Absurd or not, Prince Charles wears Turnbull suit

tyalav

Starting Member
According to this online report, Prince Chares was ostensibly wearing a Turnbull & Asser suit. I had previously read on this forum, although my memory may be faulty, that he had ceased his relationship with Anderson & Sheppard. Little did I know that he would have the propensity to purchase Turnbull & Asser suits in addition to their shirts. I wonder whether the suit was bespoke or whether he acquired it as RTW.

Here's the link:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4891788.stm

The quote: "The prince is dressed in a dark Turnbull and Asser suit with a patterned handkerchief in his pocket and is wearing a striped Royal Naval Air Service tie."

Concordia

Elite Member
Except for a slightly squarer shoulder, that doesn't look so different from his A&S suits. I wonder if he is just saving a few quid by having them run off copies?

Morris

quote:Originally posted by Concordia

Except for a slightly squarer shoulder, that doesn't look so different from his A&S suits. I wonder if he is just saving a few quid by having them run off copies?

Doesn't the proletariat fund the POW's closet?

-- Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.

Concordia

Elite Member
He gets a stipend from the government in exchange for his public duties, but no special clothing allowance as far as I know. There is also a private fortune (mostly the Duchy of Cornwall), from which he is now making payments to the Exchequer in lieu of income tax.

He's not poor, but has been known to grumble about the prices of things.

wheredidyougetthathat

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Morris

Doesn't the proletariat fund the POW's closet?

nope.

Somebody: "I tell you, he's so well dressed that when he walks down the street people turn around to look at him."
Beau Brummell: "Then he is not well dressed."

jcbmath

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Concordia

He gets a stipend from the government in exchange for his public duties, but no special clothing allowance as far as I know. There is also a private fortune (mostly the Duchy of Cornwall), from which he is now making payments to the Exchequer in lieu of income tax.

He's not poor, but has been known to grumble about the prices of things.
If your curious, I found this online:

It reports the Duchy of Cornwall's income to be about 16,000,000 pounds annually.

Morris

quote:Originally posted by jcbmath

It reports the Duchy of Cornwall's income to be about 16,000,000 pounds annually.

[:0]!

-- Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
The aristocracy has traditionally grumbled about the price of things. It's part of their schtick. That's why they spend so much up front. Then they don't have to buy anything for years. As Terry Pratchett says, the rich survive in a kind of strange poverty. Because they buy good things in the beginning they only buy them once and so actually spend less money than we among the hoi polloi.

StephenRG

Honors Member
As Terry Pratchett says, the rich survive in a kind of strange poverty. Because they buy good things in the beginning they only buy them once and so actually spend less money than we among the hoi polloi.

IIRC that, specifically, Vimes came to that realisation when he couldn't afford to buy a good pair of leather boots...

thefancyman

The aristocracy has traditionally grumbled about the price of things. It's part of their schtick. That's why they spend so much up front. Then they don't have to buy anything for years. As Terry Pratchett says, the rich survive in a kind of strange poverty. Because they buy good things in the beginning they only buy them once and so actually spend less money than we among the hoi polloi.

The old money and the British Royal Family in general are notorious for their thriftiness. The legendary stories of the Prince of Wales 40 year old bespoke John Lobb balmorals, the Duke of Edinburgh's 50 year old bespoke trousers he had recut by John Kent a few years ago and the whole "boston cracked crab" phenomena of the New England old money purposely getting their leather penny loafers and brogues wet until the leather cracked and keeping them in a derelict state of dirt caked on without any polishing to show just exactly how old their money was.

I read a funny story that the Queen almost refused a solid 18kt gold fountain pen from the British maker Conway Stewart that they had gifted her for her Golden Jubilee. She wrote them a letter stating that if the pen was only for decorative purposes that she would have to return it and would like a simpler working model. The Queen writes a lot (she hand writes the name of each person that is invited to Buckingham Palace and signs the invitation) so she likes pens that are no-frills, workhorse types. She is famous for using Parker 51 fountain pens for daily use that are 50+ years old.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.