Charles Dana

Honors Member
I have been enjoying the Made in USA OCBD from BB given the large discounts. However, I was wondering if these shirts are considered formal or dressed up enough for professional attire where the rest of the outfit is a suit? Are these more for casual wear with chinos or can they be worn with a suit?
They are “dressed up enough” to be worn with a suit. In the 1920s, some prep school kids wore them with a suit in order to be fashion-forward. Things have changed since then.

Good enough for William F. Buckley Jr., good enough for you.

Since this is election day, I’ll ask you a question related to presidential shirts. Who are the only two presidents who, while in office, sometimes wore shirts with button-down collars with their suits?

Answer: Lyndon Johnson and Gerald Ford.

Johnson favored tab collars, but he wore button-down collars occasionally. When he signed the Medicare bill into law in July 1965, he wore a short-sleeve shirt with a button-down collar with his dark suit.

TKI67

They are “dressed up enough” to be worn with a suit. In the 1920s, some prep school kids wore them with a suit in order to be fashion-forward. Things have changed since then.

Good enough for William F. Buckley Jr., good enough for you.

Since this is election day, I’ll ask you a question related to presidential shirts. Who are the only two presidents who, while in office, sometimes wore shirts with button-down collars with their suits?

Answer: Lyndon Johnson and Gerald Ford.

Johnson favored tab collars, but he wore button-down collars occasionally. When he signed the Medicare bill into law in July 1965, he wore a short-sleeve shirt with a button-down collar with his dark suit.
A cool bit of history.

Zim

Starting Member
I'm buying my father an O'Connell's Shetland sweater for Christmas to replace one he lost 10 years ago. Does anyone know if the chest size is accurate in the sense of a 44 being exactly 44 inches around the chest or if there's some degree of extra allowance?

I couldn't get his sport coat size but his wife was able to measure one of his favorites sweaters at 23 inches across the front. I am note sure if I should be looking at a 44 or 46.

To muddy things a bit, my sport coat size is a 43l. Going by O'Connell's suggestion to size up I'd wear a 44 sweater. My father is a bit smaller in all dimensions that I am, couple inches shorter, as well as slimmer in the waist and I believe in the chest. I am worried a 46 would be a tent on him and that even a 44 would be large.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I'm buying my father an O'Connell's Shetland sweater for Christmas to replace one he lost 10 years ago. Does anyone know if the chest size is accurate in the sense of a 44 being exactly 44 inches around the chest or if there's some degree of extra allowance?

I couldn't get his sport coat size but his wife was able to measure one of his favorites sweaters at 23 inches across the front. I am note sure if I should be looking at a 44 or 46.

To muddy things a bit, my sport coat size is a 43l. Going by O'Connell's suggestion to size up I'd wear a 44 sweater. My father is a bit smaller in all dimensions that I am, couple inches shorter, as well as slimmer in the waist and I believe in the chest. I am worried a 46 would be a tent on him and that even a 44 would be large.
Call O’Connell’s and talk to Ethan. Tell him exactly what you wrote above. He will clear up everything.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals