Charles Dana

Honors Member
I'm buying my father an O'Connell's Shetland sweater for Christmas to replace one he lost 10 years ago. Does anyone know if the chest size is accurate in the sense of a 44 being exactly 44 inches around the chest or if there's some degree of extra allowance?

I couldn't get his sport coat size but his wife was able to measure one of his favorites sweaters at 23 inches across the front. I am note sure if I should be looking at a 44 or 46.

To muddy things a bit, my sport coat size is a 43l. Going by O'Connell's suggestion to size up I'd wear a 44 sweater. My father is a bit smaller in all dimensions that I am, couple inches shorter, as well as slimmer in the waist and I believe in the chest. I am worried a 46 would be a tent on him and that even a 44 would be large.
Call O’Connell’s and talk to Ethan. Tell him exactly what you wrote above. He will clear up everything.

ztrad5

Starting Member
Thanks so much for the answer above. I'm more comfortable wearing the OCBD with my suits given your input.

Regarding shoes, I have a pair of AE McAllister wingtips in walnut brown, black Oxford captoe shoes, and dark brown Oxford captoe shoes. I am hoping to add a loafer. What do folks recommend for a first versatile loafer? Would you all recommend Alden burgundy cordovan tassel loafers, Gucci horsebit loafers in black with silver buckle (may be too flashy), or something else entirely?
Just a follow-up, I went with the classic Gucci horsebit loafers in black with the silver bit. Really enjoying them - the horsebit jingle is a nice sound and the shoes are very comfortable. Looking to get the Aldens next.

FLMike

Connoisseur
Thanks so much for the answer above. I'm more comfortable wearing the OCBD with my suits given your input.

Regarding shoes, I have a pair of AE McAllister wingtips in walnut brown, black Oxford captoe shoes, and dark brown Oxford captoe shoes. I am hoping to add a loafer. What do folks recommend for a first versatile loafer? Would you all recommend Alden burgundy cordovan tassel loafers, Gucci horsebit loafers in black with silver buckle (may be too flashy), or something else entirely?
The clear answer is Alden 563, followed by Alden 986. Then the Gucci bits.

ldl

Starting Member
Hi, I am a Master's student who will graduate to work on wall street this summer. I am hoping to gain some advice on my next shoe purchase.
My current collection consists of
LL Bean Camp Mocs
John Lobb lopez loafers in dark brown
Alden Tassels #8 cordovan
Black oxfords, (made bespoke for my dad and handed down to me)
Paraboot Avoriaz boots

Would love to hear recommendations for my next shoe. I was thinking Loro Piana Summer Walks, suede brogues, or black Gucci Snaffles. Would be very open to other suggestions though.

ztrad5

Starting Member
Hi, I am a Master's student who will graduate to work on wall street this summer. I am hoping to gain some advice on my next shoe purchase.
My current collection consists of
LL Bean Camp Mocs
John Lobb lopez loafers in dark brown
Alden Tassels #8 cordovan
Black oxfords, (made bespoke for my dad and handed down to me)
Paraboot Avoriaz boots

Would love to hear recommendations for my next shoe. I was thinking Loro Piana Summer Walks, suede brogues, or black Gucci Snaffles. Would be very open to other suggestions though.

Congrats - how do you like the Alden Tassels?
I went with the black Gucci silver horsebit and really enjoy them! I would imagine those are perfect for wall street!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I have two cable knit Brooks sweater vests coming in from ebay. Can't find anything like that on their site. Country Club cotton vest. ??
If I'm interpreting your question correctly, in years past, BB's "Country Club" line was much more extensive than it is today and, yes, it carried cable knit sweater vests in that line. I can still see them on the table in the Country Club section of the second floor of the Madison Avenue store. I don't remember when the line started, but several years ago, BB seemed to be dramatically deemphasizing the line.

But for awhile, it was a pretty extensive line that contained a lot of what I guess were country-club-style clothes. I only know about country clubs from what I've seen in the movies (which is, of course, suspect) and the two or three weddings I've been to at them over many years. In general, the clothes in the BB Country Club line were in brighter colors and, generally, more spring/summer like in textures and weights.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Even thou it is cotton, Navy and Cream are the right colours for me . Too bad they are stuck in New York weather.
I bought a used book from a dealer in Ohio, the book - according to USPS tracking - has been in a New York "sorting facility" for seven days with the delivery date having been missed and pushed out four times so far.

Last edited:

mhj

I had a package stuck en route and filed an inquiry with USPS. After I finally received it I got a phone call apologizing from a supervisor at my local PO. I was extremely impressed.

fishertw

Advanced Member
I had a package stuck en route and filed an inquiry with USPS. After I finally received it I got a phone call apologizing from a supervisor at my local PO. I was extremely impressed.
I am in a region of NC whose mail seems to come through the Greensboro facility. Recently I was made aware that a lot of the staff in that facility are out with Covid which is causing shortages of workers and slowdown of delivery to outlying PO's

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I am thinking of getting an O'Connell's Denim Shetland instead of the standard O'Connell's Navy Shetland. What do you all think? I feel like the denim is more interesting visually than the navy but still equally as versatile.
This has always been my school of thought regarding shetlands. I leave solid colors to the more "refined" fabrics & styles. A shetland, especially a brushed one, has so much more character when the colors are heathered, I think.

never behind

This has always been my school of thought regarding shetlands. I leave solid colors to the more "refined" fabrics & styles. A shetland, especially a brushed one, has so much more character when the colors are heathered, I think.
I can say I love all my Shetlands but I do find myself enjoying colors like Rust vs navy or Forrest green, for this reason.
I am thinking of getting an O'Connell's Denim Shetland instead of the standard O'Connell's Navy Shetland. What do you all think? I feel like the denim is more interesting visually than the navy but still equally as versatile.
I do have a navy Shetland and have been looking at a lighter color blue. I was looking at Blue Danube but this one is nice as well!

philipneri

Starting Member
I can say I love all my Shetlands but I do find myself enjoying colors like Rust vs navy or Forrest green, for this reason.

I do have a navy Shetland and have been looking at a lighter color blue. I was looking at Blue Danube but this one is nice as well!
I like the look of Blue Danube as well. How many Shetlands do you have? What are your favorites?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.