Gurdon

By writing the graffiti on the roll up door, rather than the wall itself, the individuals who put them up appear to have respected the merit of the building. Whether this is customary there, or just incidental in this instance, is another matter.

In any case, your son is fortunate in being able to look at that wonderful building often, and up close should he wish to do so.

Regards,
Gurdon

Chouan

Honors Member
By writing the graffiti on the roll up door, rather than the wall itself, the individuals who put them up appear to have respected the merit of the building. Whether this is customary there, or just incidental in this instance, is another matter.

In any case, your son is fortunate in being able to look at that wonderful building often, and up close should he wish to do so.

Regards,
Gurdon
There is much graffiti in Barcelona, invariably on the steel shutters etc rather than on the fabric of the buildings.

Langham

Honors Member
Similarly William Morris, without whom the Nouveau movement may not have blossomed:
I too long admired William Morris, but I have never thought of him in terms of Art Nouveau. To me, he was (and is) all about Victorian Gothic Revival. By coincidence I have been giving some thought to various wallpapers he designed, and which are still commercially available, having recently moved into a house where they would be suitable.

As for Art Nouveau, I now associate it, rightly or wrongly, with various Toulouse-Lautrec posters I had in my room as a teenager - I think this was one, it seemed to be a piece with the Paris metro signs:

Jane-Avril.jpeg

Shaver

Suspended
You chaps have evidenced that you prefer deco over nouveau, and by some considerable margin.

However, your old uncle Shaver swims fearlessly against the tide, in this as in most instances.

At any rate, I was passing by this building yesterday and couldn't resist a snap. Wiener Secessionsgebäude, the very temple of Art Nouveau, which instructs us thusly:

"Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst ihre Freiheit".

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.