fullgrain

I did conduct interviews with others besides the AE folks. In addition, I mined the online forums (this one included) for lots of opinions. In addition, I own some 8-10 pairs of AE seconds and have my own experience. Nonetheless, it is good to have your perspective. Frankly, the suggestion to concentrate on seconds that you actually seen is a good one. Alternately, check out the shoes indoors and -- with the exception of seconds on closeout from eBay or the stores -- seconds can be returned to AE.
Fred, meant no disrespect, but dodgy ones do get through. Your comment on checking the shoes indoors is a good one--I'd add also to check them outdoors [or as close to the window as possible] in natural light. Perhaps my experience as a 9D is different than others, as that is the size of display models and thus more subject to wear and abuse and unven color wear due to one shoe being left out in the shop and the other in the box...

EAP

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It may be, however, that age has dimmed my eyesight and that someone with younger, more acute vision and perhaps a more critical eye for flaws in construction, etc., could spot flaws that would go unnoticed by me as I sink into my dotage.
This reminds me of the Steven Hunter novel Time to Hunt where the old lawyer Sam Vincent picks up the prosecution exhibit rifle in court with apparent great difficulty, and with palsied hand drops the .308 into the chamber. No one notices until he suddenly slaps the bolt closed and he's pulling the trigger to prove his point. Seconds later he has expertly disassembled the rifle, and is displaying the milled firing pin. His client is acquitted. I also recall that Sam was never seen without a tie.

More on topic, I've had difficulty with AE PA seconds to the point I gave up and ordered some new from the factory at full price. On the other hand, I wouldn't dare challenge JLibourel. Consequently, to reconcile this I'm forced to conclude that JLibourel through some wily pretext simply made off with all the good seconds.

Last edited:

Fred H.

My understanding is this...

If the seconds are not from the stores - I'm assuming your reference above is to the the AE factory outlet stores - or eBay, where would one purchase seconds?
AE eBay shoes are NOT returnable. That's because they are ALL closeout-seconds. However, if you call the main AE Shoe Bank in Port Washington (next to the factory), the clerks will sell you seconds in most styles. As long as those show no signs of wear, they'll take them back.

tbabes

All of the AE seconds that I've seen have had VERY noticeable defects, to include the ones that I've unfortunately purchased (sight unseen) from AE ebay and STP. Never again!

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
All of the AE seconds that I've seen have had VERY noticeable defects, to include the ones that I've unfortunately purchased (sight unseen) from AE ebay and STP. Never again!
I guess I must be the luckiest man in the world when it comes to buying A-E seconds--now if I could just have the same luck with the lottery!

I must admit I've been mightily un-lucky as well because the one pair of AE I purchased (admittedly on Ebay) has now proven so defective that I don't know whether they can be fixed : a seam has started to unravel and the shoe repair shop isn't sure they can fix it. Has anyone experienced that? can AE recrafting fix it?

sia

VP AAAC Corporate Benefits
That is too bad. I guess I've had much better luck than you as I've purchased a number of seconds and have never been able to identify why any of them are seconds. What kinds of defects have you found?

sia

VP AAAC Corporate Benefits
I must admit I've been mightily un-lucky as well because the one pair of AE I purchased (admittedly on Ebay) has now proven so defective that I don't know whether they can be fixed : a seam has started to unravel and the shoe repair shop isn't sure they can fix it. Has anyone experienced that? can AE recrafting fix it?
Give them a call (from their website):

Recrafting Customer Service:
To inquire about our signature Recrafting
service or to check the status of your recraft
order.
Hours: M-F 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST)
Call toll-free: 1.877.495.5564
International: 1.262.235.6390
[email protected]

tbabes

That is too bad. I guess I've had much better luck than you as I've purchased a number of seconds and have never been able to identify why any of them are seconds. What kinds of defects have you found?
Maybe I have been unlucky, but I wonder if you're looking hard enough? The most common fault I've found is that they have been "lop-sided" in that with the bluchers, the leather pieces with the lace-holes don't line up propperly; i.e. one side or the other is off. Annoys the hell out of me, but I guess it's not too noticeable unless you're looking for it. I have four pair, all bought brand new (3 from STP and 1 from AE on eBay) that are hideously afflicted with this plight, and are gathering dust in the closet in a guest bedroom. Goodwill can hopefully find them a propper home. I will never ever ever buy another pair of AE without seeing them in person, be they 1sts or 2nds!

HolyBull

pasting from another post i just made

Went to the factory store at Desert Hills Outlet today and picked up two pairs of seconds, a black Park Avenue (195.00) and a chestnut Fairfax (129.00) that's also been discontinued.

I can't find anything wrong with the Park Avenue, except for a small shallow divot on the bottom outsole near the heel, next to the "Allen Edmonds" stamp.

The only thing I can find on the Fairfax is a blemish on the inside of the rear quarter that will later pass for wear.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

bigCat

Honors Member
I can't find anything wrong with the Park Avenue, except for a small shallow divot on the bottom outsole near the heel, next to the "Allen Edmonds" stamp.
If this divot is in the shape of a shoe, it's AE marking for a second quality shoe, and not what made the shoe second in the first place. All AE seconds should be marked as such.

guitone

Elite Member
Maybe I have been unlucky, but I wonder if you're looking hard enough? The most common fault I've found is that they have been "lop-sided" in that with the bluchers, the leather pieces with the lace-holes don't line up propperly; i.e. one side or the other is off. Annoys the hell out of me, but I guess it's not too noticeable unless you're looking for it. I have four pair, all bought brand new (3 from STP and 1 from AE on eBay) that are hideously afflicted with this plight, and are gathering dust in the closet in a guest bedroom. Goodwill can hopefully find them a propper home. I will never ever ever buy another pair of AE without seeing them in person, be they 1sts or 2nds!
This is my one pet peeve with seconds and I have sent a number back for this. I try to explain to the salesperson what I don't want, it is ok if they have the shoe in front of them, but if they have to call another store you just do not know, so be willing to find a store that can put the shoe in front of them, ask them to put the laces in and look at the shoe. Do not fall for the line, "once you have it on your foot it will straighten out", as it hardly ever does. If it looks crooked off your foot it will look that way on it. I must be doing OK, I have found many that are prefect or close enough to not bother me, but it has been hard at times and some shoes I have had to send back..not an issue on bals that can tell.

pras

Starting Member
This thread hasn't seen any comments in a while. What have people's recent experience with buying from the shoebank/outlet been?

Spex

I bought a pair of Parkways about 6 months ago. The leather was ever so slightly wrinkled on the instep of one shoe, but otherwise were in great shape. No complaints here.

Vincent3

The only defect I noticed on the Black Hills I recently bought was a slight line about 2 inches long in the leather at the top of the shoe. It's not even an indentation, but an imperfection in the finish. I notice it only when light is striking the shoe at a certain angle, and I had to look at it for a minute to be sure I was seeing it accurately. It's inconsequential. I probably wouldn't pay full price if I found the line, but wouldn't think less of AE for the slip up.

MarkY

I ordered a pair of walnut Strand from Port Washington this morning. They have a $50 off the first pair, $100 off the second sale going on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange