AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
Is this Trad? What does OCBD mean? No need to start a (new and possibly redundant) thread on it, just ask it here for a quick answer.

At the suggestion of one of our esteemed members we are starting this thread (in emulation of one in a forum far, far away) in hopes of encouraging newbies (or even forum veterans) to ask questions in good faith and get good faith answers. That means no intentionally goofball questions and give actual serious answers.

AlanC

See a glossary here:

End-on-end (also end-and-end or end-to-end) – closely woven fabric with alternating fine colored yarn and a white yarn creating a mini checkered effect with a smooth texture.
I think it might work well as a point or club collar.

TradTeacher

How difficult would it be (if it's even possible) to change non-functioning jacket cuff buttons into functioning buttons? I have an unstructured cord jacket that I don't wear much, but one feature I really like about it is the functioning cuff buttons. What might something like this cost?

TT:teacha:

AlanC

You would need to make sure the cloth was there for the necessary overlap. If it is, then putting in working cuff buttons is very possible. I've heard quotes of $15-$25/button. You'd have to check with you alterations tailor.

Make sure you have the sleeve length right where you want it before you start.

AlanC

There will be no indication on the tag. What I do is separate the interior cloth from the front chest/lapel area and then see if I can feel a third independent piece between them. If the chest cloth feels any thicker than the interior cloth or you can't feel that independent floating piece, it's fused. You can also pinch and move your fingers back and forth.

wnh

Advanced Member
There will be no indication on the tag. What I do is separate the interior cloth from the front chest/lapel area and then see if I can feel a third independent piece between them. If the chest cloth feels any thicker than the interior cloth or you can't feel that independent floating piece, it's fused. You can also pinch and move your fingers back and forth.
I've always read this but never quite understood. How, exactly, do you feel the canvas? Is it the kind of thing that once you know what it feels like, you know what it feels like? I've got a Brooksease suit that, to my knowledge, should be half-canvassed. Where do I do the pinch test to feel for the canvas?

TradTeacher

I bought a pair of medium gray gabardines from BB that I really like with a blazer. I also like the look of a multi-colored houndstooth or windowpane wool trouser with a blazer (as long as navy is mixed into the scheme of the pants). Can keep it interesting...

TT:teacha:

CaptCrunch

Starting Member
I'm far away from any place where I could figure this out on my own (i.e. try these on) and my searches of previous threads did not reveal the answer.

If I am a 9.5 D in the Van-lasted LHS, what size would I be in a Hampton-lasted lace-up?

Thank you!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.