never behind

Now that I’ve bought more clothing than I ever imagined just for my winter wardrobe, I figure it’s time to work on my summer wardrobe. I have a couple pair of tropical wool trousers, as well as a hopsack trouser. I also have two pair of casual cotton/linen chinos from Brooks Brothers. My only real summer weight jacket is a navy hopsack blazer.

I am considering buying this linen trouser from O’Connells to wear to the office and other places with a jacket. Something a little more “dressier” of a linen trouser than the BB. Would this be a solid first linen trouser color?
1617644760553.png

Concerning a jacket to pair with a trouser such as this, would the wool hopsack work? Or is there too much of a formality and/or texture difference? I have considered buying a navy linen jacket to wear with the Brooks Brothers chinos and the above O’Connells trousers. Again this would be worn to the office, so my thinking is a navy color would be best vs a lighter blue. I am also thinking about a jacket that would pair well with the tropical wool and/or hopsack (these are varying shades of grey), or any other summer pants I may buy in the future (more linen or a fresco). Here is one option I’m considering from J Press.

1617645206193.jpeg

Or would a cotton (J Press has a navy searsuccker) be better?

G

Guest-24032

There are a lot of options. And you raise multiple questions -

1. The hopsack may, or may not, pair well with the linen. The degree of a more formal appearance varies dependent upon the cloth, and typically a looser, lighter weight hopsack should pair better. A navy blazer of tropical wool should about hit the sweet spot.

2. Navy is the most formal choice, and should pair well. But a lighter blue, as well as cocoa would also look good. A lighter wool in a twill weave would be nice. The degree of formality for an office varies with the degree of formality of the office.

3. Seersucker would look good.

4. This all presupposes that cream slacks, while perfectly suitable with the context of the ensemble, is sufficiently formal for your office. More so in the South, less common in the northeast.

5. Be ready for wrinkles! And a more intimate relationship with your dry cleaner. ;)

never behind

The office is an accounting firm and historically conservative/formal. However, almost 2 years ago it went to a “dress for your day” format. So most young staffers wear dark jeans and polos. I still wear wool trousers/jackets but was looking at something less formal, especially for hot summer days. I don’t think linen will be an issue.

Here are some pictures of the hopsack for reference.

6E187F9E-76F9-407B-B098-6AD78C6E9636.jpeg

7F9BA283-A260-4F20-9E36-E761CA582FEF.jpeg

G

Guest-785793

Seeing the proposed hopsack blazer (Which is grey on my monitor, but I assume navy in the real world.) I think it would be sub optimal. A lightweight navy twill in wool, or one of the more casual variants suggested would likely be better.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Seeing the proposed hopsack blazer (Which is grey on my monitor, but I assume navy in the real world.) I think it would be sub optimal. A lightweight navy twill in wool, or one of the more casual variants suggested would likely be better.
Sorry, but I disagree with this. I think a navy wool twill would be both too formal and too warm to pair with linen trousers, while hopsack works much better with linen trousers because it's more relaxed and also better suits the season.

delicious_scent

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I think a navy wool twill would be both too formal and too warm to pair with linen trousers, while hopsack works much better with linen trousers because it's more relaxed and also better suits the season.
In this case I would go hopsack.

I know hopsack is a menswear favourite, but I find most variations to look far too smooth and surprisingly formal.

I like the ones with the chunkier weaves and texture.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.