Are cardigans trad?

Nathan Detroit

You don't see a lot of cardigans at Press or BB (this year BB had a shawl cardigan--yecch). Are they not American trad? More British?

If anybody has an idea where one might still be picked up, let me know... Thanks!

80FJ40

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think the question provokes the commentary that (to me, anyway) "trad" (dislike the word) is more properly a genus than a species. So, within the Mr.Rogers-keds-cossack-hat-tvdinner species, I think the answer is "yes". ;):)

80FJ40

Kav

Inactive user
Polyester fused liesure suits to the right of them,duck billed 40% man made material shoes to the left of them. Into the shopping mall of horrors rode the 600.Cardigans are classic, and like the tried and true are periodically ignobly ignored and then rediscovered in bright new variations. Again, find some real nice wool yarn, a retired knitter who would be delighted to earn some walking around money doing something she loves and produce your own.

Lucky

Just this morning I ordered a camel hair shawl collared caridgan from the Andover Shop..the one pictured in the Sweaters section of their website..20% off..

MrRogers

quote:Originally posted by 80FJ40

So, within the Mr.Rogers-keds-cossack-hat-tvdinner species, I think the answer is "yes". ;):)

80FJ40

Watch it now!!!! [}:)][}:)]

MrRogers

"Give me the luxuries in life and I'll gladly go without the necessities"

Cantabrigian

Elite Member
That is a really good idea, Kav.

quote:Originally posted by Kav

Polyester fused liesure suits to the right of them,duck billed 40% man made material shoes to the left of them. Into the shopping mall of horrors rode the 600.Cardigans are classic, and like the tried and true are periodically ignobly ignored and then rediscovered in bright new variations. Again, find some real nice wool yarn, a retired knitter who would be delighted to earn some walking around money doing something she loves and produce your own.

Kav

Inactive user
I have my moments, not many, but I do[:eek:)] As for Mr Rogers, He gave our children a warm, positive and nurturing programme. I thank him and would be honoured being lumped in his company[^]

Brownshoe

quote:Originally posted by Kav

I have my moments, not many, but I do[:eek:)] As for Mr Rogers, He gave our children a warm, positive and nurturing programme. I thank him and would be honoured being lumped in his company[^]

I agree, and he was pretty tradly in general.

I have an old charcoal lambswool cardigan from LL Bean. Wear it regularly as a sitting around the house/out to the store for milk kind of item.

Looks perfectly at home with a bd oxford, cords, and weejuns.

Tomasso

Elite Member
quote:Originally posted by Nathan Detroit
BB had a shawl cardigan--yecch
I have two shawl collar cardigans, one navy and one wheat both ten-ply cashmere from Sulka. I picked them up at Sulka's last dance for $300 each(80% off). I almost got one in red too, now I wish I had. I don't know if they're trad but I know the ain't yecch.

80FJ40

Not intended as a particular knock on Mr.R, simply an observation that he hails from an out-lying zip code of traditional dress.

80FJ40

jmorgan32

Suspended
In my opinion yes, they are. I am known to be a rather trad hombre in my neck of the woods (Ohio), and I have worn a navy cardigan for years. It has the small "knot" leather buttons and of course I never forget to leave the bottom button unbuttoned. Critical success factor there. Finish it off with a white or blue ox, grey slacks and of course Alden Leisure Handsewns. Yer on yer way.

rojo

Brooks Brothers and L.L. Bean have offered cardigan sweaters for decades. In recent years the J. Press catalogue has featured a cream cardigan Aran wool sweater "knit in Ireland, exclusively for J. Press."

Isn't Sen. Ted Kennedy famously pictured on the cover of a 1969 Life magazine with a story about Chappaquiddick wearing a cream Aran cardigan?

I have two cardigan sweaters, both with leather buttons. But I have dozens of crew necks, so the cardigans are not my usual sweater.

Edit: I just remembered two other cardigans that I have, so make that four.

n/a

Like everything else, this is a matter of relativity, thus begging the question, "Compared (relative) to what?" Personally, I'd place cardigans way, way down the list of "must own" items (In fact, I don't own one). There are only a few sweater styles: crew, v-neck, sleeveless v-neck, cardigan...am I missing any? Of all these, I'll take the crew every time with the exception of the tennis sweater. There are only a few kinds of wool, eh? Shetland, cashmere, lambswool, etc. Of these, I'll prefer the shetland. As with nearly everything else, a matter of taste. Or, rather, a hierarchy of taste. --Harris

FIHTies

Inactive user
quote:Originally posted by Nathan Detroit

If anybody has an idea where one might still be picked up, let me know... Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you had in mind but:

Jonathan J. Fischer​
www.FourInHand.com
888-FIH-Ties * 888-344-8437
Specializing in Clothing for Small Men
Hand Made Ties - Marinella Ties and Alex Begg Cashmere

Mr. Knightly

I have one that was $2 at an outlet. I like it as a substitute for a jacket. It lets me wear a tie and still be casual.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

EL72

Try Banana Republic. I have a button-up like this one that is nice ( and I also LOVE my zippered cardigans (sleeveless or not) from Zegna...

tom22

Cardigans are ultra trad. Haven't a clue where you would get one today in cashmere. Maybe someplace in the Burlington arcade.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
Cardigans??? Trad??? I hope not...I just asked a friend of mine to pick me up some baby alpaca cardigans (she's going to Peru, and they can be had for alot cheaper there)...so does this mean that I'll have to wear a Brooks buttondown under them [xx(]...OH NO!!!

"When you wear lapels like the swellest of swells, you can pass any mirror and...
:D:D:Dsmile:D:D:D
...You've either got or you haven't got style!!!"​

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.