Flanderian

Connoisseur
Really cool CG animation of ancient room based on archeology and historical fact. Beautiful, actually.

Was shocked to find the city full of handsome, beautifully finished masonry and vivid colors. Very different from what can be found today, but I should have known the havoc 2 millennia of environmental damage, war and general depredation would have created compared to the original which looks both beautiful and civilized.

ancient-rome.jpg

Courtesy of -

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
One thing that came as a surprise when Oplantis was excavated was that in their wall frescos the Romans understood perspective. There was so much in the Classical world that we have needed nearly 2000 years to recover.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
One thing that came as a surprise when Oplantis was excavated was that in their wall frescos the Romans understood perspective. There was so much in the Classical world that we have needed nearly 2000 years to recover.
People are no smarter now than they were 2,000 years ago. And sometimes I wonder whether we are evolving, or devolving!

While I enjoy many of the facets of modern technology, Luddite that I am, I sometimes wonder if a business could be made out of recovering lost ancient technologies, and turning them to modern applications. Academia is no more immune to hubris than other fields of human endeavor. (And sometimes I think even less so! ;))

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
People are no smarter now than they were 2,000 years ago. And sometimes I wonder whether we are evolving, or devolving!

While I enjoy many of the facets of modern technology, Luddite that I am, I sometimes wonder if a business could be made out of recovering lost ancient technologies, and turning them to modern applications. Academia is no more immune to hubris than other fields of human endeavor. (And sometimes I think even less so! ;))
In terms of human interrelationships, I'm pretty certain we are devolving...rapidly! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Glad you enjoyed it! 😀

I particularly enjoyed the Colosseum being depicted with its retractable shades. This is a feature confirmed via archeological research.
Agreed - that made it feel very real. It was a "hey, these people got hot sitting in the stands on a sunny day just like we do" connect.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange