Olifter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I stopped by my local Allen Edmonds store today and learned that apparently the company is getting rid of the shoe color Bourbon.

Anyone have any info on this?
Were they discounted in the store? There are over a dozen models (Bourbon only) on clearance on the website, with some size limitations.

AllenEdmondsCEO

Last Call for Bourbon

Seaons Greetings AAAC Friends --

The OP is correct. We are taking a break from bourbon for a while and all of our bourbon shoes are on Clearance -- a fabulous opportunity for those who like the nuance of the bourbon look.

We've decided to narrow our calfskin color range down to 5 for 2016 -- black, brown burnished, chili, oxblood and walnut. We see our newly updated versions of both chili and oxblood as trending very positively these days and want to give them more focus this coming year. We're also working in production to be more consistent in our finishing and to make superior finishing more of a strength of AE. Reducing the colorwheel to 5 (4 browns) helps us in that pursuit as well.

So, if you like the bourbon look, it's "last call". Bottoms up.

Thanks for your support in 2015 and Happy New Year, everyone!

Paul

Spex

We've decided to narrow our calfskin color range down to 5 for 2016 -- black, brown burnished, chili, oxblood and walnut.
Honestly, what more does anyone need? Just use a different coloured polish and do the work yourself!

Good to hear form you on the forum again, Paul! All the best to AE in 2016.

orange fury

Connoisseur
Hey Paul, I've heard that the bourbon was a difficult color to apply (propensity for "tiger-striping")- is this correct, and is this part of the reason behind the discontinuation?

i like my bourbon Mora's, but oxblood is a color I get far more use out of, so not a huge loss for me. Good to see you back, good luck in 2016!

ZMAN

I have a chukka boot in the bourbon color. I preferred the bourbon over the walnut, because I thought it was a more subtle color to the walnut. My hope is that when my bourbon chukka's wear out, the bourbon color will return in a nice loafer.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
A-E does this sort of thing with some regularity. For instance, they deep-sixed chestnut a few years back. What galls me, though, is that they discontinue their proprietary polishes along with the shoe color. However, I have a good reserve of their chestnut polish. Another casualty has been their "mocha" polish. They do not have a medium-brown polish in their lineup, at least as of the last time I inquired. Fortunately, a good medium-brown can be had from Nordstrom. My understanding is that A-E and Nordstrom use the same vendor, Collimil (sp.?), for their polishes.

The bourbon color always looked a little odd to me...but "de gustibus" and all that!

ErnstStavroBlofeld

Hey Paul, I've heard that the bourbon was a difficult color to apply (propensity for "tiger-striping")- is this correct, and is this part of the reason behind the discontinuation?

i like my bourbon Mora's, but oxblood is a color I get far more use out of, so not a huge loss for me. Good to see you back, good luck in 2016!
Funny you mention the Bourbon Moras as I bought a pair of them today.

On the subject of shelving Bourbon. I find it weird that AE is getting rid of this color as it seems so versatile like you can pair it with anything almost.

espressocycle

I can see dropping bourbon, but eliminating merlot in favor of oxblood is a huge mistake in my opinion. The oxblood is very "in your face" while the merlot is both versatile and understated. Happily, I have two pairs of shell in traditional color 8 which more or less fits that need, but for someone purchasing their first pair of good shoes, I would always suggest a conservative burgundy for its ability to pair equally well with dark charcoals to lighter shades of tan.

DRWWE

I personally like bourbon and own a pair of their Mora 2s. What I did not have was a matching belt and I found one on sale on their website this past weekend. Of course I looked around and noticed many of their bourbon shoes on sale and broke down on a pair of McAllisters with Dainite soles. I didn't need another pair of shoes but the style and color were too nice to pass up at the price.

Now that I've read this thread, I'm really glad I ordered those shoes. Bourbon is such a nice shade of brown.

srlclark

Starting Member
Thank you for this information.

I would like to ask you whether you would please consider sometimes posting updates on the discussion threads at dappered.com as well as here? I know that you sponsor that website, and there are a lot of your fans on there who would appreciate your feedback. I post there regularly but just created an account here primarily to ask whether you could consider joining us there as well.

That makes sense to consolidate for the time being and focus on a few core colors. You are also going to continue selling merlot shoes for the Jefferson 2.0, the Hopkinson, and the McAllister, aren't you?

Also, I'm confused when you say that four of the five colors are shades of brown. Is there any brown at all in oxblood? I thought it was basically a dark red with a bit of purple in it from the black burnishing. I don't own a pair, though.

Seaons Greetings AAAC Friends --

The OP is correct. We are taking a break from bourbon for a while and all of our bourbon shoes are on Clearance -- a fabulous opportunity for those who like the nuance of the bourbon look.

We've decided to narrow our calfskin color range down to 5 for 2016 -- black, brown burnished, chili, oxblood and walnut. We see our newly updated versions of both chili and oxblood as trending very positively these days and want to give them more focus this coming year. We're also working in production to be more consistent in our finishing and to make superior finishing more of a strength of AE. Reducing the colorwheel to 5 (4 browns) helps us in that pursuit as well.

So, if you like the bourbon look, it's "last call". Bottoms up.

Thanks for your support in 2015 and Happy New Year, everyone!

Paul

Dcr5468

Call a retail store, they may be able to track one down. There are a few floating around the stores. Polish as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.