ACI - Calvin Trillin's index for pretentiousness

Tom Buchanan

I thought everyone would enjoy trad-author Calvin Trillin's new index to measure pretentiousness. Notice the description of the index-inventor's trad clothing below.

https://www.slate.com/articles/life...s_a_new_way_of_measuring_pretentiousness.html

He was dressed, as he’d been the other time I saw him, in gray trousers and a tweed jacket and a blue button-down shirt—none of which differed from what could have been purchased in close proximity to a New England college campus in 1959. Again, he was wearing a club tie. This time, it appeared, from my vantage point, to be decorated with tiny artificial-heart valves.

The Rambler

Honors Member
Enjoyed very much, Trillin is about as droll as it gets: the explanation of the financial crisis, alluded to at the begiining, is truly hilarious, and hilariously true, imo. I think that one first appeared in The New Yorker.

Urbnhautebourg

I loved that article and immediately thought of you guys when I read it. The subject of the article sounds like he is the perfect Trad. I was particularly delighted by the first paragraph in which Our Guy indicates that he knew Wall Street was going to hell as soon as they started hiring smart guys--"our guys could never come up with something like credit default swaps--we couldn't do the math." While amusing, it's also a great point.

Edit: I see Rambler makes the same point. Sorry for the repetition.

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
Trillin's, Messages From My Father stands out as one of my favorite reads. I can see why you call him a "Trad" writer but it never occurred to think of him as "Trad." I wonder if he would agree with the label.

This was a nice thread to start.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed the article.

I haven't read much of Trillin's work, but what I have--a nice piece about his deceased wife, and some writing about barbecue- made me want to seek out more.

Tom Buchanan

Trillin's, Messages From My Father stands out as one of my favorite reads. I can see why you call him a "Trad" writer but it never occurred to think of him as "Trad." I wonder if he would agree with the label.

Good point, I probably should have written "always trad-dressed author Calvin Trillin" since I am not sure what a "trad-author" is. I might score high on the ACI :)

As was pointed out on this forum and other sites, Trillin knows trad/ivy clothes.

https://theivyleaguelook.blogspot.com/2009/06/calvin-trillin-ca-1955.html

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.