Mass.--as far as I know the only locations that The Andover Shop has ever been. And it's very unlikely that this jacket is from another "The Andover Shop". Not only is the logo that of THE Andover Shop, but this jacket is so quintessentially Ivy it really couldn't have been sold anywhere else.

Hyannis, Osterville, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach are all Ivy bastions.... So it is quite possible that during the heyday of Ivy Style The Andover Shop had the 1960s equivalent of "pop up" locations in appropriately Ivy stores in those towns--and this jacket was sold in one. And given that this is the first time I have seen a label like this in all my years of enjoying vintage Ivy items I suspect that this was a very short-lived retail experiment.

This might be one of the few chances left to secure an item from The Andover Shop. The Shop is currently for sale, and might well close.

Asking just $59, OR OFFER, boxed and shipped in the USA.

#31,692 · (Edited)
GRAIL! Stunning Cashmere 3/2 jacket.
Dated November 4, 1960.

Made By "Rogers Peet x Marston"!

I have information about both Rogers Peet and Marston on my Facebook page, WaterhollowTweed!

Tagged 42L. Measurements:

Chest: 21 1/2
Sleeve: 25 1/2 (+2 1/4)
Shoulder: 18
Length: 31 1/2

This is absolutely gorgeous, and in simply incredible condition!

Long before companies realized the marketing advantages of collaborating with "heritage" menswear brands ("Land Rover x Barbour", "Levis x Filson", and so on) there was a groundbreaking collaboration between Rogers Peer--the preeminent upscale department store of New York City--and Marston, its West Coast equivalent.

Although this collaboration was not heralded with press conferences at hooplah--neither the old-money Rogers Peet nor the civic-minded George Marston would have even considered something so vulgar--the wealthy denizens of San Diego did take notice when they saw in the labels of the clothing they were considering not just one, but two, of the most prominent names in upscale retail. And what cool Californian wouldn't want something from Rogers Peet in their wardrobe--especially when visiting the actual store wouldn't be at all easy, or cheap!

This jacket is one of the few surviving items from that historic collaboration... and given its incredible quality both Rogers Peet and Marston's would be proud that its survived to show the quality of their joint wares.

Although there is no fabric content listed this is clearly cashmere--and not the thin stuff so widely available in malls today, but the seriously soft and luxurious cashmere of the middle of last century. And the patterning and colourway are just as remarkable as the softness of the cloth; a wonderful shepherds' check in peat black, midnight blue, with chestnut accents. beautiful--and utterly mid-century.

The jacket does full justice to the cloth. Cut as a 3/2 jacket with an exceptionally elegant lapel roll, this is half-lined in striped lining to complement the cloth, and is fully canvassed. It has a single center vent. It also has three patch pockets--all of which are fitted with center reverse pleats, both for function and style.

Naturally, this jacket was Union Made in the USA.

less naturally for a jacket that was made on November 4th, 1960, this is in incredible condition. I am very conservative in grading vintage pieces, and so would never call one Mint--but this comes very close, and is in absolutely excellent condition. It was clearly worn sparingly, if at all.... Maybe it was even bought as a souvenir of the Peet x Marston collaboration.

One thing that is bittersweet is the date--November, 1960. Within a year of this jacket's being finished and sent West Marston's was no more.

This is a true Grail item--but one that is utterly wearable. A contemporary jacket of this quality would retail on the secondary market for quite a bit; a jacket with this history far more. So, it's hard to price this... But since my approach here has always been to price items so that even I, a very frugal buyer, would be very pleased with the bargain, how about just $75, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA?

A piece of sartorial history for less than the cost of a used recent jacket from Brooks on the 'bay! :)

#31,693 · (Edited)
Looking to clear these scarves outta here. Let's make a deal. Each one is now $19 CONUS. Discounts on multiple purchases.

All scarves are clean with no holes or stains and ready to wear.

#1 - Royal Stewart tartan by Lochcarron of Scotland. Appears to be new without tags. 11" x 54.5".

#2 - Stewart Dress tartan by Lochcarron of Scotland. Appears to be new without tags. 11" x 53". CLAIMED

#3 - Campbell of Argyll tartan by James Pringle. Made in Scotland. 11.5" x 51.5", fringe 3". CLAIMED

#4 - Daks, 100% lambswool Made in the U.K. 11.5" x 54.75", .

#6 - John Hanly & Co. for L.L. Bean, 100% lambswool. 11" x 65.5", . CLAIMED

#7 - Unbranded, marked as 100% cashmere, made in England. 11.5" x 63.5", .

#31,696 ·
GORGEOUS Paul Stuart Herringbone Tweed Overcoat!
CLAIMED!

This is absolutely stunning--a true Ivy classic!

Tagged 40 Tall. Measurements:

Chest: 22 1/8
Sleeve: 26 3/4 (+1 3/4)
Shoulder: 18 3/4
Length: 45

This is absolutely beautiful! Cut from wonderful thick heavy warm tweed in broad black-and-white herringbone this lovely coat is cut as an utterly traditional Anglophile overcoat.... Given both the cloth and the cut this coat could easily have been made any time from the Roaring Twenties to now!

This coat has a three button closure at the front with a traditional concealed placket to preserve its elegant silhouette when worn; the small lowest button is for use with the short tweed closure strap (similar to a throat latch) located on the interior of the coat to make sure that you can secure the lower flap if desired.

Given its Anglophile heritage this coat features a fully functional flapped ticket pocket in addition to the traditional two deep flapped pockets and the upper breast pocket; all of the pockets are lined in sturdy cotton duck. The coat is fully canvassed and fully lined, and features a single center vent. In addition to the deep interior breast pocket for your wallet is also features a wide and deep map pocket on the lower interior left. The cuffs are finished with four buttons, and the original hanger loop is intact and clearly unused.

This coat would be perfect paired with everything from charcoal flannels and an odd tweed jacket, to cords and a tattersall waistcoat or a heavy Aran sweater, to a pinstripe suit! It would be perfect worn with a traditional college scarf from Luke Ayres of England, or, if you didn't attend a suitable college, a tartan cashmere scarf.

This wonderful coat was Union Made in Canada expressly for Paul Stuart.

It is in overall excellent condition--but it does have a couple of (very) minor flaws. First, there is some minor discoloration at the fold of the collar--this is very minor, and I didn't see it until I examined the collar close-up in bright sunlight. (I couldn't capture this in my photographs, although I've included the picture where I tried!) But, it is there! Second, there is a very small rip in the lining in the back shoulders, perhaps 1 1/2" long--I could have this sewn closed free of charge if you'd like! And, finally, there is some minor collar creep, with the collar sliding up at the back... although this could be considered an insouciant feature rather than a bug, and, if desired, could be cured by sympathetic pressing.

The closest item that Paul Stuart currently offers is their "Brown Houndstooth Raglan Overcoat", which is a blend of wool (85%), polyester, silk, and linen... and which retails at $3,995. (But, don't worry, they'll give you just under $1000 off today as it's Cyber Monday!) Frankly, this coat is superior to that one... But it would still never have been worth almost $4000 even new!

But it most certainly is worth $175, OR OFFER, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA!

As the purchaser, I wanted to follow up and do two things (1) show a pic of the coat that I just got back from the tailor (I had the sleeves shortened a touch and the coat cleaned - as TweedyDon suggested it needed, the collar came clean) and (2) pay a much, much deserved compliment to Tweedy for being such a professional and gentleman.

The coat was exactly as he described with every modest flaw pointed out by Tweedy in his original post. Also, our communication and his followup was pleasant and proactive. I can only encourage everyone to keep an eye on his offerings and to not hesitate to purchase from him.

⇩ Me in the nicest overcoat I've ever owned and that includes Burberry, Brooks Brothers and Polo ones:
Outerwear Dress shirt Textile Neck Sleeve
Outerwear Shoulder Dress shirt Neck Textile

#31,700 · (Edited)
Tweedy has been a valuable resource for me for quite some time. I have bought numerous things from him, and sent him many more things to sell for me, because he's better at it than I am.

By the time he gets through the stuff I sent him this week, he's going to feel like Tweedy Don Quixote.
Many thanks for your kind words, Patrick! And three HUGE boxes have just arrived!

UPDATE! Six more boxes arrived today, three the size of small Manhattan apartments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.