Fading Fast

Connoisseur
"Winding your clock each morning. Indeed, it is our personal rituals that bring consistency and structure to our days...all part of setting the foundation for the days 'bug show!' Excellent. Do you have an age for your Big Ben? ;)
Agree completely - I wind it, two watches and, then, start the work day.

When I bought it, the guy said it was "circa '30s," and, my casual web search (back then), seemed to confirm it.

There are a lot, a real lot, of them out there, so with a little effort, you can easily find one if you want.

Big T

I'm somewhat surprised to see the delicate architecture of the thing....a bit of a pencil d***, it would seem. Having spent some time in my teens on a dairy farm, I have milked more than a few cows manually, but frankly have no experience with the bulls. So who am I to judge? Shocked, perhaps, but not judgemental LOL ;)
I did a summer at a Mennonite working farm, for predelinquents. Stone Mountain Village, about 25 miles south of University Park on Rt. 26. Thrown right into supposing to know a bit about farming!

Back to the OP, I "accummulate" things, an eclectic mix, without rhyme or reason, ranging from vintage handtools (hundreds of plumb bobs!), Civil War artifacts, veteran memoribilia, firearms, etc. My prized possession? A US Mint experimental engraving of Lincoln, for the five dollar bill. It resides at the DuBois, PA historical society, with many other of my "acquisitions".

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I did a summer at a Mennonite working farm, for predelinquents. Stone Mountain Village, about 25 miles south of University Park on Rt. 26. Thrown right into supposing to know a bit about farming!

Back to the OP, I "accummulate" things, an eclectic mix, without rhyme or reason, ranging from vintage handtools (hundreds of plumb bobs!), Civil War artifacts, veteran memoribilia, firearms, etc. My prized possession? A US Mint experimental engraving of Lincoln, for the five dollar bill. It resides at the DuBois, PA historical society, with many other of my "acquisitions".
Very interesting. I tend to collect things I have never seen before vs. the standard fare. Keeps things fresh.

Cheers,

BSR

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I was extremely excited to hear from Sotheby’s this week that the authenticity of my previously mentioned Franz Liszt piece has been confirmed and that it will be on offer at their June 2020 auction of musical items. Having an item on offer at Sotheby’s is the high water mark of my collecting life thus far.

The short musical notation on the item was described as “ a virtuoso flourish on a chromatic arpeggio, outlining a diminished seventh, rather than a quotation from a particular composition.” So, in essence, a very short original composition as opposed to a snippet from a previously published piece.

I am making plans to personally attend the sale as I will be in the UK for my coast to coast walk around the same time period. I am thinking of channeling my inner Prince Michael and breaking out the old double breasted navy blazer for the event.

Cheers,

BSR

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Expanding the family silver collection...a Towle Old Lace bon-bon spoon purchased from a local silver shop yesterday.

Sterling silver cutlery has fallen out of fashion with the under 45 crowd. I consider it useful at the table as well as a small hedge investment against the collapse of the world economy.

Scrap sterling value is currently $17 an ounce.

Cheers,

BSR

B0A2CE81-EB1D-4DA2-A469-2C064494280F.jpeg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Expanding the family silver collection...a Towle Old Lace bon-bon spoon purchased from a local silver shop yesterday.

Sterling silver cutlery has fallen out of fashion with the under 45 crowd. I consider it useful at the table as well as a small hedge investment against the collapse of the world economy.

Scrap sterling value is currently $17 an ounce.

Cheers,

BSR

View attachment 37777
Precious metals are certainly one of the more enjoyable and arguably in this case, more useful forms of investing. ;)

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I enjoy collecting all types of vintage items as a small act of rebellion against the constant “improvement” in consumer items that seemed to work just fine as they were.

The big trend in my area is to invest hundreds of dollars in Yeti brand coolers. I don’t get it.

Here is a 2 quart Aladdin Stanley thermos, made in USA in 1977, that I picked up at an estate sale for $20. It works great and has a very cool retro vibe. I am looking to compliment it with a vintage Coleman steel camping cooler in the near future.

Cheers,

BSR

CACB2855-B374-4B22-8EB0-38FC089014B1.jpeg
C48D952F-460E-4DE3-9976-C5971E23199D.jpeg
916849ED-7CF6-4364-B593-D4C6CA31D961.jpeg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I enjoy collecting all types of vintage items as a small act of rebellion against the constant “improvement” in consumer items that seemed to work just fine as they were.

The big trend in my area is to invest hundreds of dollars in Yeti brand coolers. I don’t get it.

Here is a 2 quart Aladdin Stanley thermos, made in USA in 1977, that I picked up at an estate sale for $20. It works great and has a very cool retro vibe. I am looking to compliment it with a vintage Coleman steel camping cooler in the near future.

Cheers,

BSR

View attachment 38027 View attachment 38028 View attachment 38029
Your estate sale find resurrected a fond memory for me. While assigned with the 351st Strategic Missile Wing at Whiteman AFB, I worked with the Missouri Board of Probation and Parole on a master's thesis addressing the role of volunteers in the community corrections process. After completing the thesis and my degree requirements, I continued to work with the Warrensburg, MO office of the Board of Probation and Parole as a volunteer for the remaining 2+ years of my assignment at Whiteman AFB. When the USAF reassigned me, the Warrensburg office threw a farewell party for me and gifted me with a Stanley Thermos, virtually identical to the one you describe and picture, but alas, there was no carrying case! I think I may still have that thermos hidden away somewhere in the nest. Thanks for the memories. ;)

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
It is a funny thing.

My friends spend hundreds buying the latest “must have” trendy outdoor item. Everyone has the same things, purchased at the same ridiculous prices.

As an iconoclast who instinctively sails against the prevailing wind in this regard, I am always seeking very cool vintage items that perform similar function as the “latest thing”. These vintage pieces perform well while achieving a singular look. My buying retro sets me apart and takes some air from the balloons of those who spend hundreds more than I.

Of course, if I were to set up a hard core camping expedition where comfort and survival were key, I would invest in the best that modern technology can provide. But tailgating on a Saturday does not have this high survival standard. Having some fun while setting oneself apart from the crowd is where I find my bliss.

Cheers,

BSR

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Since my return to the US, I have set up a small antique/curio business for fun. I frequent local estate sales searching for unusual decorative objects as well as vintage men’s clothing items. Some I keep, some I unload on eBay. Unfortunately, I keep far too much and list far too little. I am working on establishing a better balance.

I have been a collector for many years and I think it would be interesting to see what members of AAAC might have on their mantles or stashed away in a steamer trunk in their attics.

Here is my most recent major find. A 1845 lithograph of Franz Liszt with a musical notation and signature by the composer. Sotheby’s has offered to list it for me at their spring books and manuscripts auction in London

Cheers,

BSR

View attachment 35735 View attachment 35736 View attachment 35737 View attachment 35738
The auction date at Sotheby’s is confirmed for June 9.

Join me for a post auction drink at the Rivoli Bar just down the street. Quality of drinks will be determined by final sale price. Quantity will not be impacted....

Cheers,

BSR

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.