bd79cc

It seems that www.nettletonshoes.com is the current version of Nettleton. I do see Aldens (aside from my own) from time to time but have never even seen Nettletons anywhere. They cost significantly more than similar Aldens. Some shoes might justify such a price point (Barker Black bit loafers, e.g., IMHO). Are Nettletons in this category?

Kreiger

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
There was a previous thread where many members expressed doubt as to this issue (re: new nettleton being worth the $). I have not seen the shoes in person, but just looking at them on the website, I have very serious doubts. For one, they list no country of origin. This alone isn't a sign of bad quality, but if the shoes were from a 'good' location, it would make sense that nettleton would say this. USA, UK, Italy, France, Spain, etc all normally will be listed by the mfg. because these are taken as a sign of quality. Further, $800 is a fair amount for a RTW shoe, more than Carmina, CJ, or AS, in the range of Vass. While I cannot say all of these brands exceed nettleton, as I have not seen the nettleton shoes in action, or even in non-mfg photos, it does worry me that they lack features, such as a channeled sole etc. that I would associate with higher end shoes justifying the price.

My knee-jerk reaction would be to say:

Vtg nettleton is greater than or equal to vtg Alden.

Modern nettleton is less than modern Alden (simply because I fear they are trading on the nettleton name without providing a shoe justifying the high price).

Eric W S

Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Modern nettleton is less than modern Alden (simply because I fear they are trading on the nettleton name without providing a shoe justifying the high price).
x2. Vintage Nettleton's are a thing of beauty.

alkydrinker

I have not seen the shoes in person, but just looking at them on the website, I have very serious doubts. For one, they list no country of origin. .
I didn't even know Nettleton was resurrected until coming across this thread. Their website does state that the leather uppers are from a tannery in France and the soles are from Germany, but no, they do not state where they are actually put together.

Bandit44

It's not an apples to apples comparison. Alden has a New England-based factory, well-trained workforce, and an established line of shoes. Someone privately owns the Nettleton brand and is outsourcing production to Belgium; Nettleton of Syracuse, NY no longer exists. The new Nettleton may be drawing inspiration from old designs, but this is a different shoe company. The new company may be manufacturing world-class shoes, but why call them Nettletons?

Comparing vintage Nettletons (or Florsheims, Hanovers, J&Ms) to modern Aldens is fun to do, but also not really fair, since the decline of the welted shoemaking has limited the availability and raised the expense of materials. As much as I have bemoaned the death of Nettleton, it's good to know that, much like fifty years ago, I can still buy readily-available shoes with full-grain uppers, steel shanks, prime grade soles, and vegetable-tanned leather linings-- thanks to Alden.

Last edited:
G

Guest-262718

There was a previous thread where many members expressed doubt as to this issue (re: new nettleton being worth the $). I have not seen the shoes in person, but just looking at them on the website, I have very serious doubts. For one, they list no country of origin. This alone isn't a sign of bad quality, but if the shoes were from a 'good' location, it would make sense that nettleton would say this. USA, UK, Italy, France, Spain, etc all normally will be listed by the mfg. because these are taken as a sign of quality. Further, $800 is a fair amount for a RTW shoe, more than Carmina, CJ, or AS, in the range of Vass. While I cannot say all of these brands exceed nettleton, as I have not seen the nettleton shoes in action, or even in non-mfg photos, it does worry me that they lack features, such as a channeled sole etc. that I would associate with higher end shoes justifying the price.

They're back in business after being dormant for a long time. Shoes are made by a contractor in Western Europe. See article below from bizjournal.com

Edward Tognoni ran Nettleton for nearly a decade in the 1970s and 1980s, before selling the brand to U.S. Shoe Co. He re-purchased the brand a few years later.

Tognoni, who now lives in Miami, let the brand sit dormant until last year when his brother Jim and son, Dean, came across Nettleton shoes being sold online and realized there was still a market for the brand. In the past few months, the family has retained a contract manufacturer in Western Europe to make the Nettleton shoes. Jim Tognoni lives in St. Louis and Dean Tognoni lives in Las Vegas.

Jim Tognoni said his family anticipates doing $4.5 million in sales during the first 12 months of operation, including $3 million in direct-to-consumer sales via the company website and $1.5 million on the wholesale side.

“We are in the process of hand selecting 15 or so high-end retailers across the U.S. that cater to gentlemen,” he said in an email. After the initial 12 months, he said the company plans to expand its retail and wholesale operations in the United Kingdom, Belgium, France and Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishertw

Advanced Member
Ben Silver has carried them for at least the past two years. I've also seen them in a shop in Winston Salem NC on Reynolda Road about three years ago.

blue suede shoes

My only comment is: $795 for a pair of business/dress shoes that are offered in only one width? You've got to be kidding!!

These businessmen are not really serious about providing quality shoes in the same class as Alden, Vass, or even Allen Edmonds.

Last edited:

Brooksfan

Comparing the current Nettleton product to Alden is tantamount to comparing a Mercedes to any commodity vehicle out there. Buy the real thing if you're spending that much.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.