As a group,can we "sticky" define a few things?

justonemore

Elite Member
I accidently hijacked a recent thread from a member wishing to provide us with an opportunity to see photos of his new loake Chukkas. I apologize for such to GWW and thought I'd start a new thread concerning this matter... As such, I was hoping that a few of us could come together and try to define a few items in their "proper" terms. I think that we have enough experience that with a few posts, we can come up with perhaps a few updated "stickies" (a.k.a. permanant posts that we can link "newbies" to when repetitive questions arrive). I will start the idea off with posts from the thread I just mentioned, all of which concern "Chukkas", "George boots", "Desert Boots".... I have taken the liberty of quoting other members form the post & I do hope they are willing to forgive me for such...:)... I do hope for everyone's advice and corrections....

Welcome to the club Buddy. You're now sporting a style championed amongst our most revered members. Just for clarification.... to my limited knowledge.... chukka's have 2-3 eyelets.... desert boots have 4-5...... Tanker boots have 6. What you have is a 3 eyelet chukka and not a desert boot...but... I wouldn't mind a bit of back up from our more experienced members...

I wasn't aware of that eyelet distinction at all as Clarks Desert Boots have 2 eyelets. I thought it was the crepe sole that was important to the desert boot designation. I agree that the Plimlicos are a 3-eyelet chukka though.

^ Agreed.

Chukka is the general configuration.

Desert boots are a particular type of, less formal, Chukka always with a crepe sole and often (but not exclusively) in tan suede.

That's my understanding also. Certainly suede and crepe soles are defining elements of the desert boot. Almost always round-toed as well, with a smaller rather than greater number of eyelets.

Desert boots may well be termed a subset of the chukka boot, less formal, and more flexible and lightweight construction.
Here's another subdivision of the chukka, the George boot, which is new to me, but on a different thread, and just this morning I saw the term again while perusing .

In black, they have the Monaco "Chukka" boot and also the , which is notably taller.

Sunday morning trivia.

So Alden is pretty much misleading their clients when they label their products? These look to be pretty much the same with the exception of a bit of stiching and the buckle....

Alden shell "Chukka".....

https://imageshack.com/i/0yjl07j

Alden shell "George Boot"....

https://imageshack.com/i/0sdh5dj

Side by side photos.... I don't really see a height difference to speak of.

https://imageshack.com/i/gin3kfj

https://imageshack.com/i/jm7vh1j

https://imageshack.com/i/0smq6rj

This is what Leather Soul Hawaii sells Under Alden shell "Desert Boots". They're pretty close to the "chukkas" and George boots" aren't they? Different last and a few more eyelets...

https://imageshack.com/i/ido1CZW5j

It appears that we also have further "U.K." "George Boots" without buckles straight from the military...

There is secure precedent for the wearing of boots with a dinner jacket. The ones you show differ somewhat, and yet are not entirely dissimilar to the standard military footwear for mess dress, which is the George boot - occasionally worn also with black tie, by former officers.

I would guess that out of the several examples recently shown that a few of our more experienced members can come up with a rather reasonable sticky for reference use....

Last edited:
Alden's use of "george boot" for their buckled chukka is a slight anomaly -- the conventional use (and this is a pretty niche convention) is for a tall chukka like the Sander's version.

I have no idea why LSH sells those as "desert boots," since most people think of what Shaver describes when they hear the term desert boots.

But really, this is minutiae, and hardly deserves a "sticky" thread.

justonemore

Elite Member
Alden's use of "george boot" for their buckled chukka is a slight anomaly -- the conventional use (and this is a pretty niche convention) is for a tall chukka like the Sander's version.

I have no idea why LSH sells those as "desert boots," since most people think of what Shaver describes when they hear the term desert boots.

But really, this is minutiae, and hardly deserves a "sticky" thread.

Ahhh. So in your thoughts there can really be no set definition compared to that which the manufactures wish to give in the marketing pamphlets? I.E. Lapel styles can be identified due to limited choice but shoes/boots are too diverse to define within (too) set terms?

Last edited:

momsdoc

Connoisseur
Why not make it more confusing. What are these Enzo Bonafe Monkey Boots?

nwnepe.jpg

And while we're at it let's add the Rider Jackson.

2nalbgk.jpg

Ahhh. So in your thoughts there can really be no set definition compared to that which the manufactures wish to give in the marketing pamphlets? I.E. Lapel styles can be identified due to limited choice but shoes/boots are too diverse to define within (too) set terms?

There's a set definition of "desert boots," and there's a set definition of "george boots." Some shoemakers choose to call shoes something they're not, but if the only thing making it a "desert boot" is the writing on the box, then it ain't a desert boot.

Similarly, if a shoemaker made a tan suede casual chukka on a crepe sole, but never called it a "desert boot," that doesn't make it much less of a desert boot.

And, of course, we can quibble about the exact definition of a shoe style -- does a desert boot have to be a "stitch-down" shoe where the upper is turned out and stitched through, or can it be welted? Is a shoe like the Church's Grafton a longwing blucher?

Bernie Zack

Goodness! No objectivity in classification and definitions, it seems! "Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria . . . "
Thank you for attempting to define these categories, I have one pair of Florsheim wingtip boots, and I'm not sure what to call them, but I appreciate the lesson!

LordSmoke

I seem to recall finding such a thread, probably here, when I was looking for some suede chukkas. I also refrained in another thread from noting Russels use of the term "oxford" when all I saw on there site were bluchers. A sticky of defs and abbreviations if it doesn't already exist would be helpful.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange