ztrad5

Starting Member
Hi all, starting to look towards spring/summer and investing in a poplin suit. O'Connell's has three color options: British tan, Olive, and Oyster. All look attractive but I'm drawn most to British tan. Was hoping for some insight as to the classic choice for a first piece. I am looking at the house brand which seem like a good price at $595. Here's the link to the British tan option: https://oconnellsclothing.com/suits...on-poplin-british-tan-835-1-ds04-brt-tan.html

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Hi all, starting to look towards spring/summer and investing in a poplin suit. O'Connell's has three color options: British tan, Olive, and Oyster. All look attractive but I'm drawn most to British tan. Was hoping for some insight as to the classic choice for a first piece.
My gut feeling is that tan should be the color of your first poplin suit. Then olive.

Once tan and olive are in your rotation, go wild with oyster.

Jack_Aubrey

Starting Member
I received a Jos. A Banks Travelers shirt as a gift five years ago and it was and is very surprisingly high quality. My Q is are they still good shirts? I'm trying to find a replacement for Brooks Brothers since their sizing has gone haywire and quality may be changing with new ownership. Thanks in advance for an answer.

TKI67

I received a Jos. A Banks Travelers shirt as a gift five years ago and it was and is very surprisingly high quality. My Q is are they still good shirts? I'm trying to find a replacement for Brooks Brothers since their sizing has gone haywire and quality may be changing with new ownership. Thanks in advance for an answer.
I have always found them to be well made and well proportioned. I often thought that if JAB had offered them in guaranteed to wrinkle oxford as opposed to treated pinpoint, they might have retained more of the Trad customer base. I have, however, no recent experience with them.

ldl

Starting Member
Congrats - how do you like the Alden Tassels?
I went with the black Gucci silver horsebit and really enjoy them! I would imagine those are perfect for wall street!
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I love the Alden Tassels. It was my first pair of shoes that were bought for me actually that's currently in my collection. I think the cordovan is definitely the way to go and looks great. I just bought the black Gucci bits and love them.
Thanks

L. B. Goold

Starting Member
Is it counterproductive to wear a vest with a seersucker shirt? I have a pink candy stripe that looks positively fluorescent on the placket and yoke on account of the extra cloth and my complexion.

ztrad5

Starting Member
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I love the Alden Tassels. It was my first pair of shoes that were bought for me actually that's currently in my collection. I think the cordovan is definitely the way to go and looks great. I just bought the black Gucci bits and love them.
Thanks
Congrats! They're quite comfortable and make a nice jingle. I am likely going with the Alden Tassels next. The other shoe I've been eyeing is the Belgian Shoe company's Mr Casual model. Another hit on the Street.

LukeRoz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Just got this Royden shotgun shell belt for my birthday. I’m in between a 34 and 36. Would you keep this size or go up to 36? Thanks!
IMG_3164 v2.jpg

LukeRoz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
How stable is your weight? If it is trending downward or stable, this is fine. If it wanders upward, the 36 might be the better choice. Happy birthday! Nice belt.
Thanks! I’ve been fairly stable for a few years so going to stick with this one. Thanks for the reply!

Corcovado

A few years back a catalog of men's hats arrived out of the blue at my parents' house. The catalog was smallish in size, and the depictions of the hats were all hand-drawn, i.e. no photography. I cannot remember the name of the catalog and I wonder if this sounds familiar to anyone here. Any thoughts?

TKI67

Over a long career and many suits I have had oyster, olive, tan, and navy. Olive and oyster got the most use, and IMO are also the most classic colors for a TNSIL type, but I agree with mhj that the navy can fill in quite nicely in a business setting. I love poplin suits.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Like others above, over the past three-plus decades of suit wearing, I've owned poplin in, I believe, every color it came in: navy, tan, stone (oyster), olive and gray.

If I had a need for them, I'd gladly buy them all again as I loved those suits - very comfortable in the summer and opened up all sorts of fun shirt-tie-shoes combination options.

Last edited:

ztrad5

Starting Member
Like others above, over the past three-plus decades of suit wearing, I've owned poplin in, I believe, every color it came in: navy, tan, stone (oyster), olive and gray.

If I had a need for them, I'd gladly buy them all again as I loved those suits - very comfortable in the summer and opened up all sorts of fun shirt-tie-shoes combination options.
Did you also go with O'Connells house brand for your poplin suits?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.