fishertw

Advanced Member
I've ordered three AE styles in the past week. Nomad Chucka, Nomad tan pebble penny loafer and Black Houston Travel Penny. All were at or less than half price. Main reason for these is that they all have removable cushion inserts and are available in wide widths which I must have to accomodate a pretty serious orthotic. I've moved from Alden to AE over the past three years in search of better quality shoes which accommodate the orthotics and have finally found a brand and solution that works. While these may not be the best shoes in the world, they fit, look nice and are affordable in quantities that I need to replace a WHOLE bunch of others.
Tom

drpeter

I've ordered three AE styles in the past week. Nomad Chucka, Nomad tan pebble penny loafer and Black Houston Travel Penny. All were at or less than half price. Main reason for these is that they all have removable cushion inserts and are available in wide widths which I must have to accomodate a pretty serious orthotic. I've moved from Alden to AE over the past three years in search of better quality shoes which accommodate the orthotics and have finally found a brand and solution that works. While these may not be the best shoes in the world, they fit, look nice and are affordable in quantities that I need to replace a WHOLE bunch of others.
Tom
Excellent! Tom, I'm really glad to hear you have found shoes that will accomodate your orthotics and still look very nice. It does not matter if Allen Edmonds isn't the top shoemaker in the world, they create outstanding shoes for everyday wear -- I have several pairs including a couple of nice shells. And I have some Aldens too, again including shells. Full disclosure: I am being the slightest bit a Wisconsin partisan here, supporting AE, LOL.

While Alden is indeed considered to be the great US cordweiner, there are others elsewhere that are probably as good or better: John Lobb, Edward Green, Cleverley, Vass -- the list can go on. The point I'm making is that there is always some maker who is better than a given maker, and besides, the shoemaker who makes what suits you best is actually the best shoemaker for you. Each shoemaker has their strong points and weak points. I doubt if there is anyone who is singularly accomplished on all fronts.

So wear your AEs with pride and joy -- and most importantly, with comfort!

Last edited:

fishertw

Advanced Member
Excellent! Tom, I'm really glad to hear you have found shoes that will accomodate your orthotics and still look very nice. It does not matter if Allen Edmonds isn't the top shoemaker in the world, they create outstanding shoes for everyday wear -- I have several pairs including a couple of nice shells. And I have some Aldens too, again including shells. Full disclosure: I am being the slightest bit a Wisconsin partisan here, supporting AE, LOL.

While Alden is indeed considered to be the great US cordweiner, there are others elsewhere that are probably as good or better: John Lobb, Edward Greene, Cleverley, Vass -- the list can go on. The point I'm making is that there is always some maker who is better than a given maker, and besides, the shoemaker who makes what suits you best is actually the best shoemaker for you. Each shoemaker has their strong points and weak points. I doubt if there is anyone who is singularly accomplished on all fronts.

So wear your AEs with pride and joy -- and most importantly, with comfort!
Thanks, I've given away or sold on this forum likely $3-4K worth of Aldens and really do like their styles but finding something that will accomodate the orthotic really is most important at this stage. One pair of Aldens remain in the closet and I just cannot bear to part with them. Only shoemakers I've found who do make nicer shoes which accomodate the orthotics are Neil M, Sam Hubbard and now AE with their removable foot beds. As we age, comfort really does become more important.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.