Amazing non-Japanese shoes

Flanderian

Connoisseur
The waters of the Blue Nile naturally colour their hides so no further treatment is required. :)

WhisperedSeparateFrogmouth-size_restricted.gif

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I tend to wear different styles of clothing for the warmer seasons than the colder seasons. And that is true of footwear. The heavier built footwear I have is usually reserved for fall and winter, whereas I'm more likely to reach for a pair of more lightly built loafers, or suede bucks in summer.

And these are summer shoes in my book, that I'd likely find inappropriate for winter. Lightly built sleek Belgian loafers of Blake construction, unlined suede with smooth leather trim and rubber and leather soles. Made in Spain by Berwick and just the right summer shade of ocean blue.

Berwick.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Depending upon how one elects to define a pair of shoes as amazing, I so define these if the term is intended to connote exceptional , beautifully made and highly desirable.

Scan0158b.jpg

I discovered them as part of the total ensemble above, and IMHO they are one item that both pulls together and highlights each individual piece of the composition. One which I find among the most appealing, possibly excepting the leather outer jacket.

The shoes are Edward Green's Sandringham model. And IMHO they make one of the most appealing blucher/derby spectators I have seen. EG offers this model on several lasts. This is the 202 last, one of their most traditional, and is what I prefer. The contrast leather is an almond grain with darker smooth leather for the rest of the shoe, though the detail isn't that easy to see in this photo.

The photo below is of the same model and last, but this with different hides and colors using suede rather than grain as the accent hide. But it affords much more detail of the effect of this model made up as a spectator. I think it makes an exquisite but discreet spectator, though I'd elect hides more similar in appearance to the top photo.

EGSandringham202last.jpg

EG's have risen in price to what I consider stratospheric levels, certainly beyond my means, but they have no difficulty selling all they make, and are highly respected among the most knowledgeable of makers and purchasers.

In searching for photos to illustrate my points I came across Leffot's offerings, a NYC retailer. And for any who don't mind paying a price beginning to above $1.5K, they offer MTO on this model in a broad variety of smooth and suede leather, but I don't believe grain. I would hope the might accommodate the wish to have it made as a spectator as above.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Gill shoes from Meccariello. Hide from Babe the Blue Ox.

View attachment 61013

Thank you for a bit of knowledge that has eluded my search efforts for quite some time. I've long wondered what they called mock lace up shoe designs with the elastic gores in the side of the throat. Gill shoes; how appropriate, for sure! Thank you, my friend, for scratching that itch. ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Thank you for a bit of knowledge that has eluded my search efforts for quite some time. I've long wondered what they called mock lace up shoe designs with the elastic gores in the side of the throat. Gill shoes; how appropriate, for sure! Thank you, my friend, for scratching that itch. ;)

Quite welcome! But I'm afraid I'm an unreliable source, as that's simply a term I've chosen to apply to them. :( The slightly comical nature of the moniker amused me, and seems apt to their obvious similarity to such an anatomical structure.

However, you never know! :rolleyes: When they USPS introduced self-adhesive postage stamps in lieu of the old fashioned version requiring licking (BLEH! 🤢) I began referring to them as sticky stamps and eventually noted others doing the same.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
OK, I'm uncertain whether these shoes belong here, or in the Japanese shoe thread. They're from Yeossaal in Singapore and sold as their "Custom Handgrade Shoes." Yeossal also sells RTW shoes made by Oriental brand which are a Japanese brand, but I don't know if they also make these, or if they're made elsewhere.

In either case, I love 'em. And unless I'm mistaken they might be something which appeals to our esteemed Eagle too.

Edit: Just realized that one of the things that appeals to me is that the last shape is very similar to English bespoke from the early 20th century.

yeossal-16268820180841_4b915c71-5610-4e70-b933-379bd777daa4.jpg

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
OK, I'm uncertain whether these shoes belong here, or in the Japanese shoe thread. They're from They're from Yeossaal in Singapore and sold as their "Custom Handgrade Shoes." Yeossal also sells RTW shoes made by Oriental brand which are a Japanese brand, but I don't know if they also make these, or if they're made elsewhere.

In either case, I love 'em. And unless I'm mistaken they might be something which appeals to our esteemed Eagle too.

Edit: Just realized that one of the things that appeals to me is that the last shape is very similar to English bespoke from the early 20th century.

View attachment 61861

My friend, you know me so well...grained leathers are a favorite of mine and the design of those shoes is memorably handsome...an almost irresistible combination! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
OK, I'm uncertain whether these shoes belong here, or in the Japanese shoe thread. They're from Yeossaal in Singapore and sold as their "Custom Handgrade Shoes." Yeossal also sells RTW shoes made by Oriental brand which are a Japanese brand, but I don't know if they also make these, or if they're made elsewhere.

View attachment 61861
My friend, you know me so well...grained leathers are a favorite of mine and the design of those shoes is memorably handsome...an almost irresistible combination! ;)

I share your fondness for grained leather. And it looks particularly good on that model, IMHO, which incidentally is available in a number of hides as it's MTO. And were my circumstances different, I might well be currently trying to rationalize an excuse for a purchase. :D

The English bespoke shoe that came to mind is one made by Henry Maxwell in the early 20th Century. Quite similar proportions though the Maxwell shoe's toe is a little blunter and rounder.

tumblr_nk4pvlW6gn1u7q9pjo1_1280.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange