drpeter

Amazing stuff. I have read in a couple of blogs (including Shoegazing, I think) that Japanese shoes are really top-notch now, especially from the skilled craftsmen like Yohei: Brogues, captoes, wholecuts, longwings and so on. I think the look is very English, though, and when I saw these images, I immediately thought of the Crockett & Jones style, with a bit of flare in the toebox and a pronounced waist.

I must add that this is the first time I've seen a leather teddy bear, though, LOL. Very cute.

WDG

Starting Member
I have no idea who makes these but OMG!

View attachment 55472
I could be mistaken, but those look like Taft Saints, to me:
0F514289-DA86-4B21-AD84-69EFDD3EED30.jpeg

They also have an interesting jodhpur in weave.
(I’ve become a bit of a sucker for weaves, the last two or three years.)
2691E159-A0C3-4C81-AB75-37598DEB141C.jpeg

Last edited:

bigbobbailey

Starting Member
I think they might be. A bold question or perhaps only a foolish one. But superlatives beg comparisons. First I haven't personally traded with all the world's shoemakers, or even all of those in Japan. So I'm going strictly by eyeball scrutiny of those to which I've been exposed. And foolish also because of the proper esteem held for the many fine makes of Northamtonshire, Italy, Spain and eastern Europe.

And what do I mean by best? Because it can quite properly mean different things to different people. My definition is simple, the most beautiful shoes, of the most careful precision made from exquisite materials. And based solely upon this description, the shoes I'm seeing are not of the best, but among the best ever!

Now should you wish to ask how you may acquire such, it's really simple, all you will need is $3,000+, a round trip 1st class ticket to Japan, and about a year's patience. :D

Seiji McCarthy -

TYE Shoemakers -

Yohei Fukuda -

On the hoof -
I would say definitely the finest shoes are now bespoke made in Japan. When my clients ask for a recommendation I always suggest Shoji Kawaguchi at Marquess shoes in Tokyo. He is a true master of his trade and lives and breathes bespoke shoes. Pure dedication. But I think it’s a long waiting time like all things in life it’s worth waiting for.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.