Any American Trad/ Tradish stores in Toronto?

sunnisalafi

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm planning on visiting Toronto with my wife in a couple of months, and was wondering if there were any Trad (or Tradish) shops up there.
Anybody know?

Also....On my way up from OH I'll definately make a stop at O'Connell's, and I'll give the AAAC crew an in depth report complete with pictures.

Thanks in advance.

ice

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Trad is not, and has never been, a Toronto style. Historically Toronto looked to England, and later to the continent, for style. The only place I every saw it was at the University of Toronto, and the men wearing it were generally ivy league grads. I remember at my college there were running jokes in the college paper about the proper direction of stripes on ties, with the Oxford grad Dean on one side and the Harvard grad Philosophy department head on the other.

But have a look at Stollery's on Yonge and Bloor, it might fit the bill.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
1. Yeah, Stollery's is about as close as it gets, since they have a full range of seersucker suits and madras sportcoats (at good prices). But everything is darted, so it's not 'pure' Trad. And you can't even get Aldens in Toronto for love or money.

2. Take a glance through Harry Rosen's, although this is not Trad either. Some AAAC members find good deals on certain brands there, compared to NYC.

3. If you want a souvenir item then you might check out Hudson's Bay coats/mackinaws made of the old point blankets -- you know, white with coloured stripes -- which are Canadian Trad (but totally unconnected with American Trad). I guarantee you will be the only person wearing one at home, but the colours will demand real confidence to pull off.

4. Others here will hopefully post with a short list of 'places to go' in Toronto. Do you like lots of 'ethnic' food? You can get anything you want on The Danforth, or in Chinatown. Toronto has every possibility covered. If money is no object then check out "Lee" or "SooSur" (they are next door to each other) on King Street West.

5. For drinking my first thought is "The Swamp", actually the Duke of Something or other, which was/is the traditional watering hole for the Bay Street financial crowd. I mostly do my drinking at a buddy's place though, so others will have to recommend good bars.

DD

PS: You may want to stop at O'Connells on your way back home, as the Canada border customs people can be merciless sh*ts if they don't like your looks or if they got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning; you don't want to spend several hours explaining that you're not importing goods into Canada.

kforton

Looking forward to the O'Connell's write-up. Make sure you get deep in the stacks of trousers in the back. There are some truly outrageous trousers back there.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
quote:Originally posted by kforton

Looking forward to the O'Connell's write-up. Make sure you get deep in the stacks of trousers in the back. There are some truly outrageous trousers back there.

I'm wondering if they have any 'fun' pants, such as four panels of colour.

DD

kforton

Doc, I would almost guarantee it. They have lots of older stock from a period where this kind of clothing really was THE style. I think they have som eembroidered and printed trousers that are unique to their store. For Christmas, I got a Buffalo Wings tie from them, that they specially designed with Vineyard Vines. I cherish it, as I am from Buffalo and may move back in a couple years. Then I can go to O'Connell's any damed time I want and stop bothering Ethan with all my phone calls and emails.

Horace

quote:Originally posted by Doctor Damage

quote:Originally posted by kforton

I'm wondering if they have any 'fun' pants, such as four panels of colour.

DD

Yes they have four panel cords.

As far as I know, no patch cords -- but please someone take pics if they make it up to OConnells.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.