Io-G-L-043-Duke-Kahanamoku-Fred-Hemmings-Jr.jpg

Surfers Duke Kahanamoku and Fred Hemmings
7934801916_3e14c447c8_b.jpg

State Senator Hemmings ca. 2016 and 2009
Fred-Hemmings-On-Whether-Nuclear-Energy-Can-Work-in-Hawaii.jpg

images

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
This gentleman is looking natty, although personally if I am going to roll up my cuffs I will typically go ahead and unbutton the top button. View attachment 58580

Perhaps he's trying to conceal that heavy mat of chest hair? Looking at his hands, he has obviously been doing what my Mama used to tell me never to do, or hair would grow on my hands! LOL. ;)

drpeter

If I am not mistaken, the woman in the photograph is Elizabeth Hardwick, a novelist and critic herself, and Lowell's wife for a time. They had a stormy relationship, or so I have read. Lowell's bouts with manic-depressive disorder (bipolar illness, these days) also created many problems in his personal relationships. He did produce some fine poetry, however.

I am often reminded of a phrase at the end of Thomas Mann's fine short story Tonio Kröger:
"... the tragedy and the comedy of life". This novella and its companion Death in Venice (made into a marvellous film by Luchino Visconti, with Dirk Bogarde playing Aschenbach), are both attempts to understand the artist's life, which is not an easy task, as Lowell's own life suggests.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
That's an action shot of an OCBD collar rolling. Mr. Lowell dresses the way 90+% of the guys over 40 dressed when I started on Wall St. in the '80s.
Much has changed. I was listening to a finance podcast a few weeks back and the hosts took some cheap shots at men wearing contrast collar shirts and Gucci loafers and implied no one dresses like that anymore, haha

AldenPyle

Honors Member
Looks like camel hair.
Indeed. If you click on the pic, its pretty clear. At the point when I realized I had to stop buying sports coats, a tan camel hair blazer was at the top of my list. I think it must remain there, alas. When someone is in the news, a fresh group of high res pics is likely to appear on the internet including that tasty jacket. Of course, these pictures may sometimes court controversy. Probably best to keep commentary anodyne as possible.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange