zzdocxx

Honors Member
Pick stitching, it seems to be recognized as a mark of a suit that has made with care.

My impression is that it is almost like part of an insider's "code", to be appreciated by those knowledgeable about fine clothing.

Here's the thing, as an example. The suit I got from mytailor/Hemranjani Brothers, I could just barely make out the stitching along the lapel until one day when I was in a room with the afternoon light coming in the window. Somehow that threw the little puckers into relief and I could see it plainly.

I imagine that pick stitching could be made more obvious by the use of a thicker thread, or by bigger stitches, and so forth.

While that would make it more obvious that it has pick stitching, it also seems a bit affected, artificial, contrived, pretentious, you get the idea. (Thank you, Thesaurus.) And also, isn't it possible that there could be pick stitching on clothing that isn't really that well made?

But yet I do see some expensive hand-made suits where the pick stitching is indeed quite visible.

So, let me ask:

Would you ever consider asking for your pick stitching to be done in a way that makes it stand out more?

If not, then would you ever consider asking for it to be done in a way that is less obvious?

If not, why not?

Ehhh, I was going to post a pic showing the stitching but somehow it won't upload. Is 89K too big a file size?

Last edited:

Taken Aback

Advanced Member
Truly noticeable pick stitching, especially contrasting colors, is something I notice on more trendy jackets.

89k seems a small file size for an attached image. However, you can always use imageshack instead.

loarbmhs

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm not a big fan of pick stitching. I have bespoke suits from London, and they look just fine without the extra detail. If you are partial to it, by all means indulge yourself. But please keep the look subtle as others here have suggested. People who incorporate contrasting stitching on button holes, etc. just to scream, "Hey, look at me...this jacket is custom" are, in my humble opinion, trying too hard.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I'm not a big fan of pick stitching. I have bespoke suits from London, and they look just fine without the extra detail. If you are partial to it, by all means indulge yourself. But please keep the look subtle as others here have suggested. People who incorporate contrasting stitching on button holes, etc. just to scream, "Hey, look at me...this jacket is custom" are, in my humble opinion, trying too hard.
You have bespoke suits from London that don't have pick stitching? Did you request it that way? I thought all tailors pick stitch their lapels. It's not just decorative and actually serves a purpose. Not having it is like cutting corners.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
At the risk of exposing my sartorial naivete, just what practical/definite purpose, other than decoration, is served by pick stitching? And while I'm asking questions, why is it so desired/popular on a jacket? :icon_scratch:

paul winston

Advertiser
There are details that once were a "sign" that the garment was not off the rack. With the lions share of clothing now made off shore, the added cost to create these details is often pennies, which people no longer even pick up off the street. You find open sleeve button holes on the cheapest suits. ( Ironically, those who thought this was great are surprised to find what that "detail" costs them when they go to have their sleeves altered. Pick stitching is in the same pew. It serves no purpuse in well tailored garments. What it comes down to is if you like it, you should do it.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
www.grenadineties.com

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Thanks, Mr. Winston, that's what had me wondering.

Yeah I was just thinking that a slightly larger thread, bigger stitches, etc., might make it more noticeable.

But then again it would be one of those things of just calling attention to itself.

The picture, I realize now it the file size is just a bit too large, it is 126KB.

Is there an image re-sizer on this site?

Thanks!

Well I just used an online resizer, and every time I try to post it, no matter how small the file size, it always says I have exceeded my quota, or something.

Frustrating!

Last edited:

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Put the image on photobucket and tried to post it as a URL, I got a message similar to what I had gotten in the past, which was "invalid URL".

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t454/albert436/Hemrajani1.jpg

OK there's a link to the photo showing the inside of the lapel, you can see the stitching along the edge.

Also something I had never seen before, the backsides of the buttons have those mini-buttons sewn on.

Hey if anyone can make that URL work with the image posting function, could you post it here? I'd just like to see if it can work.

Oh that's weird, I tried it again but I unchecked that box that said something about referencing locally, whatever that means. And voila!

Thanks!

G

Guest-825565

The edge-stitching on the pale grey coat is already so loud its proud owner needn't add to the cacophony by blathering on about it.
But if one likes a particular style of a certain type (e.g., Ede & Ravenscroft's pick-stitching) one may choose it for the intrinsic pleasure. If others notice and approve, that's a welcome bonus.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
Personally, I simply like the way pick stitching looks.

And, personally, I like the way functional buttons on the cuffs of coat sleeves look. Plus, I find them more comfortable as the fit is better. What other people think is of no concern to me, personally.

Besides, fit is most important followed by function then material (which is not just fabric but also leather and suede, for what its worth).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.