DG123

Do any of you here own/wear an Alden Indy boot with Neocork sole as well as a pair with the Commando sole ?
I have the standard #405 boot w/Neocork sole and like it very much and am curious how the fit/comfort/durability etc... of the Commando sole compares.

jon44

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have a Shoe Mart special version of Alden boot with commando sole and don't like it. It's noticeably more flexible than leather sole and I'm concerned about reviewers on Youtube showing ugly signs of wear (e.g., chipping of rubber) after a year or so of use.

DG123

I have a Shoe Mart special version of Alden boot with commando sole and don't like it. It's noticeably more flexible than leather sole and I'm concerned about reviewers on Youtube showing ugly signs of wear (e.g., chipping of rubber) after a year or so of use.
That is the type of information I wanted, thanks.
It seems several of the current Indy boots, especially the retailer special version models, have the Commando sole. I am not sure if that is because people believe it looks better than the traditional Neocork sole, or that rubber on the bottom of the Commando makes it more suitable for wet or icy walking surfaces.

Eligius

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a question about Commando soles and comfort with walking. I am looking at some Alden shoes that I would use when walking medium distances (1-2 miles at a time) on city sidewalks. Are Commando soles more comfortable than standard leather soles? Anyone have experience with both Commando and wedge soles with regards to comfort with this kind of activity?

DG123

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a question about Commando soles and comfort with walking. I am looking at some Alden shoes that I would use when walking medium distances (1-2 miles at a time) on city sidewalks. Are Commando soles more comfortable than standard leather soles? Anyone have experience with both Commando and wedge soles with regards to comfort with this kind of activity?
By "wedge sole" do you mean an all rubber lug sole ?

Last edited:

Eligius

By "wedge sole" do you mean an all rubber lug sole ?
What I am thinking of with a wedge sole is described (in my online reading) as a single piece of rubber or polyurethane. I suppose this could include a full lug sole too but may be a broader concept. This is an example of what I have seen online:

1618000949795.png

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Alden produces (I believe they call them) Tanker Boots they offer for sale fitted with Commando Soles and also with the Alden version of a leather tipped plantation crepe sole. If you are looking for a drop dead comfortable sole and heel on which to walk, go with the plantation crepe! ;)

DG123

Alden produces (I believe they call them) Tanker Boots they offer for sale fitted with Commando Soles and also with the Alden version of a leather tipped plantation crepe sole. If you are looking for a drop dead comfortable sole and heel on which to walk, go with the plantation crepe! ;)
I agree that Alden's plantation sole makes for an exceptionally comfortable walking shoe. I would like to see Alden bring back to their planation-sole line the Norweigian front All Weather Walker, add a long wing blucher, and add an Indy boot.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.