Brideshead

quote:Originally posted by Russell Street

Dear Brideshead,

My Trad Army needs you!

The plan is to march on Savile Row and catch them while they are busy pleating & darting away down there.
I'm going to bring them some old Brooks & Press catalogues to look at.
All we'll do is 're-educate' them.
First London, then we'll have a pop at Paris & Rome.

Russell
Dear Russell
I am honoured, but not really sure that I qualify for Trad's Army. When growing up in the late 60s/early 70s the Ivy Shop had a great and lasting influence on me and my chums - we would save up our pennies and make the long journey from Essex to Richmond on Saturdays.

But, as my forum name hints, I am not really a Trad. My main point of reference is really that elegant style that runs throughout Granada TV's superb adaptation of the great book. Perhaps best described as an 80s take on the England of the 20s and 30s! That must surely disqualify me from your planned venture into Savile Row:D

Harris

Advanced Member
quote:Originally posted by Doctor Damage

More Elliot Richardson, the Nixon years. First with Tricky Dick in happier days...then with Archie Cox...a couple close-ups...finally, a new president.

DocD

I'm pleased to see Richardson is reeiving attention: trad not only in dress, but attitude, persaonlity, and/or persona. Quiet, steady composure personified. A relaxed ennui that's not been matched by many in public service. As one hears and sees the likes of Joe Biden and that old senator from West Virgnia named Byrd, one is inspired to ask: Where have you gone, Elliot Richardson? The loud, self-promoting blow-hards seem to be ruling the floor.

Alas, Richardson went back to Boston.

God save the Brahmins. And give us more of them.

Cheers,
Harris

WisBadger77

I guess Elliott Richardson and similar men went the same place that men such as Sargent Shriver, Bill Proxmire, and Scoop Jackson went.

I think Jerry Ford was the last president to wear a 3 piece suit. Too bad.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
George Plimpton, journalist and writer. Everyone's already seen the first photo, but the others are quite interesting.

Plimpton in his home office...

mpcsb

Inactive User
Doc,
I was looking at pics of Plimpton only yesterday, also Truman Capote. Tru was uber-southern-trad until he went bad after that "In Cold Blood" book.

Note below, no socks, loafers, cuffed khakis, taken about the time of Breakfast at Tiffanys. Cheers

Allthingstrad

Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Fred Barnes and Yours Truly--two great American Trads.

"Since it's a traditional, preppy look it's best if balanced by a relatively small four-in-hand knot." He sips his martini, recrossing his legs. "Next question?"

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Two wonderful photos of Tucker Carlson with some other talking heads. Is it just me, or does he look ten times better than any of the other guests? And better than Larry King, but that's not too hard!

I am particularly fascinated by the peach shirt TC is wearing in this photo.

DocD

daltx

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Doctor Damage,

Great thread and pics throughout it. The shirt that you like on Tucker is pictured more closely in a thread I started yesterday called "Recognize this bow tie?" It may be just a basic pink shirt. I think our pictures come from the same night at the Democratic convention this year. Hope this helps.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.