Allen Edmonds Boardroom (Jos A Bank Park Avenue)

Aardvark43

Starting Member
Coming out of this thread, I stopped by AE to pick up some brown FAs. I was sized properly with a 9D. I wore them around the house for a couple hours and then started to realize that the shoe was putting quite a bit of pressure on the outside of my foot (1/3rd away up from the heal) right where the leather seam meets the sole. I went to AE's website and read that the 5-last was made for a long slender foot (which I do not have). The 7-last seemed to make more sense since it better accommodates a normal foot with a high arch. I returned the shoes the next day. After doing a little more research I came across the AE Boardroom shoe at Jos A Bank which was basically the PA but on the 7-last. I ran out to my local JAB in Reston Town Center. They didn't have any in the store, but the sales guy ordered me a pair (and gave me the 20% corporate discount - so $268 - without me even asking). They arrived in 3 days.

Well, I received my Boardrooms and have been wearing them off and on for a couple weeks, and I have to say they are incredibly comfortable and are a much better fit than the FA/PA. I'll update this thread at a later date on the longevity, but hopefully AE didn't let up on the quality for the shoes sold at JAB. It is disappointing, however, that AE doesn't make many shoes on the 7-last. So, I ended up ordering the black and merlot from JAB's site last weekend at 25% off ($250) to fill out my collection.

So, for those of you out there who want an AE PA but don't exactly have the right foot for the 5-last, look at the Boardroom on the 7-last.

Last edited:

Checkerboard 13

Senior Member<br>Moderator
Coming out of this thread, I stopped by AE to pick up some brown FAs. I was sized properly with a 9D. I wore them around the house for a couple hours and then started to realize that the shoe was putting quite a bit of pressure on the outside of my foot (1/3rd away up from the heal) right where the leather seam meets the sole. I went to ae.com and read that the 5-last was made for a long slender foot (which I do not have). The 7-last seemed to make more sense since it better accommodates a normal foot with a high arch. I returned the shoes the next day. After doing a little more research I came across the AE Boardroom shoe at Jos A Bank which was basically the PA but on the 7-last. I ran out to my local JAB in Reston Town Center. They didn't have any in the store, but the sales guy ordered me a pair (and gave me the 20% corporate discount - so $268 - without me even asking). They arrived in 3 days.

Well, I received my Boardrooms and have been wearing them off and on for a couple weeks, and I have to say they are incredibly comfortable and are a much better fit than the FA/PA. I'll update this thread at a later date on the longevity, but hopefully AE didn't let up on the quality for the shoes sold at JAB. It is disappointing, however, that AE doesn't make many shoes on the 7-last. So, I ended up ordering the black and merlot from JAB.com last weekend at 25% off ($250) to fill out my collection.

So, for those of you out there who want an AE PA but don't exactly have the right foot for the 5-last, look at the Boardroom on the 7-last.

I would be very interested to learn whether there are any differences in quality, materials or construction between the PA and the Boardroom, other than the different last.

I've always found it puzzling that AE chooses to build what might be considered the most basic of basic business shoes (the plain, black, captoe bal) on what seems to be their most difficult to fit last.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
I would be very interested to learn whether there are any differences in quality, materials or construction between the PA and the Boardroom, other than the different last.

I've always found it puzzling that AE chooses to build what might be considered the most basic of basic business shoes (the plain, black, captoe bal) on what seems to be their most difficult to fit last.

Hopefully, our AE CEO contributor will be willing to confirm, but I would be astonished if there is any difference in quality, materials, or construction between the PA and Boardroom. Just a different last -- that's all. Why they bother to do this is admittedly not obvious to me, but presumably it has something to do with AE's relationship with JAB.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
From experience, the AE's JAB shoes are no different than standard AE shoes. I wear a 10EEE in the 5 last, and have 8 or 10 pairs of 5 last shoes. Interestingly enough, I'm also a 10EEE in their boots (I think it's the 1 last; I have daltons and Fifth Street). That said the PA takes the 5 last to the extreme, and after trying 5 different pairs, cannot get ones that fit. I have never bothered to hit JAB, but seeing as my 7 last Macneils fit well, it is probably a good idea.

Aardvark43

Starting Member
Well, they look and play the part. I believe the toe-box is a little shorter on these shoes too (vs the PA/FA).

amemovox

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This post is valuable. I too have struggled with the AE #5 last. I may consider the JAB version of the PA.

How did you confirm it was on the #7 last ? Are there identifying numbers inside ?

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
This post is valuable. I too have struggled with the AE #5 last. I may consider the JAB version of the PA.

How did you confirm it was on the #7 last ? Are there identifying numbers inside ?

Well, yes, there are identifying numbers on the inside, but it is well known (and on the AE website) that the Boardroom is on the 7 last.

peterc

An excellent observation. On top of that, the fit on the AE branded 5 last shoes varies from shoe to shoe. I am a (snug) 9.5E in the Strand and an (excellent) fit on the Strawfut in a 10D. On top of that, my Fifth Avenue boots (ordered before they were in production) are PERFECT in a 9.5E.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
An excellent observation. On top of that, the fit on the AE branded 5 last shoes varies from shoe to shoe. I am a (snug) 9.5E in the Strand and an (excellent) fit on the Strawfut in a 10D. On top of that, my Fifth Avenue boots (ordered before they were in production) are PERFECT in a 9.5E.

Yup, went through this myself. AE had admitted that their construction tolerances are greater than that of a half-size. If you're uber-sensitive to that 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, try on multiple pairs.

peterc

Yup, went through this myself. AE had admitted that their construction tolerances are greater than that of a half-size. If you're uber-sensitive to that 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, try on multiple pairs.

Sage advice. I do indeed do exactly that - try on multiple pairs of the same shoe in the same size to get a perfect fit. This is especially true come sale time when your size might have been the display model. Do not expect the display model to fit the same as the fresh ones in the box. I experienced this too at Barneys here in SF, where the C&J shoe I was looking at fit fine on the right foot (display model) but the fresh ones in the box were too tight on the right foot. I passed on the display model as the right shoe (the display shoe) was noticeably faded.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
In my not-inconsiderable experience with A-E shoes, I have had shoes on the same last fit well and poorly on my feet. I have even experienced it with the same style. For instance, the A-E Lexington in black was a good fit on my feet, in merlot it was not--at least with those in stock at A-E's now defunct Cabazon outlet.

My experience with lasts is quite the reverse of the OP's. For me, the 5 last is good, the 7 last is bad...which is why A-E and other quality shoe manufacturers make shoes on a variety of lasts.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange