Americans Straying in Known Dangerous Countries,....

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I believe anyone can make a honest mistake and stray into a foreign country.

That being said it's my belief that some of these people find it exciting to go right up to the border of countries that are known to be dangerous places.

Did anyone see the video that was played right after Sarah Shourd and her two companions were picked up by the Iranians? You know, the one where they were "Dancing like Egyptians" while they were in a stone hut right on the Iranian border. (such a group of daring 30 year olds! :icon_smile_wink:)

Well I think the Swiss, who represent U.S. interests in Iran, should have played that video every single time they went to visit the three of them in the Iranian prision where they were being held.

I have noticed that the media isn't playing that video now are they? (Rhetorical question):icon_pale:

And after all they put the U.S. State Department through, not to mention the heart ache they put their families through, Ms. Shourd was flown out of Iran on a Leer Jet,....

How about the case last year of the American reporters who were warned not to go up to the North Korean border.

I'm sick of hearing about people who have been raised in the relative privledge of a North American upbringing finding out that there are places on this earth that don't think these kinds of actions are daring or funny.

I'm happy that all have since been released but they all should have to pay back the U.S. government for the cost of securing their release.

None of them are heros they're just plain dumb,...

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
+1. And you express it well. But I'm not sure about your first line...

I believe anyone can make a honest mistake and stray into a foreign country.

Really? I've done a lot of straying in my time because I'm easily confused, but straying into a foreign country, ah, don't think so.

harvey_birdman

Really? I've done a lot of straying in my time because I'm easily confused, but straying into a foreign country, ah, don't think so.

Once while driving back from college I did accidentally cross the Mason-Dixon line. Let me assure you, I won't be making that mistake again.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
We're glad to hear it.

I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! She spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! She burns! She'll come! She'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!

Morons who sail around the world unprepared deserve the same!!

Last edited:

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Agree!

Well put 127.72 MHz

And likewise WouldaShoulda

"Morons who sail around the world unprepared deserve the same!!"

This might also go, by the look of your Avatar, for those who take
"... a three hour tour,
A three hour tour...."

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Those who voluntarily twist the tiger's tail, should expect to feel his teeth. Why are we as a Nation, so quick to rush in and pull such fool's cookies from the fire(!)? Should a few be allowed to suffer their consequences, others would be less inclined to repeat their experience! ;)

dks202

Those who voluntarily twist the tiger's tail, should expect to feel his teeth. Why are we as a Nation, so quick to rush in and pull such fool's cookies from the fire(!)? Should a few be allowed to suffer their consequences, others would be less inclined to repeat their experience! ;)

Who the Sam Hill goes hiking on the border of Iran!!!??? I think they had an agenda and they knew what they were getting into.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Who the Sam Hill goes hiking on the border of Iran!!!??? I think they had an agenda and they knew what they were getting into.

Am responding only so I can comment on your use of who the Sam Hill, a phrase I've only heard once before, c. '55, when my great and beautiful Aunt Jenny used it. Didn't understand it then, don't now. But thanks for the memories.

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I believe that we need a national conversation. (not that I believe for one second that it will happen knowing that we now live in a society where personal responsibility is almost unknown)

I'm old enough to remember some very effective T.V. ads that were shown to warn and highly dicourage young people from going to foreign countries and using illegal drugs. As I recall they were filmed in black and white and an eastern block style prison was shown. They played the sound of a large steel door slamming and then the commentator said, "If you get cought for drugs over there you're in for the hassle of your life."

phyrpowr

Honors Member
The U.S seems full of people, and not just young ones, who have never been in any sort of dangerous neighborhood or situation. They take warnings as just "the propaganda of old repressed (probably white) men". And they apparently believe that they can talktalktalk in a caring sharing open loving etc. manner and will just be let go, probably with a bouquet or two. After all, the Iranian authorities, North Korean army, etc. are "human beings just like us"....aren't they?

And no matter what the State Dept. might want to not do, people like that have families, who have Congressmen, who want to get on TV, and who vote on State's budget.

Chouan

Honors Member
It is also caused by the most profound ignorance of the rest of the world; a complete lack of comprehension that other countries might be different to the community in which one lives.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
It is also caused by the most profound ignorance of the rest of the world; a complete lack of comprehension that other countries might be different to the community in which one lives.

This is universal, Chouan. I've taken a number of tours with Aussies, English, French, etc. who just cannot believe! that US groceries don't stock Vegemite, Grunting-on-Potty marmalade, etc., or that we don't wear some item of Euro clothing. But that's innocent enough: when you have people old enough to know better just blithely waltzing around dangerous frontiers( and non-US folks have been kidnapped in these countries too) you have to wonder about the "intellectual age" of the so-called adults who were responsible for their education

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
"You have to wonder about the "intellectual age" of the so-called adults who were responsible for their education."

This is spot on!

I further believe that the United States saw it's zenith from about 1965-1970. Since that time we have continued a downward slide in every measureable statistic. (K-12 education being the most profound)

Over the past 35 years we have created a vast class of under educated people who know little to nothing of the world around them let alone of sacrafice and hard work to achieve one's goals. Sarah Shourd and her cohorts are examples of whom I speak.

Last edited:

harvey_birdman

"You have to wonder about the "intellectual age" of the so-called adults who were responsible for their education."

This is spot on!

I further believe that the United States saw it's zenith from about 1965-1970. Since that time we have continued a downward slide in every measureable statistic. (K-12 education being the most profound)

Over the past 35 years we have created a vast class of under educated people who know little to nothing of the world around them let alone of sacrafice and hard work to achieve one's goals. Sarah Shourd and her cohorts are examples of whom I speak.

It's not necessary to get generational about this. There have ALWAYS been idiots around. The difference is twofold:

1. The population of the US '65-70 was about 200 million. There are over 300 million people here now. That means proportionally there are 50% more idiots than there used to be.
2. The instantaneous and national nature of our news cycle allows the idiotic actions of a few to be broadcast to everyone.

Combined together, it might appear that there are more idiots than there used to be, but it's an illusion. The same percentage of people are just as stupid as they've always been.

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
^^ Well I agree and disagree harvey.

I am incomplete agreement in that there have always been, and always will be, idiots around. Following your premise that should mean that proportionally there are no more or less than there used to be.

I disagree in that I believe that it is, at least somewhat, generational. And it has to do with the overall dumbing down of our populace as a whole. (Again my opinion) And I believe there are more idiots, proportionally, for lack of education then there used to be.

What's not necessary is for you to be sensitive seeing as how your reply shows your ability think critically and express yourself. Critical thought being number one in my book for the sign of an educated individual.

Post script, I can't take credit for the quote "You have to wonder about the "intellectual age" of the so-called adults who were responsible for their education."
I was quoting "phypowr" although I do agree with his quote.

Last edited:

Douglas Brisbane Gray

Active Member with Corp. Privileges

I did it, I accidentally crossed from the German Alps into the Austrian Alps, in my defence, mountains all look the same when they are covered in snow and our officer had the map.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.