Yates

Starting Member
Hey Trad Dads - Is there such a thing as a trad diaper bag? I imagine there might be some bags that may have been built for another purpose but doubles well.
I'd just get an LL Bean tote...
Yes. I used a medium LL Bean tote with long handles and a zip top. Have it embroidered with your child's initials and it will go off to college with them.

The most important part of the diaper bag, I found, was packing cubes (and gallon ziploc bags) inside to manage everything the little one needs.

NateNash

Starting Member
Yes. I used a medium LL Bean tote with long handles and a zip top. Have it embroidered with your child's initials and it will go off to college with them.

The most important part of the diaper bag, I found, was packing cubes (and gallon ziploc bags) inside to manage everything the little one needs.
Thanks all! Have my first one on the way and trying to find a practical, but not ugly solution.

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Shot in the dark here - does anyone recall if shoes go on sale for 40%+15% during Brooks Bros Dec 26th sale? Specifically, the Peal patent leathers...
Thanks

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Thoughts on 100% silk slacks?
I've never had or (I think) seen a pair. Other than ties, most items I've seen that have silk in them are blends - silk with wool, cotton or linen or some combination of those.

My assumption - never thought that much about it 'till your question - is that silk is too "fine" to be the only material in pants, a suit, etc., so it is usually blended with more substantial materials when used in those type of items to provide structure, drape and durability.

That said, many AAAC members like @Matt S know a lot more about this than I do, so hopefully they'll post as well.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I've never had or (I think) seen a pair. Other than ties, most items I've seen that have silk in them are blends - silk with wool, cotton or linen or some combination of those.

My assumption - never thought that much about it 'till your question - is that silk is too "fine" to be the only material in pants, a suit, etc., so it is usually blended with more substantial materials when used in those type of items to provide structure, drape and durability.

That said, many AAAC members like @Matt S know a lot more about this than I do, so hopefully they'll post as well.
There are definitely 100% silk trousers, as well as 100% silk suits. I had a pair of silk trousers that were quite heavy, not fine at all. Silk can drape very nicely. But I don't recommend it because it is delicate.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
There are definitely 100% silk trousers, as well as 100% silk suits. I had a pair of silk trousers that were quite heavy, not fine at all. Silk can drape very nicely. But I don't recommend it because it is delicate.
Thank you. Only after your post, it jarred my memory, did I remember an "old timer" at work in the '80s who wore an all-silk slub suit in the summer - it was heavy as heck, but as you note, draped nicely.

August West

Shot in the dark here - does anyone recall if shoes go on sale for 40%+15% during Brooks Bros Dec 26th sale? Specifically, the Peal patent leathers...
Thanks
In years past, Brooks used to temporarily remove some shoes from the website just prior to a sale. The unlined cordovan loafers being one such example.

The workaround would be to put the shoes in your cart prior to the item being removed from the site. I have not tried this tactic anytime in the last few years though. It's possible Brooks may now have a more sophisticated means to exclude items from sales. I'd say it's worth a try.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Thank you. Only after your post, it jarred my memory, did I remember an "old timer" at work in the '80s who wore an all-silk slub suit in the summer - it was heavy as heck, but as you note, draped nicely.
Silk comes in many forms. I love the look of Roger Moore's James Bond's many shiny and slubby dupioni silk suits. The trousers I was talking about had a smooth texture with a dull sheen. I think I still have them in the back of my closet, but I lost weight shortly after I got them and now they're much too big.

New Old Stock

Unfortunately the shoes I had my eye on aren't included in todays sale.

On a related note, what are the forums feelings on black velvet slippers worn with a tuxedo?
Anyone know who makes the Brooks versions? Can anyone comment on their fit & finish?
They appear to have a very square toe...

Roboyle

Starting Member
I recently picked up a J. Press suit on Ebay. Unfortunately, it's a 42L and I'm more of a 41/42R. I'm trying to determine if it's worth taking to a tailor, here's my holdup:

Assuming all else can be tailored well, how low is it acceptable for the bottom button to be? The top (functional) button is about 1.5 inches above my navel, which I think is good, but the bottom button is slightly below the waistline of the pants (which also have a very high rise).

I'm thinking about posting photos later to get more information about all the possible alterations I'm considering. Thanks!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I recently picked up a J. Press suit on Ebay. Unfortunately, it's a 42L and I'm more of a 41/42R. I'm trying to determine if it's worth taking to a tailor, here's my holdup:

Assuming all else can be tailored well, how low is it acceptable for the bottom button to be? The top (functional) button is about 1.5 inches above my navel, which I think is good, but the bottom button is slightly below the waistline of the pants (which also have a very high rise).

I'm thinking about posting photos later to get more information about all the possible alterations I'm considering. Thanks!
Yes--Please post photos. We'll need to see how the suit looks on you in order to give you advice that is worth anything. What's "acceptable"? Objective "rules" are useful only up to a point; ultimately, the answer is determined by how something looks on you and only you.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Desert boots sand suede made in italy, good buy or not, for dry winter days?

Since mine are unlined, I wear them with a heavy sock and think they look great and do well on DRY winter days.

In the winter, I'll wear them with jeans, cords or chinos.

I do have a pair of fleece-lined ones that I wear on really, really cold days.

I like the look of the ones you showed - whose are they?

LewisDias

Since mine are unlined, I wear them with a heavy sock and think they look great and do well on DRY winter days.

In the winter, I'll wear them with jeans, cords or chinos.

I do have a pair of fleece-lined ones that I wear on really, really cold days.

I like the look of the ones you showed - whose are they?

I already have some in Besswax but they are made in Vietnam.
I found these at a local store here in Lisbon, and noticed they were made in italy and liked the color for cold sunny days.
The model is clarks desert boots

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I already have some in Besswax but they are made in Vietnam.
I found these at a local store here in Lisbon, and noticed they were made in italy and liked the color for cold sunny days.
The model is clarks desert boots
I love to wear mine in the winter, like you, in part, because of the color.

Good luck - I think you'll enjoy them.

LewisDias

It is normal in the store I like a lot of boots, find beautiful, but then when I try them on the foot and look in the mirror do not like anything?
It seems strange, too big and clumsy when I see them in the mirror, in this case the desert boots sand that I posted on top ...
I was undecided at the store but I didn't buy them.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.