Steve Smith

The best trad aspect of the 90s was that was the last time Brooks was still making their OCBDs the right way: with unlined collars and in a variety of colors of unistripes.
The current model made in USA Brooks Brothers OCBD has an unlined collar and was made in at least 7 different colors and 4 fits in University Stripe. They made them for at least a year and many are still available on the BB website and ebay. Interesting side note: they seem to have dropped the classic red university stripe when they changed to the new style OCBD.

TKI67

It was a tough era. The internet was so new that here in Austin shopping at O'Connell's or the like was not on most radars. Press was fine by phone, and a true Trad can easily shop by phone. All the 3/2 suits I could find in Austin that were 3/2 were often darted, and suits all seemed to have pleated pants. Those things may be well and good for some, but I got my suits and shirts then from Press. Ties were going through major changes with Hermes, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Gucci repeating prints abounding. They were beautiful but not Trad. Yet I wore them, sometimes even with solid blue or pink shirts with white collars. I actually liked that look with black Gucci bit loafers. The Trad tie offerings of madder and repp were sad, and challis just flat out disappeared. I still have not recovered from lots of the ties of the 1990s. Jerry Garcia anyone? Fortunately my supply of Alden for Brooks LHS and tassels carried me through that decade, and I always preferred tassels in No. 8 to oxfords with all suits but navy. All in all the Trad wardrobes of the 1990s were just far enough from what a real Trad, especially one forged in the northeast in the 1960s, would want that they made the segue into casual attire more palatable. At least it was still possible then to find flat front khakis, OCBDs, Shetlands, and 3/2 odd jackets, although many beloved offerings from Brooks and Press were already disappearing. I never got into the dressier office casual look which IMO made everyone look as if they had just gone crazy at a JAB sale. People called me preppy, too, but I knew my 1990s outfits would have flunked Birnbach 101.

Danny

If this was mentioned earlier in the thread I may have missed it, I tried to read through fairly quickly. Anyway, Britches and Britches Great Outdoors could be said to have had their heyday in the early 1990s. There are certain shades of purple and green that made their way into clothing in the 90s that I feel are particular to that era. I still have some Britches rugby shirts from the early 90s.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.