Flanderian

Connoisseur
These shoes are works of art, but some of them, I have to wonder, whose feet are shaped like that??
The wise-*** answer is the guy they were made for, as they're pretty much all bespoke. ;)

But I take your meaning as they generally appear longer and curvier than much of what is depicted. And while none of them actually looks like most feet, the foot is also curvier than it often appears. If you look at two footprints in the sand, or footprints from someone who had wet feet walking by a pool, what you'll see is something that looks rather like commas, elongated, broader and rounded in the front, thin in the middle and with a heel much narrower than the forefoot. You can actually often tell more about the fit of a shoe by looking at the sole than the upper.

And if you look at the sole of the last Fukuda shoe I posted, the sole isn't all that different from the comma I described. The upper only looks very different because we're not accustomed to seeing shoes made with this degree of precision and art. Very narrow waists are one of the hallmarks of great shoes, and actually very comfortable because they mimic the contact patch of the sole of the foot.

Shoes with an elongated last are deceptive because you're quite right that feet aren't shaped that way. But in such lasts the forefoot doesn't fill the full length of the toe box and is instead nestled in the broader portion behind the tip. It may not look comfortable, but it can be. I have only one pair of footwear on an slightly elongated last, and it fits as I describe, but is very comfortable. I attached a photo of the boot's sole below.

So while the curvy, elongated lasts with a last that appears very narrow may not look like a foot, they can in fact provide these sleek curves while often also furnishing a very comfortable fit.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
These shoes are works of art, but some of them, I have to wonder, whose feet are shaped like that??
Added today, this photo of a sole level head-on (I guess that should be toe-on. ;)) view of a pair of Yohei Fukuda shoes, while not swoopy and curvey actually has a shape remarkably similar to what a foot would look like photographed from the same perspective.

JBierly

Advanced Member
I think the misconception really is whose feet look like most shoes that have very wide waists. If you look at your foot you realize that a very narrow waist is more reflective of the footprint of a typical foot unless you have an extremely flat foot. I agree that the elongation of the toe box is not necessary for most feet. Indeed a very narrow waist and a short rounded toe would probably be the shape of a shoe that would conform to most feet.

ItalianStyle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Back in the 1980's in my country, people whose jobs involved a lot of walking or standing were advised to wear these shoes as they were - allegedly - the best shape for your feet.

They might be, but they're not exactly stylish...
iu.jpg

Titus_A

Those are certainly some exquisite leathers, but the propensity for boxed-off toes doesn't do it for me. That Noriyuki Misawa at the top of the page, though: that's beautiful.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Egad, at that price and given my past demonstrated inclinations, I suspect if I were to buy a pair, I would be afraid to wear them out in the real world...and I would be stuck with another pair of closet queens! However, they are so, sooo beautiful. :(

JBierly

Advanced Member
^^
Egad, at that price and given my past demonstrated inclinations, I suspect if I were to buy a pair, I would be afraid to wear them out in the real world...and I would be stuck with another pair of closet queens! However, they are so, sooo beautiful. :(
Those shoes need to come out of the closet! No queens in the closet.

JBierly

Advanced Member
Thanks for explaining the term "boxed-off" as I had not encountered it before. The epitome of the chisel-toe, the English maker Cleverly -

And these, credited as Yohie Fukuda RTW. At least I think that is what is trying to be conveyed. If so, they look as good as his bespoke -

http://bespoke-makers.tumblr.com/post/167480104313/yohei-fukuda-yoheifukudashoemaker-rtw-shoes-in

There is some slight variation of the chisel toe depending on the maker. At least for G and G they have a classic square and a soft square. As for Fukuda RTW and bespoke I think they are the same shoe quality wise - but I guess that's the reason they are $2300.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
^^
It's so far past my budget, that I can only talk about them like I do art work in museums. It's in the budget area of "if you have to ask how much..."

All that said, if serendipity brought them to me, like you, I'd have a hard time wearing them as nothing I do / nowhere I go in my life lives up to or demands the artistry and skills of Yohei Fukuda nor the cost of his creations.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.