eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
C&J Malvern III -

(Though think this particular model would look better without the heavy toe patina.)

View attachment 46992
While I completely agree with your assessment, would the toe patina look any better if they had contoured it to match the contours of the wing tips on the shoes? The way it stands now, the shoes look like a captoed wing tip, a"Frankenstenian" creation, for sure. :icon_scratch:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
While I completely agree with your assessment, would the toe patina look any better if they had contoured it to match the contours of the wing tips on the shoes? The way it stands now, the shoes look like a captoed wing tip, a"Frankenstenian" creation, for sure. :icon_scratch:
Yes, pretty much. I don't object to a darker patina on the toes (Such as our Cheaneys in mahogany hides.) but here it works at odds with the design of the shoe. The combination of hides is low contrast, presumably to offer a more subtle spectator, and the much darker toes spoil the effect.

Last edited:

StephenRG

Honors Member
C&J Maitland, AKA The Eagle Special -
FWIW when I was chatting to Justin FitzPatrick last week I was ribbing him over his huge change of heart concerning Chelsea boots - he used to hate them and now they're almost his favourite style. It turns out that he'd just been exposed to the clunky type. But when he saw how elegant they could be, he did a complete 180. These boots are a splendid example of the dressiness of the right design.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
FWIW when I was chatting to Justin FitzPatrick last week I was ribbing him over his huge change of heart concerning Chelsea boots - he used to hate them and now they're almost his favourite style. It turns out that he'd just been exposed to the clunky type. But when he saw how elegant they could be, he did a complete 180. These boots are a splendid example of the dressiness of the right design.
I share both your and his opinion concerning their potential for elegance. But purely resulting from a '70's hangover, the style, irrespective of how attractively rendered, will always remain for me redolent of that dreadful decade. 🤢

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.