Are the rich more obsessive, or just neat?

kenz

Reading about footballer David Beckham in this morning's paper... apparently he has 'admitted' to a compulsive obsessive disorder in which he rearranges magazines, the order of drink cans in his fridge (if there are an odd number he throws one out), and exhibits numerous other traits of extreme neatness. For a prank, his team mates mess his mags up. (Jeepers, in my day you were sent out for a bucket of steam).

I am also reasonably neat, but for some reason my wife considers it a failing :) Even when I ask her; "Darling, would you rather live with someone who smells, has last year's breakfast on his dirty sweatshirt, and doesn't wash after going to the loo? Would you rather live in a tip?" For some reason the allusion escapes her.

Now, I have to admit I have never seen a messy millionaire. There seems to be a lot more structure ion their lives. But 'obsessive?... is this going too far?

I can understand why the rich are neat... it saves time, and time is money. It is also an exhibited form of self control - and this trait is essential to acquiring wealth.

But how far do we go when we label them 'neat freaks' or obsessive? To me, it's just normal behavior for driven people.

Fogey

Elite Member
I know a few messy millionaires...though it is worth adding that they inherited.

378a29a6.jpg

Jill

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Or perhaps they can just afford more domestic help!

Seriously, I think it totally depends on the person / personality. I always told my mom, "Creative minds are seldom tidy!" Of course, this never exempted me from cleaning my room. But I do think there is some truth to that. So someone who has earned his wealth through the arts may not be as neat?

On the other hand, if one is in business or engineering of some sort - or perhaps even athletics, he may be more disciplined and/or organized, resulting in greater neatness.

or perhaps they can just afford more domestic help!

Chuck Franke

Advanced Member
Makes sense that those who maximize productivity by say... not posting on the net... would be more productive.

I've read some interesting studies on football players. Most NFL offensive tackles are neat freaks. Move their comb and the first thing they do when they open thier locker is put things back in order. Who do they most resemble personality wise? Secret service agents on the Presidential Protection detail. Guys who protect for a living also seem to be obsessive about every detail (which would make me feel better if either a 320 pound DE or a pistol wielding psycho was after me).

I'm weird (newsflash) - my organization level depends on the task. I can't write javascript for web pages until my desk is clean and the dishes are done.

www.carlofranco.com
Handmade Seven Fold Ties

Aus_MD

quote:Originally posted by Jill
"Creative minds are seldom tidy!" Of course, this never exempted me from cleaning my room.

"If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" - Albert Einstein.

android

For those with OCD, being neat is not a sign of self control. Being able to not arrange your sock drawer 7 times before going to work would be selft control.

VS

Obsessive-compulsiveness has nothing to do with being rich; it's a chemical anomaly.

However, attention to detail probably affects people in a way which could lead to their success. It may have helped Howard Hughes obsess about achieving a goal and work extremely hard to achieve it, for example, before his illness became extreme.

But there are plenty of poor people with thousands of pieces of twine which are all the same size and very clean hands.

Holdfast

Honors Member
There's a difference between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and having a somewhat obsessive (anankastic) personality or indeed just having obsessive-compulsive personality traits.

The association between obsessive-compulsive traits and life success has been studied and documented. The rationale behind the correlation is fairly straightforward - if you're somewhat obsessive about some aspects of your life, you tend to be the same about others. So you tend to finish tasks by deadlines, pass exams, impress your bosses with your efficiency, etc, etc.

Trenditional

quote:Originally posted by CarloFranco

Makes sense that those who maximize productivity by say... not posting on the net... would be more productive.

I've read some interesting studies on football players. Most NFL offensive tackles are neat freaks. Move their comb and the first thing they do when they open thier locker is put things back in order. Who do they most resemble personality wise? Secret service agents on the Presidential Protection detail. Guys who protect for a living also seem to be obsessive about every detail (which would make me feel better if either a 320 pound DE or a pistol wielding psycho was after me).

I'm weird (newsflash) - my organization level depends on the task. I can't write javascript for web pages until my desk is clean and the dishes are done.

www.carlofranco.com
Handmade Seven Fold Ties
Nice! ;)

Deny Guilt, Demand Proof and Never Speak Without an Attorney!

Intrepid

Another famous, rich person suffering from OCD, was Howard Hughes.

He finally died from tertiary syphilis, numerous serious head injuries, and severe over medication by those that "cared for him" during his final years. Doctors said that the OCD couls have been treated with therapy and meds.

Illness is never funny. However, Jack Nicholson did a film " As Good As It Gets" that was superb.

Carpe Diem

GentleCheetah

quote:Originally posted by guitone

I look neat on the outside but don't come in my house;)

guit

Same here. I saw an article (actually a paragraph) on line last week about people who dress themselves well. The key point is that attention to grooming reflects spiritual wellbeing. Well-dressed, elegant people tend to be spirited and high-minded.

It's easy to undertand why. Man is a political being. High-minded people are those who concern themselves mostly with politics in a broad sense. Since Man lives in the society, he is often perceived by his appearance. Therefore, his dresses are his political tools. So it's quite understandable that high-minded people dress themselves well and that low-minded people don't care about their dresses and manners.

The same cannot be said of one's dwelling. The dwelling is something for personal comfort. It is a-political in the sense that it doesn't carry as much political effect as one's appearance does. Furthermore, in a normadic society -- which by the way founded most aristocracies in the world, whose dressing code we still emulate to this day -- there isn't a concept of a fixed house, but personal grooming is of utter importance.

Attention to minute detail is OK when it's called for. If it becomes a daily, routine obsession, one has to do wonder if the man is petty, i.e., lacking high-mindedness and unfit for a political life (read ruling). Therefore, Beckham is only a super-duper footballer, not a ruler, not a noble, not anybody if people suddenly lose interest in football.

Pre-occupation with money without any ideas what greater goods money can bring -- excluding sensual and vulgar pleasures -- is a sure sign of low-mindedness.

The Gentle Cheetah

kenz

quote:Originally posted by CarloFranco

...my organization level depends on the task. I can't write javascript for web pages until my desk is clean and the dishes are done...

I'm the same, but I use a reward system...when I've done (onerous task), then I can do (pleasant task).

MrRogers

Holdfast you beat me to it.....

Many successful people have obsessive compulsive personalities which is different from OCD behaviors most think of...the easiset way to differentiate is when you consider functional impairment in which OCD has plenty and OCPD has very little if any.

Mr OCD will be an hour late for his job at the drive thru because hes checking his locks 100X before he leaves the house. Mr OCPD will be at his CEO position an hour early reviewing the deals for the day

MrR

"Give me the luxuries in life and I'll gladly go without the necessities"

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange