DeltaTango

Starting Member
I am trying to make a few bucks to buy a few newer shirts and I would like to sell these..any recommendations who might purchase these (no ebay or Marketplace) . Brooks Brothers, Paul Fredrick, LLBean, LandsEnd, JA Bank, Ralph Lauren, all on hangers and were laundered w/ light starch. All nice long sleeve shirts, some casual short shelves. Most are XXL, some XL. I have about 50. Each for $10.

frosejr

I feel your pain, but my experience is that you're looking at a stack of donations there. That stuff doesn't sell on ebay, and I can't imagine where you'd get more traffic to see them than there.

triklops55

I think there is a market but probably not at $10 a pop. I would sell them as a lot on eBay or on Craigslist. The Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren would be the most desirable. You could sell those in lots of five for about $30 each lot. The others you could group and sell together for less.
There are lots of people who need shirts for work, etc. and don't want to spend retail prices or the time looking for them in thrift stores.

GregorSamsa

There is certainly a market for gently used OCBDs that are made in usa and must iron. Also if there is anything unique about them (hard to find uni stripe colors, unlined, decent collar roll), I think they may be worth listing.

If they are just your average imported and treated oxfords from these brands, I'd agree with the posts above-probably easier to just donate and make the closet room for your new shirts. There is always value in creating more closet space :).

I haunt 4 Goodwill stores in the metro Atlanta area. The market is very hot for excellent condition made in USA BB OCBD. Other makers in demand on the thrift market appear to be Sid Mashburn, Paul Stuart, and Peter Millar. These shirts
can be found at $5.99, but it requires dedicated searching on a weekly basis and combing through several hundred shirts during each visit.

As for RL, I am amazed at the volume of great condition Polo labeled shirts available from thrift stores at $5.99. I don’t collect RL, but I respect the brand. If a newbie wished to fill his closet with almost new RL OCBDs, in ATL he could easily do so for $200.

Given the quality I find on a regular basis for $5.99, I can’t see myself ever paying anything close to retail ever again.

Cheers,

BSR

Color 8

I haunt 4 Goodwill stores in the metro Atlanta area. The market is very hot for excellent condition made in USA BB OCBD. Other makers in demand on the thrift market appear to be Sid Mashburn, Paul Stuart, and Peter Millar. These shirts
can be found at $5.99, but it requires dedicated searching on a weekly basis and combing through several hundred shirts during each visit.

As for RL, I am amazed at the volume of great condition Polo labeled shirts available from thrift stores at $5.99. I don’t collect RL, but I respect the brand. If a newbie wished to fill his closet with almost new RL OCBDs, in ATL he could easily do so for $200.

Given the quality I find on a regular basis for $5.99, I can’t see myself ever paying anything close to retail ever again.

Cheers,

BSR
This exactly makes my point. $5.99 each = no market for them.

If the thrifts are selling the best, most sought-after used shirts for $5.99, they are probably paying $2 apiece for them, or getting them for free as donations.
I'd rather give them away than worry about getting $2 apiece for shirts I paid $65 - $100 for.

DeltaTango

Starting Member
Or 50¢ at Sorry Sadie's Sh***y Shirts, next to the bait shop.

...I had to laugh!! and next to the all night diner/laundromat/truck wash!

DeltaTango

Starting Member
If they are just your average imported and treated oxfords from these brands, I'd agree with the posts above-probably easier to just donate and make the closet room for your new shirts. There is always value in creating more closet space :).

Yes, the closet rod is definitely lighter now! I pulled the plug and donated all of them, along w/ suits, sport coats and slacks to a place an hour away that helps men get clothes for job interviews, and to wear @ jobs that require "dressing up". I "feel better" taking them there,...as opposed to the donation store there they take my stuff in dump it in a bin! This place appreciated that all my items were clean and on hangers!

I appreciated all the comments...it was an enjoyable "discussion" - read. My last comment, and not to sound defensive, but these were all/many "brandname", decent, clean, hardly worn shirts. Many were purchased when there was a sale of "3 for $99"... and I got two I wanted and the third was just one to round out the sale... so it was seldom worn. I had hoped to make a few bucks and apply to a new shirt, like try a Ratio, ProperCloth, Mercer & Son.. but, did not work out. Nonetheless, enjoyed the opinions and views! Thank you......

blue suede shoes

Do you have any more? In that condition and at that price I would have bought all of the Brooks and RL. I would not be interested in the other brands.

I don't go to Goodwill stores; the stores stink and the clothes they are selling are dirty.

Last edited:

MikeinGlennDale

Cheers,

BSR
shopgoodwill.com

Color 8

Good solution. I really just want to know my stuff has gone to good use, for someone else to enjoy, and isn't being used as kitchen rags at a soup kitchen or something.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange