srivats

Does anyone here own shoes that are made by the Arrow Moccasin company?
https://www.arrowmoc.com/

Here is a very detailed thread from the other forum. And a detailed review with some good photos:

A case study of MY Arrow experience. :) (BTW garmis, nice job moving to the Vineyard! I'm there every summer and would love to eventually live there full time. How do you like it?)

I live the next town over from their shop in Hudson, MA, so I was lucky to be able to drive 10 minutes there, with the intention of handling some of their mocs and ordering a pair of the double eye'd mocs, to be picked up 5 weeks later or so.

Walked in and was overwhelmed with the awesome smell of leather. It was intense. They had leather mocs, jackets hanging up, bracelets, pouches, etc. The woman that helped me was extremely friendly and talked to me at great length about caring for the mocs, etc. She went in the shop and brought out a pair of the exact mocs that I wanted, but told me they were already sold. Let me tell you, the quality is insane. You can tell each stitch, cut, and knot was done by hand. The leather was as thick as a piece of cardboard, and the surface was incredibly soft.

I tried them on and they fit like a glove. She returned to the back room, and I guess Paul (the owner) had authorized her to sell them. They were the double sole version, and I had originally wanted the single just to wear around my dorm room, but for an extra $12 it was well worth it. I honestly don't think I can wear these out in the next 10 years. The leather in the sole is just too thick.

Ended up walking out wearing the mocs that I though I had to wait over a month for. Needless to say I'm thrilled.

I wore them in the car, and after about 5 minutes with the A/C on, the car started to reek of leather! I love it! I'm kind of an enthusiastic driver, and these soles really let me feel the pedals (e.g., use my big toe for the gas), making them excellent driving shoes. They look to be something between a boatshoe and a traditional moc.

Here's some pictures.

Sparknotes: absolutely thrilled. Let me echo someone else's post: Top quality leather that is hand dyed, cut and stitched in house, in the United States. These things should be at least twice the price.

JakeLA

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have not experienced those but, from the pics, the do look quite nice and potentially, very comfortable. Do they sport a padded insole, perchance?
I have the ankle boot version of the above shoe.

There's no padded insole, the insole is the sole. Extremely thick leather; it's close to 1/4" thick (which means if you get a double-sole verison you're standing on 1/2" of leather). Very handmade-looking, very study, and very comfortable. But you'd better like the smell of leather, because while the smell dissipates a little after you've worn them a while, it never goes away. It's like wearing baseball mitts on your feet.

Bartolo

I live pretty close to Hudson, MA. I'd love to support a local business but I don't see any style that to me is even remotely "wearable." What am I missing?

Cardinals5

Honors Member
I've considered Arrow Mocs for a long time, but could never pull the trigger - the aesthetics are pretty great on the simpler models, but they appear a bit too rustic to me. When I get around to wearing out my Bean slipper/mocs, I'll probably go with Townview's Deerskin-lined Double-Sole Mocs (actually a triple layer of leather with bullhide on the outsoles), which seem a steal at $90.

Clay J

Arrow wins, only because Townview has a link to a youtube video.

back on topic however; I want the ankle boots!

Tom Buchanan

It would be interesting to buy a pair of the Arrow Canoe Mocs and then have a local cobbler sew a camp moc rubber sole and insole into them.

Yes, it defeats the true mocassin idea, but what a camp moc that would be!

Last edited:

The Rambler

Honors Member
They get wet, and then get damaged if you walk on concrete or asphalt. Otherwise, they're fine, I have a pair of Gokeys that hav lasted for 20+ years with one resole. But their life is almost over, so I'm very glad to learn of those nice looking townviews - once again, you amaze me, Cards - and for 99 bucks might just give them a shot.

The Rambler

Honors Member
In fact, I just did order a pair of Townviews: they are $79 ppd for unlined, $89 lined. If they are as good as they look, maybe the guys are right about Quoddy prices.

Cardinals5

Honors Member
In fact, I just did order a pair of Townviews: they are $79 ppd for unlined, $89 lined. If they are as good as they look, maybe the guys are right about Quoddy prices.
That's great news, Rambler. Give us a photo and review when you get a chance - I've heard they're significantly softer than the Arrows, but haven't done any direct comparisons. As for getting wet - I walk my dog in the dewy grass every morning and then walk across pavement. It certainly lessens the life of the double leather soles on my Bean mocs, but that isn't always a bad thing when you've a pair of Townviews in sight.

The Rambler

Honors Member
Will do - with any luck they'll be here before I depart for Montana :)icon_smile:) on Wednesday. You had better get dog-walking: the charming Gayanne told me, in a disarming down east accent, that they may have to start charging for postage for the Christmas season. She also told me the leather is from Maine, exceping the bullhide outersole, which is from California.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.