Americans Straying in Known Dangerous Countries,....

young guy

Once while driving back from college I did accidentally cross the Mason-Dixon line. Let me assure you, I won't be making that mistake again.

Hurrah! Hurrah! we bring the jubilee![4]
Hurrah! Hurrah! the flag that makes you free!
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea
While we were marching through Georgia.

yeah, we crossed it on purpose!

Chouan

Honors Member
This is universal, Chouan. I've taken a number of tours with Aussies, English, French, etc. who just cannot believe! that US groceries don't stock Vegemite, Grunting-on-Potty marmalade, etc., or that we don't wear some item of Euro clothing. But that's innocent enough: when you have people old enough to know better just blithely waltzing around dangerous frontiers( and non-US folks have been kidnapped in these countries too) you have to wonder about the "intellectual age" of the so-called adults who were responsible for their education

I quite agree, I wasn't suggesting that that kind of ignorance is restricted to Americans. I had to convince one of my 18 year old female students that hitch-hiking around South America, by herself, may notr be a good idea. She couldn't see why I thought it a bad idea.

DCLawyer68

I quite agree, I wasn't suggesting that that kind of ignorance is restricted to Americans. I had to convince one of my 18 year old female students that hitch-hiking around South America, by herself, may notr be a good idea. She couldn't see why I thought it a bad idea.

The niavate of the young and sheltered who think that notions of danger and bad people are just inventions thought up to keep people from discovering how truly wonderful everyone is, that our enemies are just misunderstood as a result of the propaganda of the military industrial complex.

I listend to some out of town friends talking about a restauarant that served food from countries with bad reps, e.g. Iran, etc. The huband mentioned this and his wife expressed her delight in how progressive it all was.

I am so proud that I was able to interalize my own views for hospitality's sake.

Wildblue

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Yeahhh... I don't get it. Why in the world, if you want to go "backpacking" somewhere, would you choose the eastern Iraq border last year? And oh, wow... you got lost and were arrested by Iranians? Well how was I supposed to know that big bad Iran was there?

Geez... next Christmas, Ms. Shourd will say that she wants to go Christmas caroling in Pyongyang.

Idiot.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Yeahhh... I don't get it. Why in the world, if you want to go "backpacking" somewhere, would you choose the eastern Iraq border last year? And oh, wow... you got lost and were arrested by Iranians? Well how was I supposed to know that big bad Iran was there?

Geez... next Christmas, Ms. Shourd will say that she wants to go Christmas caroling in Pyongyang.

Idiot.

Wildblue, I won't go into it at length here, but there are so many people below, say, 50, who've been able to talktalktalktalk/whinewhinewhinewhine long enough that parents, teachers, etc. have just gone "Okay" and let them off that they think it works with, e.g., border guards and security police. For all I know, they thought that they could drop the big bomb, "Daddy's lawyer", and just walk right out.

It's sort of like people who decide to ride out hurricanes on the coast: it'll probably be all right, but....it sure ain't the brightest idea anyone ever had

Last edited:

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
^^ In complete agreenment with you Phyrpowr and Wildblue.
But to me the larger issue has nothing to do with the pure stupidity of Sarah Shourd. (even though I don't think enough can be said about just how stupid Ms. Shourd and her moron friends are!)

The larger issue to me is a media and a society at large that refuses to hold half wits like Sarah Shourd accountable. I'm not talking about prision time. Although I do believe that Ms. Shourd and her knuckle head friends should have to pay back every cent for the time and effort to secure their release.

And they all should have to do public service ads going into depth about how stupid they were while the video they made "Walking like Egyptians" inside a stone hut on the Irianian border plays in the background.

While being flown out of the country in a unmarked Leer Jet Ms. Shourd should have been shunned by the entire crew and been made to watch that ignorant video they made,....

Chouan

Honors Member
The other people who should be facing punitive bills for being rescued are those irresponsible idiots the single-handed yacht people.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.