Flanderian

Connoisseur
I wonder why Beardsley never did anything in color. Or if he did, I've never seen any.
To the best of my knowledge he only worked in pen and ink, but he died so very young that it's impossible to know what his later work might have been like.

Some of what he did were book illustrations and ad posters. A quick search yielded two with color, but whether Beardsley himself colored them, or it was added by the printer, I can't say. Though it's well integrated with the total design, so the color may have been intended when he created them. But I'll note I've also seen uncolored version of the Venus drawing.

aubrey-beardsley-girl-in-red-gown-vintage-advertising-poster-studio-grafiikka.jpg

AB08.jpg

Big T

I've been in a few apartment buildings in NYC over the years that still have "birdcage" elevators that are nearly as elaborate. They are insanely cool. From memory, they were all in buildings from ~1890 to ~1920.
Didn't the Shady Rest, on Petticoat Junction have one? Seem to remember Uncle Joe (not that Uncle Joe) buying one to "class up the joint", even though it was pure decoration and non-operational!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals